Deconstructing MMA Myths... [Part 7] - Skill Set & MMA Evolution: The HWs Case

Fedor is lucky that top competition “next generation” fighters like Werdum and Hendo weren’t in Pride with him.

They would have beaten guys like Nog, Arlovski, Sergei, with ease, and then gone after Fedor.
ooppzz...must be sarcasm,right? didnt follow the whole shit...

ooppzz...must be sarcasm,right? didnt follow the whole shit...

Yes!

Werdum lost to Big Nog, Sergei, and Arlovski.
Then he beats old, sloppy Fedor.
And it’s because Fedor was fighting cans before Werdum, or because Fedor didn’t evolve.

Hendo wouldn’t have come close to sniffing Fedor in Pride.
He was easily submitted by both Nog brothers, lost to Wand, lost to Misaki, later lost to Rampage.
Then much later, he beat old, sloppy Fedor.

Here’s Werdum’s “evolved” standup and black belt in MT level footwork:
IYB6XVb.gif

I decided to make several threads according to the weight class, coz it´s a different skill set evolotion.

A BW skill set evolution is realistically not relevant here since back in the days, there was no BW weight class, and the few BWs had to fight @ openweight.

Different Fight Configuration means Different Skill Set Evolution.

Yeah as I just mentioned hws would never have to evolve like BW because of the power ..the rules of engagement are completely different i agree ..thats why I'm saying I believe the lowest amount of growth skill wise is heavyweights for various reasons meaning alot of those skilled guys from then would still hang fairly well with most modern hws except for maybe guy like stipe, D.C ,blaydes, ETC.. that's why theres so many elder statesman in the heavier Divisions not too much torch passing going on..in comparison to lets say the WW division where your can literally see a tree of evolution from beginning to present

Yeah as I just mentioned hws would never have to evolve like BW because of the power ..the rules of engagement are completely different i agree ..thats why I'm saying I believe the lowest amount of growth skill wise is heavyweights for various reasons meaning alot of those skilled guys from then would still hang fairly well with most modern hws except for maybe guy like stipe, D.C ,blaydes, ETC.. that's why theres so many elder statesman in the heavier Divisions not too much torch passing going on..in comparison to lets say the WW division where your can literally see a tree of evolution from beginning to present
The HW 2000s generation did evolve since they had to learn the ground game to be competitive in Orgs like Rings & Pancrase.
Moreover, this was a transitional era since some of them were realistically LHWs fighting @ HW, which means a different level of grappling.

Besides, when you fought guys like Sergei, Werdum,Big Nog,Fedor,Crocop,Barnett,Hearring...etc... You cant be realistically afraid of fighting dudes like Stipe or Blaydes, or older Pride fighters stiil competitive in the UFC...

Last edited:
Fujita was 36 in 2006

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back