Deconstructing MMA Myths... [Part 10] - B4 & After USADA...

Speaking as a high level quant guy, you can get into a lot of mischief when you attempt to move from individual-level analysis to more aggregated forms of analysis (see Simpson's paradox for an interesting example).

Moreover, there are quite a few potential confounding variables to think about, primarily related to quality of competition. For example, if your trend line is moving upward for quality of competition during the pre-post period, you would need to control for that (so as to understand the degree to which people are losing because of the pre/post issue rather than just facing tougher guys). Ditto with understanding where fighters are on a career arc...if the pre/post period covers a meaningful period of time, the pre-period might be associated with pre-(natural) decline, and the post-(natural) decline, even ignoring PED use/abandonment.

I haven't dug into any of this, so perhaps someone has already done this.
A 'prime' is naturally made of several dimensions, which are hard to assess since each individual is a different story..

Oh dang son, you ain't one of those poor suckers who goofed off in science and math class, labouring under the youthful delusion that those skills would be no used to you in the "real world" are you?

"Statistical thinking will one day be as necessary a qualification for efficient citizenship as the ability to read and write." - HG WELLS

"Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all." - Charles Babbage

"Data is the sword of the 21st century, those who wield it well, the Samurai." - Jonathan Rosenberg

"Show me someone who goofed off in science and math classes and I'll show you a beta cuck snowflake." - Rum
Pretty sure "The numbers don't lie" is also a quote, lol.

Back