Dealing with a training partner who gets choked unconscious repeatedly (long read)

So why would you choke out your training partners?

Victories don't count in class, so just let the fuck go and attempt another submission. You both know you had it, you don't have to prove it like a douchebag.

Are you taking it out on him because you want to be different or you're mad you're a dubb'er?

dont' submit him make him suffer via dominant position. Knee on belly, side mount, and spread eagle
I concur.

Or use the "bait and release" option, its much more humiliating that way.

Are you taking it out on him because you want to be different or you're mad you're a dubb'er?

Are you implying that you have to get a victory in class by putting your opponent at risk? If so, you may wish to re-evaluate your goals during in class sparring.

If it's a tournament, I'm all for choking that fool out. But in class, any unnecessary risks are... unnecessary. And yes, it's a stupid move on his part, but is that worth putting him at risk? It is my opinion that no, it's not.

Are you implying that you have to get a victory in class by putting your opponent at risk? If so, you may wish to re-evaluate your goals during in class sparring.

If it's a tournament, I'm all for choking that fool out. But in class, any unnecessary risks are... unnecessary. And yes, it's a stupid move on his part, but is that worth putting him at risk? It is my opinion that no, it's not.

He's the one consciously putting himself at risk by refusing to tap. So every time you roll if you lock up a choke you're going to release it just because some idiot won't admit defeat? F**k him, if gets his ass put out then too bad he should have tapped. If I was TS I'd be pissed and straight out say to the guy that he's acting like a douche, either wise up or find another rolling partner.

at least you're not breaking his arms/legs on a regular basis

I remember damaging one spazzy training partner's arm twice in the same session unintentionally because he didn't tap in time and I brought it up to him out of concern and he gave me this speech about how snapping/tweaking his elbow would make his joints stronger

I was too braindead (from training/rolling) and too amazed by the stupidity of his statement to even comment back (although I kind of feel guilty about not doing so)

On the other hand if you're nailing him with the choke every single time, you can transition to the Armbar...if he doens't tap to it..go back to the choke, I mean you already know that you CAN beat him anyways (I was going to use the word "win" but I realized it was just training as well haha :) )

there used to be this guy like that in my class. he hasnt been back for a while though and it worries me

So why would you choke out your training partners?

Victories don't count in class, so just let the fuck go and attempt another submission. You both know you had it, you don't have to prove it like a douchebag.

Uhh the guy who is not tapping is the one being the douchebag. Simply applying a submission until a guy taps or goes to sleep is not being a douchebag it is the normal practice of BJJ.

hey, it's his nap. who am I to play god. lock it up!!! haha

I have choked a few teammates unconscious, and I hate it. More often then not I will let up on the choke or switch to a different technique. I know I have it at this point, so I don't feel the need to put them through that. The last guy I choked out woke up to me yelling at him for not tapping.

I really don't see what the big deal is. Choke him unconscious. Eventually he will do the flopping around thing or pee his pants. Even better if he shits himself.

He'll realize it's better to learn to avoid submissions rather than get good at holding out on a submission, and you'll get to laugh as you tell a funny story about a guy who peed himself. It's win-win.

If it was a joint submission I could see there being cause for concern - permanent or very serious injury. Getting choked unconscious a few times is very unpleasant, getting 'sort of choked out' isn't so bad. Go all the way a few times and he'll learn.

...I cross choked him from mount and he didn't tap. I knew it was deep and I just had that feeling that it was on too long so I rolled to guard and let it go. He popped up and started reaching his arms around like a zombie, he had surely been unconscious. He claimed he was fine and tried to continue grappling as if nothing happened.

Yoshida skates?

It's on him to tap.

Choke him out time and time again until he realizes tapping is better because then you can keep rolling without waiting a few minutes to wake up.

Also, i've rolled at some schools that if you do get choked out, you have to sit out the rest of the class and watch. You can't even go home. :-D

Roll with some other people.

Tell him he doesn't tap and lets himself get choked unconscious too often. You feel he may get hurt and you don't want to be part of it. It's cool if he wants to fight chokes until he is out, but I wouldn't want to be the guy choking him all the time until he is out. There is some danger in chokes and it can't be very healthy for him to pass out every class.

I am looking for some advice dealing with someone who does not tap...repeatedly. I can understand going out a few times through the course of training. But, I have personally choked him unconscious 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I know that a brown belt has put him out as well in the same time period. All of these have been some sort of lapel choke.

I spoke with my instructor after the first two times. He then spoke with the student who continues to claim that he either didn't think it was deep or he didn't "go completely out".

I have avoided chokes with him until today's class. I cross choked him from mount and he didn't tap. I knew it was deep and I just had that feeling that it was on too long so I rolled to guard and let it go. He popped up and started reaching his arms around like a zombie, he had surely been unconscious. He claimed he was fine and tried to continue grappling as if nothing happened.

Anyway...90% of me says "F it, if he doesn't want to tap then he goes out. However, part of me does not like regularly choking out a training partner.

Which way do you lean on this?

P.S. He is a good blue belt with over 2 years of training. I am a purple belt for whatever that is worth.

Once you know you have the choke, let go and transition to something else. It's hard to imagine that someone with over 2 years training doesnt know he's being choked. Either he's a dumbass or he's trying to prove something. Both are dangerous....

if this is not a troll (highly doubtfull as you have about 5 posts and start a thread that is questionable-- i say this as you say you are a purple belt and he is a blue belt and i think, maybe i would believe this if it were 2 white belts)
you can TALK TO HIM, tell him to stop being a stupid fuck and tap.

but then again, i think this is a bullshit story.

Record him getting choked out, upload it on youtube, and post on this messageboard.

if this is not a troll (highly doubtfull as you have about 5 posts and start a thread that is questionable-- i say this as you say you are a purple belt and he is a blue belt and i think, maybe i would believe this if it were 2 white belts)
you can TALK TO HIM, tell him to stop being a stupid fuck and tap.

but then again, i think this is a bullshit story.

No BS here. I am legitimately on the fence about how to handle this situation as I have never dealt with this before. I have talked to him about it and he says that he thought it wasn't deep and that he could fight out of it.

Let me be clear that I have never put anyone else out in my 4 years of training. He is a good blue belt and can and does escape some of my submission attempts. I don't think I would be doing him or myself any good by going easy on him. He has the skill to defend himself and the knowledge and experience to tap when necessary. We have all rolled with the white belt who thinks they can muscle out of everything and I agree that as the more experienced grappler, it is my responsibility to make sure things are safe. I don't think this is the same situation.

I would prefer not to stop training with him. He has a different style than most at my gym. I also train at a relatively small gym (about 40 students) and I like having the variety.

Anyway, thanks for the response...except for the guy that called me a douche bag.:wink:

Another thing I just thought of.

He always taps to chokes that also have some sort of pain component ie: bow and arrow, guillotine etc. He has only passed out to cross chokes. Is it possible that he just doesn't feel the pressure on his arteries until it is too late? Has anyone everyone experienced that?

Well, there is not much you can do, so if you enjoy sparring with him so much, just keep sparring with him. Get the choke, and let go before he passes out, or just hold on until he passes out and make a running joke out of it!

Back