Dealing with a training partner who gets choked unconscious repeatedly (long read)

SkateOrDie

White Belt
Reaction score
I am looking for some advice dealing with someone who does not tap...repeatedly. I can understand going out a few times through the course of training. But, I have personally choked him unconscious 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I know that a brown belt has put him out as well in the same time period. All of these have been some sort of lapel choke.

I spoke with my instructor after the first two times. He then spoke with the student who continues to claim that he either didn't think it was deep or he didn't "go completely out".

I have avoided chokes with him until today's class. I cross choked him from mount and he didn't tap. I knew it was deep and I just had that feeling that it was on too long so I rolled to guard and let it go. He popped up and started reaching his arms around like a zombie, he had surely been unconscious. He claimed he was fine and tried to continue grappling as if nothing happened.

Anyway...90% of me says "F it, if he doesn't want to tap then he goes out. However, part of me does not like regularly choking out a training partner.

Which way do you lean on this?

P.S. He is a good blue belt with over 2 years of training. I am a purple belt for whatever that is worth.

we had a blue that was the same, never liked to tap to chokes, i just keep choking him out as i felt it was his responsibility to realise... then one class he went out really deep and gagged on his mouthguard and made a bunch of horrible noises before waking up and freaking out, he started tapping after that :icon_neut

Don't roll with him or keep going to your instructor.

dont' submit him make him suffer via dominant position. Knee on belly, side mount, and spread eagle

I was that guy for a long time. You learn eventually, sooner or later (like it was said in a previous post) you go out for a bit to long and something bad happens. Some people are just head strong like that and don't tap. Keep going to your instructor and if that doesn't help keep choking him out, he'll learn soon enough.

I'm too paranoid not to tap, I think someone's gonna hold onto the submission for too long and give me brain damage or other health issues

Check his oil when he's unconcious

When he's out, get the entire gym to teabag him. That'll teach 'em

Its called Erotic asphyxiation...be cautious if hes looking into your eyes while your choking him.

Have the instructor correct him. It's okay if a brown/black belt decides to risk taking a nap. It's not okay for a blue belt to consistently do it, particularly in friendly rolling. It's not safe, and it's really, really stupid.

dont worry too much dude, tapping is the responsibility of the person being submitted. if they dont, put them to sleep or break their arm they'll learn one way or another.

Guys like this and people that spaz during ground and pound drills bug me the most.

I've never choked anyone out before. I was close to when I was rolling with a spazzy kid that i had in three different chokes. I had him in a triangle, swept to mount, put him in an arm triangle, then a rear naked. I had the rear naked in tight and he wasn't tapping, but the timer went and we changed partners. He was like 2 seconds from going out, his face was so red. I hate being put in that position, though.

If he isnt getting the point then choke him to the edge of conciousness then let off on the choke until he comes back a little and then put it back on...repeat this cycle until he gets the point and taps.

I am looking for some advice dealing with someone who does not tap...repeatedly. I can understand going out a few times through the course of training. But, I have personally choked him unconscious 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I know that a brown belt has put him out as well in the same time period. All of these have been some sort of lapel choke.

I spoke with my instructor after the first two times. He then spoke with the student who continues to claim that he either didn't think it was deep or he didn't "go completely out".

I have avoided chokes with him until today's class. I cross choked him from mount and he didn't tap. I knew it was deep and I just had that feeling that it was on too long so I rolled to guard and let it go. He popped up and started reaching his arms around like a zombie, he had surely been unconscious. He claimed he was fine and tried to continue grappling as if nothing happened.

Anyway...90% of me says "F it, if he doesn't want to tap then he goes out. However, part of me does not like regularly choking out a training partner.

Which way do you lean on this?

P.S. He is a good blue belt with over 2 years of training. I am a purple belt for whatever that is worth.

So why would you choke out your training partners?

Victories don't count in class, so just let the fuck go and attempt another submission. You both know you had it, you don't have to prove it like a douchebag.

Back