• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Deaf man slaughtered by cops in front of helpless onlookers

Kudos to all the people itt pointing out that it's a hugely significant detail that one of them pulled a taser and one pulled a gun. This is what needs to be focused on.

Why was one well trained enough to use non-lethal force and the other so scared that he murdered a man on his own lawn? The officer who pulled his taser should be put in charge of a department wide re-training program and the officer who pulled his gun should be on trial for murder. There couldn't be a finer, more dichotomous example of correct training vs a trigger happy pig who never deserved a gun or authority. Use this situation to make an example of both officers actions.

Compliance has nothing to do with it, a red herring for bozos looking to nitpick any defense they can while ignoring the failure of police departments hiring and training practices.

Right and both cops body cams just happened to be off despite the fact that its OKC policy to be on in situations like this.

We dont need to trust cops anymore. Body cams are there for a reason if the cop is violating policy by turning them off they cant be trusted and there ought to be an investigation

These officers weren't issued body cams yet. Try and read an article instead of just making shit up rod

Sounds like inconsistent police training. Why is one pulling out a taser and the other gun? Theyre not even on the same page.

That is policy and common sense to have one nonlethal and one lethal as cover. It has been covered in this thread and is covered in articles that talk about it and how the tazer didn't work because only one probe hit.

"Slaughter" doesn't really capture the fact he had a deadly weapon. Misleading, actually. "Killed" is better.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...a-city-police-neighbors-scream-horror-n803031

Do cops unfairly target deaf people? Another deaf man has been killed by cops because he couldn’t hear their commands to drop a pipe he was carrying.

Deaf Lives Matter

I really would like to see what this pipe looks like. I realize law enforcement is a difficult job, but that is a pretty big fuck up mistaking a pipe for a weapon and someone dying as a result.

On the flip side, if I was deaf but could see that police were preparing to draw weapons on me, I would probably stop my forward motion.

Sounds like inconsistent police training. Why is one pulling out a taser and the other gun? Theyre not even on the same page.
no, they are not. it's called alternate lethal force option. Taser does not work 100% all the time due to misfire, prongs dont make connection due to subjects clothing, etc. thats why you need lethal force option if non lethal force option fails

source: i teach less-lethal DT to cops

There was a shooting near i live in Huntington Beach last friday in front of a 7-11. Cop's taser failed.There is your example of less lethal option does not work for u

no, they are not. it's called alternate lethal force option. Taser does not work 100% all the time due to misfire, prongs dont make connection due to subjects clothing, etc. thats why you need lethal force option if non lethal force option fails

What type of taser are your departments using?
I picked up a pulse recently and it seems pretty reliable during testing.

Why is it that UK police are so much better at taking down a suspect without lethal force than US police? I think @nhbbear talked about UK tactics when it came to a suspect with a knife.

There was a shooting near i live in Huntington Beach last friday in front of a 7-11. Cop's taser failed.There is your example of less lethal option does not work for u
Can't say how many videos I've seen of tasers not doing the trick.
Scores.

Why is it that UK police are so much better at taking down a suspect without lethal force than US police? I think @nhbbear talked about UK tactics when it came to a suspect with a knife.

prob because most UK bobbies (except the armed respond unit) do not carry firearm otherwise they would use it against a combative subject with a knife. A few months ago a UK cop was stabbed to death by a terrorist on London bridge.

i wrestled all my life and a Bjj purple belt and i would not try to take down someone with a knife. that is a stupid tactic

Are you referring to the UK police that flee from criminals?

prob because most UK bobbies (except the armed respond unit) do not carry firearm otherwise they would use it against a combative subject with a knife. A few months ago a UK cop was stabbed to death by a terrorist on London bridge.

i wrestled all my life and a Bjj purple belt and i would not try to take down someone with a knife. that is a stupid tactic

They have specific tactics for handling situations like the one in OKC I believe.

http://lawofficer.com/tactics-weapons/do-british-police-tactics-work-for-knife-wielding-subjects/

Pretty neat article.

They have specific tactics for handling situations like the one in OKC I believe.

http://lawofficer.com/tactics-weapons/do-british-police-tactics-work-for-knife-wielding-subjects/

Pretty neat article.
Using shields and dogs to subdue subject armed with knife only works IF cops have adequate time to deploy shields/dogs/beanbag shotgun.

i would imagine unarmed UK cops have to run away from a subject with knife and wait for backup with shields, dogs, or beanbag gun. American cops do not run away.

"Magdiel Sanchez, 35, was shot and Tasered on a porch on Tuesday around 8:15 p.m. after he allegedly advanced toward officers following a hit-and-run involving his father, Police Capt. Bo Mathews said Wednesday. The encounter unfolded after witnesses called police to report the hit-and-run, and said the driver, Sanchez's father, had fled the scene and driven to the residence."

So the deaf guy's dad flees the scene of a hit-and-run, goes to his son's (or possibly shared) home, cops arrive to investigate, deaf guy comes out with a 2 foot length of pipe, advances on cops with said pipe after being repeatedly "warned verbally", gets shot and tasered.

Was the deaf guy mentally challenged or inebriated or something? I get that he's deaf and can't hear verbal commands, but I have a hard time believing there weren't visual cues that he shouldn't have been advancing on cops with a weapon.

You can't be serious...

those are some great questions which clearly could only be answered with hot lead.

Using shields and dogs to subdue subject armed with knife only works IF cops have adequate time to deploy shields/dogs/beanbag shotgun.

i would imagine unarmed UK cops have to run away from a subject with knife and wait for backup with shields, dogs, or beanbag gun. American cops do not run away.

UK cops also seem to have much more training in talking down suspects as opposed to American cops, also I'd be interested to know the UK response time compared to US response time.

For example, in August 2015 the Police Executive Research Forum (PERF) published “Re-Engineering Training on Use of Force.” Within this document Chief Constables from England and Scotland provided insights as to how their police forces – largely unarmed — have successfully dealt with knife-armed subjects. Specifically, the report detailed British police’s use of “tactical withdrawal” and less-lethal tools such as batons and pepper spray to detain knife-wielding persons with the least force necessary. In another example, a recent New York Times article describes PERF Executive Director Chuck Wexler’s trip to Scotland with a group of senior U.S. law enforcement executives to learn how Scottish officers deal with street confrontations. The impetus for Mr. Wexler’s field trip was to help senior leaders shift their thinking on tactics; as Wexler said, “We must do better.”[1]

Granted US and UK culture is vastly different, Americans seem to be inherently more violent, and our cops are far more prone to take someones life in contrast to the UK police.

UK cops also seem to have much more training in talking down suspects as opposed to American cops, also I'd be interested to know the UK response time compared to US response time.

Granted US and UK culture is vastly different, Americans seem to be inherently more violent, and our cops are far more prone to take someones life in contrast to the UK police.
if "training" involves running away and wait for backup with beanbag, dogs, or shields, or firehose, then i would not call that training.

My agency also deploys similar less-than lethal methods against knife subject if we have adequate time for that. no running away though

if "training" involves running away and wait for backup with beanbag, dogs, or shields, or firehose, then i would not call that training.

My agency also deploys similar less-than lethal methods against knife subject if we have adequate time for that. no running away though

LOL at not calling that training.

Good to know that instead of waiting five minutes from a secure location for the proper means to deescalate and apprehend a perp, you guys are real dead set on shooting a motherfucker.

How much time do you spend in negotiation training as opposed to on the range?

Back