• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Deadlifts fuckin kill me

This will probably trigger most here but I feel the deadlift isn't the best for sports performance. You probably get more bang for your buck by modifying it or doing something else that targets your posterior chain without leaving you fried for your sports. The deadlift is great for improving absolute strength in a weaker athlete. The juice is not worth the squeeze once they are strong enough. It's like you can have someone is strong but they aren't powerful.

The deadlift also doesn't really transfer to other lifts. Something like Oly lifting will transfer over to the deadlift but the deadlift/lowbar squat program will not really transfer over even with technical know how for the Oly lifts. I bash deadlifts but it's my favorite lift.
Depends on the sport but I agree in most cases.
Although weightlifting does absolutely nothing for my deadlift.

Depends on the sport but I agree in most cases.
Although weightlifting does absolutely nothing for my deadlift.
If your weightlifting numbers goes up? Your deadlift doesn't go up with it?

Try rack pulls or if you are like me, don't get off your couch

The only times I’ve ever focused on weightlifting I lost deadlift strength.
Do you deadlift sumo or something? How much did you lose? It shouldn't be some drastic amount. I am not saying you can train Olympic lifting for powerlifting. That isn't the case at all. I never met any weightlifter that couldn't deadlift or squat. The reverse isn't common though. I will admit there is a high skill component involved in Olympic lifting.

Last edited:
No, I don’t pull sumo.
I think it’s a mix of two things: first if you don’t practice deadlifts you lose your ability to deadlift well, and second when you don’t train maximal strength (lower weights, faster speed) your body adapts differently.

No, I don’t pull sumo.
I think it’s a mix of two things: first if you don’t practice deadlifts you lose your ability to deadlift well, and second when you don’t train maximal strength (lower weights, faster speed) your body adapts differently.

My weightlifting numbers are so much lower than my deadlift/squat numbers that I'd expect regression in both squats and deadlifts by quite a bit if I only did oly lifts. Even if I mixed in clean pulls, deadlift would still be down by a bit.

Are they even necccesary for a martial artist, a striker or grappler? Atm i dont deadlift at all. I do squats, pullups, back extentions and dumbbell rdl-s. Feels like im hitting all the muscles in there

This will probably trigger most here but I feel the deadlift isn't the best for sports performance. You probably get more bang for your buck by modifying it or doing something else that targets your posterior chain without leaving you fried for your sports. The deadlift is great for improving absolute strength in a weaker athlete. The juice is not worth the squeeze once they are strong enough. It's like you can have someone is strong but they aren't powerful.

The deadlift also doesn't really transfer to other lifts. Something like Oly lifting will transfer over to the deadlift but the deadlift/lowbar squat program will not really transfer over even with technical know how for the Oly lifts. I bash deadlifts but it's my favorite lift.

Kind of agree. Has no one really invented a good compound exercise for the glutes and hammies, that doesn't hammer your lower back as much? Maybe the Romanian deadlift? I also felt like that killed my hammies and glutes while not using my lower back that much, but I'm also short and stumpy so the bar doesn't go that far- probably different for taller folks

Kind of agree. Has no one really invented a good compound exercise for the glutes and hammies, that doesn't hammer your lower back as much? Maybe the Romanian deadlift? I also felt like that killed my hammies and glutes while not using my lower back that much, but I'm also short and stumpy so the bar doesn't go that far- probably different for taller folks
A very good exercise is the glute ham raise. Will give you iron hammies

Barbell Hip Thrust is a good exercise for that.

Deadlift is one of the best exercises for overall athleticism and performance however heavy deadlifts are probably best saved for the 'off-season' of your sport or at least only done a handful times per year if you're doing some block/cycle training.

Last edited:

The old adage was 1x bw press, 1.5x bench, 2x squat and 2.5 deadlift was on average worth it for most sports when it comes to strength benefits for athletes. Of course it's all general, with outliers on either end of the curve doing more or less but the general idea was train strength until the beginner to intermediate gains have slowed and then focus on other areas like the actual sport instead of peaking performance in certain lifts like weight/powerlifters, particularly like you say the highly taxing ones like deadlifts.

I like to just do double overhand deadlifts, with my grip being the limiting factor. This isn't optimal for my deadlift strength, I was stronger at mixed and double overhand when mixing but the shearing force on my lower back (as well as the heavier weights requiring more recovery and draining the CNS) mean I don't miss the mixed grip.

The old adage was 1x bw press, 1.5x bench, 2x squat and 2.5 deadlift was on average worth it for most sports when it comes to strength benefits for athletes. Of course it's all general, with outliers on either end of the curve doing more or less but the general idea was train strength until the beginner to intermediate gains have slowed and then focus on other areas like the actual sport instead of peaking performance in certain lifts like weight/powerlifters, particularly like you say the highly taxing ones like deadlifts.

I like to just do double overhand deadlifts, with my grip being the limiting factor. This isn't optimal for my deadlift strength, I was stronger at mixed and double overhand when mixing but the shearing force on my lower back (as well as the heavier weights requiring more recovery and draining the CNS) mean I don't miss the mixed grip.
Those multipliers only count if you are low bodyfat i think. Im at about 25 % bodyfat (i think). 92 kg atm. Im far from 147 kg bench press lol and that number seems insane to me without years of powerlifting specific training i think. Atleast with my genetics and long build. If i dieted down to 75-80 kg, then the 120 kg bench seems good but not so crazy. But its still a very good nr. I bet most ufc featherweights or lightweights cant bench 120kg clean.

I agree those numbers are high and require too much focus on strength for most sports.
But if your bf% is high, that doesn’t mean you can have lower relative strength.

I agree those numbers are high and require too much focus on strength for most sports.
But if your bf% is high, that doesn’t mean you can have lower relative strength.

See strongman lifts. They use their 'power shelf' belly as a tool for impressive lifts

Those multipliers only count if you are low bodyfat i think. Im at about 25 % bodyfat (i think). 92 kg atm. Im far from 147 kg bench press lol and that number seems insane to me without years of powerlifting specific training i think. Atleast with my genetics and long build. If i dieted down to 75-80 kg, then the 120 kg bench seems good but not so crazy. But it's a still a very good nr. I bet most ufc featherweights or lightweights cant bench 120kg clean.

Bench press is a deceptively technical lift, with most people lifting in such a manner that they are leaving 20+ kilos off what they actually could do with proper hand width, upper back position, scap retraction, foot position/angle of bracing etc.

Having long arms comparatively is an advantage in mma yet disadvantage in the bench press, but I still think that comes down to the often poor s&c training most have historically had access to, as those numbers are generally considered intermediate at best in the lifting community. Like you say those numbers are multiples of body weight so a certain level of leanness will be required (essentially so low as to the point that it doesn't negatively effect p4p strength, which will be circa 15 percent and even below for most).

If I was the S@C coach of a UFC FW for example, I'd probably want them benching at least 100 kg's, with a focus on pushing past that to at least around 110. I feel a lean 75 kiloer should be able to put up 110 touch and go easily enough (again with proper bench technique not bro technique).

Here is a video of current 5th rank feather weight Arnold Allen doing what would be pretty much double bw squat for a double (150 for 2). That 2x body weight multiplier for squat.

Last edited:
Back