Deadlift problem weak on the bottom half

Gold182

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Well im on my 3rd week of the Bill Starrs 5x5 program and its going really well made some nice gains across the board and my forms has improved. However as the title suggests im having a bit of problem with my Deadlift. Im fine on the top half and can lockout no problem what so ever. However the bottom part of the lift is where im having trouble with the lift. I spoke to a gym instructor and he said it is problably my core isnt strong enough.
Now i use to train a BB type split and my upperbody aside from my lower back i did alot compound lifts on. However my legs and lowerback/core work were always the 1st i missed if i didnt do a workout and i did alot leg press as opposed to squat.

Now i want to stick with my 5x5 till im finished. But after i was thinking of a push/pull split but wanted to know what assistant excerise would be ideal to help my deadlift out since that was the only lift i got stuck on this week. Also how many sets and reps would be great. Also my calfs felt really burnt out aswell by the end of deadlifting. They are pretty crappy and small compared to the rest of my leg so i know i might have do some work with them, even though i hate calf work.

Thanks

Stand on a plate or two and pull from there. You can also do these with a snatch grip. Also, for me, front squats have had quite some impact on being able to get the weight off the floor. So I guess what I'm saying is train your hamstrings and quads, lol.

The burn in your calves is probably just stretching.

Take's advice is good: deficit pulls, snatch grip dl, front squats will all help.

Are you saying though that you've only been deadlifting for 3 weeks? If that is the case then your biggest issue is probably just being all around weak on the lift.

For advanced athletes there is alot of assistance work needed to get deadlift numbers up, but if you've only been deadlifting 3 weeks...you just need to get better at the deadlift.

p.s. If you do your regular leg routine, still feel strong enough to do some calf raises, and you have girly calves go ahead and throw some in there. Currently I feel like with my workout routine calf raises are redundant, but there have been times that I did have them in my routine because I USED to have chicken legs. I don't have chicken legs anymore, and that is partially due to adding in extra calf work, but don't fool yourself, the real results come from eating and kicking your own ass in training with some real compound movements.

Ok awesome after ive completed this 5x5 willl stick in deficit pulls ( i take it that what takeahnase described) and front squats, in a routine. Would they replace deadlift and squats or would i do my deadlifts and squats and then say do a 3x5 or a 3x8?

Ive been deadlifting on and off for a while, but the last few months ive started doing it every week and really working on my form. (was doing a 3 day split with deadlifts in before the 5x5). Also the difference between the bottom half of the lift and the top half is shocking in how much effort it takes me.

Oh yeah would stuff like hypers and good mornings help?

The squat is the weakest right at the bottom for everybody. SOme good info has already been given. I am not a big fan of going past 90 degrees on the knees. Risk versus reward is just not there for me. Don't go too deep.

The squat is the weakest right at the bottom for everybody. SOme good info has already been given. I am not a big fan of going past 90 degrees on the knees. Risk versus reward is just not there for me. Don't go too deep.

What is the risk of going past 90 degrees?

Is it safer to stop at 90 degrees than going deeper?

I've always heard that 98 degrees was optimal.

I've always heard that 98 degrees was optimal.

98degrees.jpg

SRSLY.

Ok awesome after ive completed this 5x5 willl stick in deficit pulls ( i take it that what takeahnase described) and front squats, in a routine. Would they replace deadlift and squats or would i do my deadlifts and squats and then say do a 3x5 or a 3x8?

Ive been deadlifting on and off for a while, but the last few months ive started doing it every week and really working on my form. (was doing a 3 day split with deadlifts in before the 5x5). Also the difference between the bottom half of the lift and the top half is shocking in how much effort it takes me.

Oh yeah would stuff like hypers and good mornings help?

Replace your pulls with the deficit pulls. You don't train the deadlif following deadlifting sessions with a variation on the deadlift. You would squat, do deficit pulls, and then do your accessory work. Work your hamstrings hard, do good mornings, ghrs. Do reverse hypers if you have the equipment and pull throughs.

Here we go again..

Yeah, you can all make your jokes, but my friend's friend went past 90 degrees and her vagina turned into a penis.

Swear to God.

The best exercises you can do to build your power off the floor in the deadlift is:

1) Deadlift using 25 or 35 pound plates (instead of 45s.) This puts the bar lower to the ground (which makes the lift harder) and it will seem easier when you return to pulling with 45s.

2) Deadlift while standing on a very low box or 45 pound plates (same concept as # 1.)

3) Train squats (wear either Kono Bands, neoprene sleeves or loose wraps to protect your knees) and squat narrow-medium stance and go well below parallel (Olympic training depth, hamstrings to calves if you're flexible enough.)

4) Believe it or not, train heavy leg press with a full range of motion and with the same foot position as you use when you deadlift (pretending the foot plate on the leg press is the floor.)

5) Train regular deadlifts but use a more exagerated pause between reps and really focus on your set up.

6) Train stiff leg deadlifts, standing on plates or using 25-35 pound plates (see # 1 and 2) and as you lower the bar push your hips/glutes back (Romanian Deadlifts) so you're not rounding your lower back.

Stay Strong,
Sean Katterle
Hardcore Powerlifting

With proper form, it is better to full squat.

The best exercises you can do to build your power off the floor in the deadlift is:

1) Deadlift using 25 or 35 pound plates (instead of 45s.) This puts the bar lower to the ground (which makes the lift harder) and it will seem easier when you return to pulling with 45s.

2) Deadlift while standing on a very low box or 45 pound plates (same concept as # 1.)

3) Train squats (wear either Kono Bands, neoprene sleeves or loose wraps to protect your knees) and squat narrow-medium stance and go well below parallel (Olympic training depth, hamstrings to calves if you're flexible enough.)

4) Believe it or not, train heavy leg press with a full range of motion and with the same foot position as you use when you deadlift (pretending the foot plate on the leg press is the floor.)

5) Train regular deadlifts but use a more exagerated pause between reps and really focus on your set up.

6) Train stiff leg deadlifts, standing on plates or using 25-35 pound plates (see # 1 and 2) and as you lower the bar push your hips/glutes back (Romanian Deadlifts) so you're not rounding your lower back.

Stay Strong,
Sean Katterle
Hardcore Powerlifting

What he said. :icon_chee

stronger off the floor:
1) more core work
2) more posterior chain work (ass, hams, low back)
3) make sure your form is as close to perfect as it can be.
4) get faster off the floor

In general, if you're weak at the bottom of the deadlift, it means you're not strong enough. You're new to the movement, so just training it regularly and hard will improve it. You won't need assistance work for a while yet.

Besides being debateable (and a minority opinion on this board), WTF does this have to do with deadlifting?
*shakes head*

In general, if you're weak at the bottom of the deadlift, it means you're not strong enough. You're new to the movement, so just training it regularly and hard will improve it. You won't need assistance work for a while yet.

I have the same problem - weak at the bottom. Though, I tend to round my back. I've read a few articles/watched some vids on how to fix this but still my back rounds once I start the lift. This has ended up in a back-ache the past couple weeks. I suppose I should just lower the weight until the problem is solved..

High bar squats and front squats. QUAD POWER! Hamcables too. Good mornings and such. Everything has been covered. Just get stronger.

Back