deadlift help

i said in my opening post that i did sumos. it helped loads but your legs are still are around parallel or above, and because your pushing from a stationary position without any eccentric movement, its just plain pushing from a position which i dont seem to have any power in.

Just do what we suggested for a few weeks and see what happens.

I've used the..uh..bodybuilding version somewhat on occassion and it's decent.

Bodybuilding version of deadlifts? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Conventional stance deadlifts own and work wonders for back and hams. Sumo is teh ghey.

Do conventional deads ffs.

Oh, you pull sumo? I wish I had read that, being weak off the floor is just part of sumo.

Like usual, NerdKing is right, Sumo is indeed teh ghey, and sumo pullers should be forced to put an asterix by their PR's.

Hey Carnal would you mind telling us the lowdown on sumo? Why is it gay? Why do they need an asterisk?

CarnalSalvation said:
Oh, you pull sumo? I wish I had read that, being weak off the floor is just part of sumo.

Like usual, NerdKing is right, Sumo is indeed teh ghey, and sumo pullers should be forced to put an asterix by their PR's.

dont make me post that pic of chucky v. again.

No, it's GAY damnit. And so it Chuck's high ass, double canvas wearing bullshit 1000lb squat. I'm not towing the line, I'm not playing around.

If you wannt lift, take that goofy shit off your body, stop squatting high, and pull like somebody who has a pair.

Why I dislike the sumo DL: it removes the lats, traps (upper, middle lower), rhomboids, um, and like a million other muscles from your back as much as possible from the deadlift. Sumo became very popular among powerlifters because A. you can sometimes move more weight, if you're a gear whore B. unfortnately, enough people DID see that pic of Chuck V. Powerlifting is often times VERY monkey see, monkey do. Some of it is practical, Chuck T's for example. Yeah, we all look like clones in our Converse, but they're really good lifting shoes for a lot of people, and they're cheap as hell. Now, sumo deadlifting isn't like that. Pulling sumo is more like the fact that if you walk into a powerlifting meet 90% of the dudes with have shaved heads and goatees (and most of them will have ink). They saw Louie do it, so they did it too.

sooo... what you're saying is, shaving my head and growing a goatee will make me stronger? I'm in! Where's my razor?

I just did conventional deads for the first time in about a year yesterday. I did 5 sets of 5 but I'm afraid I may have used too much weight. I did my 5 reps with 325, I can handle the weight ok but I think I may be rounding my lower back. Is it natural to have an extremely sore lower back the day after? I can barely even bend over, also, is that a sign that I'm rounding my lower back?

im very surprised to hear that about sumo. i started doing conventionals, but this week tried sumo for the first time, as i had begin sticking a bit with my pr. i tried the sumo, and equalled my pr easily. yet a little increase in weight, and i couldnt move the thing off the floor. i got the idea of adding them as i saw them in one of carnals pr posts, which said hed used them but was going back to conventials for his pr. but anyway, is sumo a big no no then?

also if i can move more weight deadlifting like that, shouldnt i be keeping it, even though it utilises less muscles.

rEmY said:
dont make me post that pic of chucky v. again.

Let me guess. Itll be posted with the caption 'Ghey?'. The next post will be 'No, but that hat sure is.'

CarnalSalvation said:
No, it's GAY damnit. And so it Chuck's high ass, double canvas wearing bullshit 1000lb squat. I'm not towing the line, I'm not playing around.

If you wannt lift, take that goofy shit off your body, stop squatting high, and pull like somebody who has a pair.

Why I dislike the sumo DL: it removes the lats, traps (upper, middle lower), rhomboids, um, and like a million other muscles from your back as much as possible from the deadlift. Sumo became very popular among powerlifters because A. you can sometimes move more weight, if you're a gear whore B. unfortnately, enough people DID see that pic of Chuck V. Powerlifting is often times VERY monkey see, monkey do. Some of it is practical, Chuck T's for example. Yeah, we all look like clones in our Converse, but they're really good lifting shoes for a lot of people, and they're cheap as hell. Now, sumo deadlifting isn't like that. Pulling sumo is more like the fact that if you walk into a powerlifting meet 90% of the dudes with have shaved heads and goatees (and most of them will have ink). They saw Louie do it, so they did it too.

HAHA! i knew that would get a rise out of you. truth be told, i do both sumo AND conventional, i find that they both have their pros and cons, plus i do a fairly narrow sumo stance.

I did sumos once... it didn't feel right, like I was cheating.

Urban said:
sooo... what you're saying is, shaving my head and growing a goatee will make me stronger? I'm in! Where's my razor?

Don't forget the flame patterned scully!

Bobby L gave me one of those flame beanies as a gift. It's a running gag on another board I go to.

Back