deadlift help

peanut butter

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
since i started training properly, i have began to notice a sticking point in my deadlifting. i seem to have real problems getting it off the floor but find it easier to power through once i get the bar to around the knees. ive swtched my technique from convential to sumo stance and easily equalled my pr, yet when i added further weight i failed to lift it off the floor, even though the weight increase was negligable, and considering that i breezed through my pr, i feel this is strange. this is beginning to lead to a rounded back. im not the most flexible of people although have spent a good amount of time stretching over the past year or so. i was thinking of increase the depth that i go on the squat to help get that initial lift off. has anyone got any helpful ideas, thanks.

peanut butter said:
since i started training properly, i have began to notice a sticking point in my deadlifting. i seem to have real problems getting it off the floor but find it easier to power through once i get the bar to around the knees. ive swtched my technique from convential to sumo stance and easily equalled my pr, yet when i added further weight i failed to lift it off the floor, even though the weight increase was negligable, and considering that i breezed through my pr, i feel this is strange. this is beginning to lead to a rounded back. im not the most flexible of people although have spent a good amount of time stretching over the past year or so. i was thinking of increase the depth that i go on the squat to help get that initial lift off. has anyone got any helpful ideas, thanks.

I had this problem too. I started training with smaller plates like 35's and 25's in order to train "beyond" the regular range. It really helped my starting strength, it might not work for everyone though. Make sure to try it out with a lighter than normal weight though!

you meen squatting beyond the regular range, right? what do the smaller plates do, is it just a lighter poundage or has it got another reason

The smaller plates will bring the bar closer to the floor so you'll be lifting it a greater distance. Another way is to pull while standing on something, but I prefer using smaller plates!

He means deadlifting not squatting you fucked up limey prick.

Sonny said:
The smaller plates will bring the bar closer to the floor so you'll be lifting it a greater distance. Another way is to pull while standing on something, but I prefer using smaller plates!

thanks for that. is there any other movements which assist or mimick the bottom half of the pull.

Yeah, standing on a platform is a good one. It's the same idea as the smaller plates only way way easier to implement IMO.

You just stand on a box, platform, whatever (a couple plates will work if your DL stance is really narrow) and deadlift while standing on that.

CarnalSalvation said:
Yeah, standing on a platform is a good one. It's the same idea as the smaller plates only way way easier to implement IMO.

You just stand on a box, platform, whatever (a couple plates will work if your DL stance is really narrow) and deadlift while standing on that.

I ended up using the smaller plates because they're all I had at the time. Now I use a platform.

Oh, and yes front squats, or full depth narrow stance squats will help.

peanut butter said:
thanks for that. is there any other movements which assist or mimick the bottom half of the pull.

I've used dumbell deads as well!

front squats sound good. is there any specific poundages i should use ie light, medium, or should it be heavy like everything else

Do some kind of extended ROM deadlift in place of normal deads for a while, and hit up front squats for 4X6-8 after your normal squats.

is this a temporary thing or something ill have to give special attention to

I am also weak off the floor.

It tends to gay in stages. You'll be weak off the floor for a few months, maybe have trouble locking out for a few months, then back to the start etc. You just need to hone in on whatever is weakest and train that aspect the hardest.

I'm not sure how much this pertains to the subject, but I like sumo deads.

Maybe cause thats the way I was taught, however, I've used the..uh..bodybuilding version somewhat on occassion and it's decent.
But I can pull a helluva lot more weight with the sumo variety.

how does squatting front or back, with my heels on a plate sound. this to give extra depth as im not to flexible.

Back