DC = Mike Tyson?

This always makes me laugh

giphy.gif
thanks bro. Love that gif. Classic.

I dont agree with TA there. He definitely picks a side in his commentary and runs with it. He hates Tyson over the thing with his relative.

I think Tyson fell off when fame, loss of Cus, Don King, and legal troubles got the best of him. Since everyone is talking about Fedor, I feel its similar to his fall. Except Fedor's problems were fame, family, religion, management, etc.

Last edited:
Both are legitimate all-time greats in their respective sport.
I do however respect Daniel Cormier a lot more, for obvious reasons.

Don’t ever disrespect Mike Tyson

Tyson was a lot more entertaining to watch inside and outside the ring than DC. He is iconic. DC? Not so much.

DC's only losses are to a steroid head and to a guy whom he beat the first time (and beat in a quicker and more devastating manner, I might add.) Beside that he's arguably the greatest Heavyweight of all time and has one of the best resumes of all time.

Teddy Atlas once said in Rogans podcast that Mike Tyson can never be considered one of the greatest boxers because he was great until there was a fight. He lost all the biggest fights, with his biggest rivals of his time, so he cannot be considered one of the greatest.

So i figured, can we say the same thing about DCs career?

From the Olympics, to his MMA career, he had the potential to be the best, but it seems once he had to face the biggest rival and make the final step, he flopped.

So, my question is, can we apply that same logic Teddy Atlas said about Tyson to DC, or does DCs notable wins make him surpass that category of a fighter that folded once he was in a true fight?

Some similarities like their size and all(very small for HW) but A DC did beat SOME serious contenders(and I'm someone who considers the Gus fight a robbery) and B DC never made fighters who didn't have a chance piss themselves the way Tyson did. One of those differences favors Tyson one favors DC but pretty different in all but size.

DC's better in MMA than Tyson in boxing but boxing has a way more established history. Tyson also is far more significant a pop culture icon.

No, his summary on Tyson is garbage anyway. Tyson didn't run through everyone, there were plenty of fights that gave resistance. Razor Ruddock gave him a good run for his money, just like Gus with DC.

Stipe is the best UFC HW in history and Jones best LHW in history, there's no shame in losing to either of those. Especially when one is a suspect drug cheat and he already has a win over the other one....and even more so when you consider those two opponents have huge physical advantages over him. Both Tyson and DC were routinely fighting larger opposition...Jones & Stipe will never be able to say the same thing.

Great post.

Tyson is not a quitter, Atlas is wrong.

A lot of people would say Tyson was exactly that when he bit a chunk out of Holyfield's ear. He had to know they'd DQ him.

I love Mike but in what universe is he the greatest boxer of all time lol
None except for in some parallel universe where he remained disciplined and didn't let all the distractions and temptations of fame and fortune overwhelm him.

Which wouldn't be easy for a kid who came from nothing to become one of the most famous men on earth at 18 years old.

Tyson is the ultimate cautionary tale. From a skill set standpoint we haven't really seen anyone like him. The combination of speed, power, footwork and aggression was unprecedented, especially for a HW but that potential was never fully realized making him one of history's biggest "What if's" ( pretty sure that's not actually a word but whatever, lol)

Why people likes to make nonsense analogies? There is nothing in common in the situation between DC and Tyson, plus, both of them are among the greatest in boxing and MMA, DC flopped because he lost against a guy that he already beat? o_O

Tyson is usually ranked 50-100 by Boxing experts

DC isn't Tyson.

DC is a guy that has always been number 2 in his life. There was always someone better than him at everything he did. Some could also say it was also a tad unlucky as the guys better than him are also often considered the GOATS.

Wrestling
Olympics
UFC

2nd best at everything while being better than pretty much everyone else. Got to sting a bit.

Teddy Atlas once said in Rogans podcast that Mike Tyson can never be considered one of the greatest boxers because he was great until there was a fight. He lost all the biggest fights, with his biggest rivals of his time, so he cannot be considered one of the greatest.

So i figured, can we say the same thing about DCs career?

From the Olympics, to his MMA career, he had the potential to be the best, but it seems once he had to face the biggest rival and make the final step, he flopped.

So, my question is, can we apply that same logic Teddy Atlas said about Tyson to DC, or does DCs notable wins make him surpass that category of a fighter that folded once he was in a true fight?
Hes faced adversity in his career. I think he just started to believe his wrestling esk hype he tried to bring

Tyson was one of the most feared fighters of all time. He only lost because he let fame, money, and women get to him. Much like Conor McGregor! I guess if your going to lose it though, fame, money, and women isn't the worst way to do it.:)
Conor at least beat an all time great MMA fighter in their prime. WHo did Tyson ever beat that was an all time great? Old man Holmes who lost his last 2 fights and was coming out of retirement?

None except for in some parallel universe where he remained disciplined and didn't let all the distractions and temptations of fame and fortune overwhelm him.

Which wouldn't be easy for a kid who came from nothing to become one of the most famous men on earth at 18 years old.

Tyson is the ultimate cautionary tale. From a skill set standpoint we haven't really seen anyone like him. The combination of speed, power, footwork and aggression was unprecedented, especially for a HW but that potential was never fully realized making him one of history's biggest "What if's" ( pretty sure that's not actually a word but whatever, lol)
Even if he stayed disciplined we don't really know if he would have been one of the all time greats. He was VERY mentally weak in the ring

Even if he stayed disciplined we don't really know if he would have been one of the all time greats. He was VERY mentally weak in the ring
I'm not so sure that's true prior to his loss if focus and eventual self destruction.

He had faced adversity prior to Buster, signing with Don King and ultimately breaking away from Rooney who was the last link to the fighter Cus created and always responded well.

You are right though, we will never know which is exactly my point.

Back