DC Doesn't Deserve to Wait For a Title Shot

Bases on his fucking record... Damn.
How about no.
Glover had more wins (top 10) than DC had in the LHW division. Still does. Glover was next in line due to no one else being available for JBJ to fight (either he fought them before or they aren't "there") yet.

Hey gang,

To be clear, I would have no problem with Cormier getting a shot right now. However, because there is another obvious #1 contender, and other top LHWs with longer unbeaten streaks, logic dictates that Cormier should fight once more before his big shot. People should only wait for a shot if they have cleared out other contenders or they have been promised one. Cormier isn't in that situation.

I came in prepared to to disagree with you.. but after reading this part of the statement, I think I may actually agree with you.... if he was getting the shot now.. I agree... he deserves it... but I dont think he deserves to wait...unless there are no top 5 fighters currently unmatched up... you got Rashaad and Glover... that should be the next #1 contender fight..

Hey gang,

DC is claiming that he will wait for a shot against Jones, but objectively there is NO WAY to see this as fair. He has only won two fights at LHW and neither was against a top 5 guy. Of course, he has a very impressive resume going back to his HW days, but that doesn't give him the leeway to sit back and wait for a shot. He needs to beat a top guy in the prime of his career (Teixeira or Rashad are my candidates), then he will have earned the right to wait for a shot.

To be clear, I would have no problem with Cormier getting a shot right now. However, because there is another obvious #1 contender, and other top LHWs with longer unbeaten streaks, logic dictates that Cormier should fight once more before his big shot. People should only wait for a shot if they have cleared out other contenders or they have been promised one. Cormier isn't in that situation.

Cormier rag-dolled Barnett, KO'ed Bigfoot and owned Mir. He is undefeated and has never been challenged. You guys want to hand Gus a rematch because he almost won? Who has Gus beat again? Manuwa, T.Silva and Shogun. How is that resume even close to DC's? Give the fight to the guy who can beat Jones down. The guy with the better resume who hasn't had his chance yet. There is an obvious #1 contender, DC.

(Jones loves you)

Last edited:
big fan of dc and hope he gets the shot but its hard to make the case that he "deserves" it. he beat a coffee shop employee and a very old fighter who has won one figtht out of his last five.

i think he beats jones, but he has hardly worked his way to the shot

Don't understand why a heavyweight beating a middleweight warrants a title shot at light heavyweight.

big fan of dc and hope he gets the shot but its hard to make the case that he "deserves" it. he beat a coffee shop employee and a very old fighter who has won one figtht out of his last five.

i think he beats jones, but he has hardly worked his way to the shot

He also beat 2 recent title contenders a weight class above as well as 2 other top 10 HW's.....come on guys it's not that he's moving up....he's moving DOWN!!! There is a reson why 230 ponders cut to 205.........to gain an edge. HW's get paid the most because they are bad ass. IF JDS cut to 205 tomorrow I bet Jones would say he has to prove himself at 205, but would you? Ok, ok maybe once to prove he could be affective at 205 after the cut, but DC has done that twice already.

Also they say Jones went through murderers row and he did but if he went heads with BF, Barnett, Country and Mir he is 3-1 at best.

He may as well fight Glover since Gus/Jones II is already being talked about for August. No point in having him sit out most of 2014 when half of the other top guys (Cain, Pettis, Melendez, Cruz, Hendricks, Silva, GSP, the list goes on) already are. UFC needs names to fill up PPVs and Cormier is quickly becoming a familiar face the more he fights and participates in the broadcasts.

Once again I will point out that giving a guy a shot after a few wins is not the problem here. The problem is saying he will sit out until he gets the shot. You have to earn that right. Rashad Evans has a much better resume and that is the fight that needs to get made.

Remember that Gus vs. Jones isn't even booked yet. He could be sitting out for 10 months or more. How exactly is that a good thing?

So you don't want him to wait to fight Jones who fights in Aug or September. You want him to wait until December or later to fight Rashad. That is solid thinking.

As far as your claim of earned or not. If both DC and Dan were told that the winner gets the next title shot then the title shot was earned. If you don't like how it's decided is irrelevant as your opinion doesn't matter.

I personally wish the UFC would stop awarding 2nd out title shots. It's just silly, the timelines often don't match up. They still expect the fighter to continue to fight, and injuries have a way of throwing a wrench in the works. Then again my opinion means as much as yours.

Just admit it you don't want to see him fight Jones because you are scared.

Hey gang,

DC is claiming that he will wait for a shot against Jones, but objectively there is NO WAY to see this as fair. He has only won two fights at LHW and neither was against a top 5 guy. Of course, he has a very impressive resume going back to his HW days, but that doesn't give him the leeway to sit back and wait for a shot. He needs to beat a top guy in the prime of his career (Teixeira or Rashad are my candidates), then he will have earned the right to wait for a shot.

You're crazy.. He won the. SF HW Grand Prix. Dominated Hendo (who KO'd the possible GOAT).

Yup that's why Frankie needed FW fights before Aldo and why Shields & Florian needed more than 1 tuneup fight.

Yup that's why Frankie needed FW fights before Aldo and why Shields & Florian needed more than 1 tuneup fight.
Frankie was a CHAMPION.
Shields was a CHAMPION in another organization and widely viewed as a legit threat to GSP.
Florian was an exciting fighter who had exciting fights at LW. Lost a close fight with Sherk, lost to BJ who is one of the greatest fights of all time, and lost to Maynard who was and still is a beast.

I like DC, but to say he deserves a title shot over Gus or he should of replaced Glover at UFC 172 is ridiculous.

UFC's top 10 LHWs (according to the UFC):

1 Alexander Gustafsson
2 Rashad Evans
3 Glover Teixeira
4 Daniel Cormier
5 Anthony Johnson
6 Dan Henderson
7 Phil Davis
8 Mauricio Rua
9 Chael Sonnen
10 Ryan Bader

Gus is next; Rashad is injured; Glover just got beat easily by Jones; Rumble is booked to fight Lil Nog, etc.

I think it makes sense for DC to wait. Here's why:

Then you can have a future card with Jones v. DC; Rumble v. Glover. And then you can have Rumble fight Jones if DC gets hurt, or vice-versa. Rather than have the card get scrapped or Jones fighting another MW.

There's a shortage of challengers in what has become a weak division. And that's why it is fair for DC to wait for title shot.

However, because there is another obvious #1 contender, and other top LHWs with longer unbeaten streaks

Gus is getting the shot. Cormier is 15-0, currently the longest unbeaten streak. So shut the fuck up.

absolutely pathetic. Is there anyone besides Jones fans that don't want to see this fight after Gus?

Don't understand why a heavyweight beating a middleweight warrants a title shot at light heavyweight.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. Lock thread.

Seriously, beat one relevant top contender in your division and then ask for your title shot.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. Lock thread.

Seriously, beat one relevant top contender in your division and then ask for your title shot.

Gus gets two title shots without beating one relevant contender in his division. Hell his best win has 2 losses to the guy that Cormier just finished last night.

Hey gang,

He does not want to fight Rashad unless it's a title fight. They are freinds.

He should fight Teixeira. If he beats Glover more dominately than Jones did, then he could jump Rashad in the rankings and not have to fight him.

He does not want to fight Rashad unless it's a title fight. They are freinds.

He should fight Teixeira. If he beats Glover more dominately than Jones did, then he could jump Rashad in the rankings and not have to fight him.

Problem with that is Glover has jack shit for Jones. This isn't just about rankings and wins, its about having and keeping relevant contenders and avoiding rematches that weren't competitive.

Also Glover is coming off a loss, hate to see him get steamrolled into irrelevancy. People will say "just another 1 dimensional brazilian."

Gus gets two title shots without beating one relevant contender in his division. Hell his best win has 2 losses to the guy that Cormier just finished last night.

I assume you're talking about Shogun. One of those fights was after he lost to to Gus so that's irrelevant. The other was 3 years ago and if you're comparing Hendo in 2011 to Hendo in 2014 then there's no point in event arguing with you.

Fact is, Gus beat Rua in a #1 contender's fight and then gave Jones the toughest fight he's had at LH. UFC is a business and they'd be foolish not to book that fight.

The correct move is to book Cormier vs Rumble or Rashad in a #1 contender's fight and give the winner of that fight the winner of Jones v Gus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back