DC Doesn't Deserve to Wait For a Title Shot

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by AwesomePossum1, May 25, 2014.

1. AwesomePossum1

AwesomePossum1 Orange Belt

Hey gang,

DC is claiming that he will wait for a shot against Jones, but objectively there is NO WAY to see this as fair. He has only won two fights at LHW and neither was against a top 5 guy. Of course, he has a very impressive resume going back to his HW days, but that doesn't give him the leeway to sit back and wait for a shot. He needs to beat a top guy in the prime of his career (Teixeira or Rashad are my candidates), then he will have earned the right to wait for a shot.

To be clear, I would have no problem with Cormier getting a shot right now. However, because there is another obvious #1 contender, and other top LHWs with longer unbeaten streaks, logic dictates that Cormier should fight once more before his big shot. People should only wait for a shot if they have cleared out other contenders or they have been promised one. Cormier isn't in that situation.

2. jeff7b9

jeff7b9 Silver Belt

As a big Rumble fan I'd rather see him wait than knock off Rumble, so I am cool with it.
    (and Rumble is booked vs diet Nog)

He said he is friends with Rashad and doesn't want to fight him unless it is for a belt.

Gus has got next. I suppose he could beat up Glover, I'd be happy to watch that.

3. ncboy

ncboy Brown Belt

Glover had no business getting the last title shot and he did. Cormier deserves it more.

4. ConditFan

ConditFan Brown Belt

Based on what?

5. Tech Nine**

Tech Nine** White Belt

LHW is getting really fun. Jones vs Gus rematch will be exciting and Cormier is there to bring more heat into division.

People should just stop bitching while trying to get all morally righteous and just enjoy the damn show.

6. daydaystyles

daydaystyles Green Belt

Dc should fight the rumble/nog winner

7. AwesomePossum1

Are you joking?

Glover Teixeira UFC resume
    Ryan Bader
    Rampage Jackson
    James Te Huna
    a few other guys

Daniel Cormier UFC resume
    Dan Henderson
    Pat Cummins
    Frank Mir (hw)
    Roy Nelson (hw)

Glover was a lifetime LHW that hadn't lost since 2005. Cormier was a HW who is new to the division, and his career only goes back to 2009. The only way to make a case for Cormier is to base it on his accomplishments at HW, which is weak when you're talking about a great LHW division with alot of contenders.

8. roller

roller Black Belt

Who should have gotten that title shot over Glover?

He was on a 20-fight winning streak and was 5-0 in the UFC at that weight class.

Daniel Cormier is 15-0 and 4-0 in the UFC. However only 2-0 in the current weight class and those 2 wins....

Patrick Cummins (4-1) making UFC debut

Dan Henderson who is now 1-4 in last 5 fights

9. Sakurabinette

Sakurabinette Saku belt

15-0. Just choked Hendo unconscious after tossing him around for 3 rounds.
    That guy might be the best fighter in MMA right now.

DC should be permitted to do whatever he wants.
    Fuck it, Jon Jones might as well just mail him the belt and retire. :icon_chee

10. AwesomePossum1

Morally righteous? This is a forum to discuss the UFC. I posted a thread to debate who should get the next title shot. Nowhere did I express moral outrage or anything like that. So I don't get your point. You sound like Dana White right now, saying the media should stop asking questions, just watch and give compliments instead.

11. TehFlame

TehFlame Purple Belt

I guess JDS would need more than two dominant victories if he could ever make LHW because all his HW fights don't matter

12. AwesomePossum1

Once again I will point out that giving a guy a shot after a few wins is not the problem here. The problem is saying he will sit out until he gets the shot. You have to earn that right. Rashad Evans has a much better resume and that is the fight that needs to get made.

Remember that Gus vs. Jones isn't even booked yet. He could be sitting out for 10 months or more. How exactly is that a good thing?

13. Tech Nine**

Tech Nine** White Belt

No. My point is that you are complaining that Cormier deserves the next shot because he simply deserves it instead of you enjoying how competitive and entertaining the LHW division is getting. Especially with Jones vs Gus rematch about to come into fruition.

14. Fiction1982

Fiction1982 Green Belt

Bases on his fucking record... Damn.

15. AwesomePossum1

I can enjoy a division and voice my opinion about the rankings at the same time. I know how to multi-task.

Cormier's a great fighter, but if he waits for a shot instead of accepting a fight, he's ducking other contenders. No other way to look at it.

16. ocfightfan

ocfightfan Gold Belt

I think it depends on the circumstances. If it's going to be a long time to fight then he should take another fight. If not then I don't see a problem. He's a grown man and a top contender, that gives him more leverage. At the post fight presser he said he would have the conversation with Dana.

17. STRAWBOSS

STRAWBOSS MASTER SUGAR RIMMER

"friends with" is the new "ducking." DC needs to fight Rashad.

18. Arrrrgh

Arrrrgh Black Belt

DC said in the post fight he is game either way: (1) wait for a title shot or (2) fight someone else at the top of the division and get the winner of gustafsson and jones (if DC wins his fight).

So topic seems like a moot point.

19. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Titanium Belt

Who care if DC has accumulated enough UFC title points, or whatever factors into the title shot formula. Right now most knowledgeable fans believe he is ready to become champion at either LHW or HW. He just needs the chance. As a fan I want to see it. Having people in one org is supposed to pit the best vs. the best. The three true contenders are Gus, DC and the champ of course. Make these fights while the rest of the division establishes a different challenger.

The list of LHW's I can see beating DC starts and ends with Jones.

20. LNP 101

LNP 101 Banned Banned

JDS actually held the HW title and defended it. And if JDS somehow managed to get to 205, he would have a warm up fight before getting an immediate title shot. You're post is irrelevant.