• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DC and Stipe both supporting their World Cup teams

Meh. No one cares about the world cup

There’s 330 million of you, so there’s no excuses. There are plenty of sports the average American doesn’t care about and you still go out there and win their Olympic gold. You really, really should be able to find 11 guys who can play football/sawker well enough to defeat the likes of Panama, Jamaica and Honduras.

This is a pretty interesting video JeffDredd posted here that explains how America separated from the UK soccer/football & it gives the timeline. Basically, it's like we speculated... that American Football pushed it aside as the dominant sport in America.

Great find... was an interesting watch.

cliffs...
1863... is when England created the "soccer/football" rule-set that the world plays under today.

1875... Murica merged that ruleset with Candian Rugby & that quickly developed into American Football... which took hold in around 1879

1905... College football had become the more dominant sport.

1920's..... is when "soccer/football" made a comeback in Murica & was at its peak & a big soccer game even outsold a big American football game on at least one occasion. Murica had 2 soccer/football organizations that were feuding with each other & split the all ready split community. The great depression in 1929 all but killed the sport completely & it never really recovered after that. At least not to the same level.

The video doesn't explore the post 1930's soccer journey much, but you can pretty much fill in the gaps by seeing that every single high school & college in Murica has a football team but soccer teams are much more rare.

I'd say that with American Football being more wide-spread, offering more lucrative career potentials, & more college scholarships etc.... that Murica's best athletes are gravitating to that instead of Soccer & that pretty much explainz why such a big & financially sound country doesn't successfully compete at the highest level of Soccer world wide. I imagine basketball takes some top athletes away from soccer as well.

So while soccer in Europe are getting the cream of the crop of their athletes... the best American athletes have other priority sports ahead of soccer.

@One MMA Fan

Great breakdown.

There’s 330 million of you, so there’s no excuses. There are plenty of sports the average American doesn’t care about and you still go out there and win their Olympic gold. You really, really should be able to find 11 guys who can play football/sawker well enough to defeat the likes of Panama, Jamaica and Honduras.

Those 11 guys play another sport because no one cares about soccer.

I don't know I'm neutral, they took some pictures and made them more artsy fartsy it's whatever. If it's important to them and cool for them so be it.

Yea, you're right. It's just that I've seen waaaay better pregnancy pics.

Those 11 guys play another sport because no one cares about soccer.

Dude, you clearly didn’t understand my point. I am aware that you have other sports that attract more people who want to become professional athletes, but you still have a gigantic pool for potentially good athletes at ANY sport, not only baseball, basketball and American football. I didn’t even say you should find 11 guys who could win the World Cup; I just meant 11 guys who could consistently beat your Central American rivals (third-tier teams that always get obliterated at the world stage).

Dude, you clearly didn’t understand my point. I am aware that you have other sports that attract more people who want to become professional athletes, but you still have a gigantic pool for potentially good athletes at ANY sport, not only baseball, basketball and American football. I didn’t even say you should find 11 guys who could win the World Cup; I just meant 11 guys who could consistently beat your Central American rivals (third-tier teams that always get obliterated at the world stage).

You're not getting what I'm saying. NO ONE CARES ABOUT SOCCER OVER HERE. Most people don't even try it because no one gives a fuck about it. It's really that simple.

You're not getting what I'm saying. NO ONE CARES ABOUT SOCCER OVER HERE. Most people don't even try it because no one gives a fuck about it. It's really that simple.

First of all, you’re blatantly lying. Millions of Americans watch and play football and MLS is about to become your 4th most popular league.

Second of all, ONCE AGAIN, YOU’RE TOO FUCKING STUPID TO UNDERSTAND MY POINT. 330 million people. ONE THIRD OF A BILLION PEOPLE. You SHOULD find ELEVEN men who can play better than PANAMA’S and COSTA RICA’s best eleven. Stop lying and stop making excuses.

I can see why Daniel supports France when I looked up his last name origins

Back