DC almost came out of retirement because of Jan Blachowicz

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

“I’ve got to be honest. When Jan Blachowicz was like ‘hey, you want to disrespect me, get off the couch and come fight me.’ And I think to myself maybe I’ll go fight Jan Blachowicz,” Cormier told MMA Fighting on Thursday. “I’ll go fight him and get this done and then I can walk away.

“That lasted about 15 minutes and then I completely understood that I was completely done.”

According to Cormier, the competitive fire that burned inside him while he was wrestling and then fighting will never truly be extinguished but every athlete has to know when to walk away.

After hearing Blachowicz throw out that challenge, Cormier immediately started thinking about the possibility that perhaps he could fight again.

“Obviously every great fighter feels they can win,” Cormier explained. “I was like ‘maybe I’ll go fight Jan Blachowicz’ cause there seems to be a path for that. When I left 205, I just kind of left. I vacated the title and now that this new champion is there with not that many big name fights on the horizon.

“Now he does now that he has Izzy (Israel Adesanya) but at the time he didn’t. It was either going to be Glover Teixeira or Thiago Santos. Well, if you’re looking at a Jan vs. Glover or Thiago, that’s a great fight but if you’re looking at a Jan Blachowicz vs. DC, that’s a bigger fight. It’s like oh my goodness this could be an opportunity.”

After making promises to his family along with a huge number of new job opportunities presented to him following the end of his fighting career, Cormier opted to remain retired.

“I thought about that for like 15 minutes and then I was like you know what? I’m good,” Cormier said with a laugh. “The thought of going down to 205 [pounds] and all this other stuff. Yeah, I think I’m fine. That was it.”

Outside of that small hiccup, Cormier is completely satisfied in retirement and it turns out his day-to-day life hasn’t changed all that much.

“The transition’s been fun and honestly it’s not that different,” Cormier said. “I feel like for the last few years, I’ve been kind of prepping for this life. Because I fought three times in 2018 but then I fought once in [2019] and then I fought once this year. So the reality was I wasn’t the most active guy anymore, right? So the vast majority of the year, I would go in the gym, spar and workout some but then I was doing mostly television things in the off time.

“Now, it’s just not as much in the gym sparring and doing all those things. The workouts are at home in the garage. You jump on the treadmill, maybe the sauna and you’re good. You don’t have to get punched in the head anymore. So I feel like I’ve almost been preparing myself for this life for a couple of years.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Jan finishes any version of Cormier

DC is weak to the body and Jan's body kicks are the best in the sport

Plus Jan's takedown defense has improved tremendously and is now legitimately elite.

Yea sure. Just what the world needs, another title shot for DC. Even more cringeworthy, he is telling us if he wins, he rides off into the sunset leaving the LHW in yet another cluster fuck. No more free paydays for this fucking guy. Dear god.

He sure AF wasn't coming out of retirement for this

giphy.webp

Plus Jan's takedown defense has improved tremendously and is now legitimately elite.

Current Jan is a motherfucker and dont know how current DC would fare against him. However a prime DC that fought Gus, Rumble, Jones I would highly favor over any version of Jan.

If the fight ever gets made, DC will pull out after the first salad, he is never making 205 again.

People are gonna rip on you for this because Jan struggled with Souza

“I’ve got to be honest. When Jan Blachowicz was like ‘hey, you want to disrespect me, get off the couch and come fight me.’ And I think to myself maybe I’ll go fight Jan Blachowicz,” Cormier told MMA Fighting on Thursday. “I’ll go fight him and get this done and then I can walk away.

“That lasted about 15 minutes and then I completely understood that I was completely done.”

According to Cormier, the competitive fire that burned inside him while he was wrestling and then fighting will never truly be extinguished but every athlete has to know when to walk away.

After hearing Blachowicz throw out that challenge, Cormier immediately started thinking about the possibility that perhaps he could fight again.

“Obviously every great fighter feels they can win,” Cormier explained. “I was like ‘maybe I’ll go fight Jan Blachowicz’ cause there seems to be a path for that. When I left 205, I just kind of left. I vacated the title and now that this new champion is there with not that many big name fights on the horizon.

“Now he does now that he has Izzy (Israel Adesanya) but at the time he didn’t. It was either going to be Glover Teixeira or Thiago Santos. Well, if you’re looking at a Jan vs. Glover or Thiago, that’s a great fight but if you’re looking at a Jan Blachowicz vs. DC, that’s a bigger fight. It’s like oh my goodness this could be an opportunity.”

After making promises to his family along with a huge number of new job opportunities presented to him following the end of his fighting career, Cormier opted to remain retired.

“I thought about that for like 15 minutes and then I was like you know what? I’m good,” Cormier said with a laugh. “The thought of going down to 205 [pounds] and all this other stuff. Yeah, I think I’m fine. That was it.”
s
Outside of that small hiccup, Cormier is completely satisfied in retirement and it turns out his day-to-day life hasn’t changed all that much.

“The transition’s been fun and honestly it’s not that different,” Cormier said. “I feel like for the last few years, I’ve been kind of prepping for this life. Because I fought three times in 2018 but then I fought once in [2019] and then I fought once this year. So the reality was I wasn’t the most active guy anymore, right? So the vast majority of the year, I would go in the gym, spar and workout some but then I was doing mostly television things in the off time.

“Now, it’s just not as much in the gym sparring and doing all those things. The workouts are at home in the garage. You jump on the treadmill, maybe the sauna and you’re good. You don’t have to get punched in the head anymore. So I feel like I’ve almost been preparing myself for this life for a couple of years.”

Good on DC. Why come back for the hurt when you've got an absolutely terrific gig going? He'll be on TV for a while.
DC wins at life, man!

Yea sure. Just what the world needs, another title shot for DC. Even more cringeworthy, he is telling us if he wins, he rides off into the sunset leaving the LHW in yet another cluster fuck. No more free paydays for this fucking guy. Dear god.
Did you even read or listen to the whole thing? Basically says he ain't doing it.

I love DC but he's too old for that cut back to 205. I will say if he actually dieted and followed a strict nutrition plan, he'd have a great chance.
The fights that are on the table for him are not guys you want to end a career on. Ngannou, santos, reyes, Jan. These a big dudes who hit fucking hard. I love Cormier, but we haven’t seen him rag doll guys like he used to in quite a few fights. Unfortunately, that means he takes a lot of damage. And against these dudes, you can’t do that at DCs age without compromising your long term health.

It’s always fun to play “what if” though

Didn't even realize he had "retired". I'm certain he will fight at least one more time in his life.

This is what it looks like when someone has only read the thread title.

Back