Days in between lifting days??

maori rule all

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Just wondering days when your not lifting, whenever that is in your specific routine. Would it be good to do some curls or what not?heavy off course for some assitance because at the end of workouts in my routine I usually couldn't be arsed.

eg

Sunday

deadlift, 5x5
BOR3x5
lunges3x5

monday
heavy hammer curls 2 sets
heavy curls 2sets
chins + pull ups with weighted vest
and some tricep work.

It's just a thought Because my goals arn't based on my guns there based on strength but doing some curls isn't going to hurt your rugby or mma game, if anything it will aid it slightly wether we like it or not.

would it be worth it just doing things like that days between the serious workouts?

The general rule is rest between workouts.

If you want to throw some curls or calf raises at the very end of your workout and you don't think it's too much then go for it.

I think it would be ok to do stuff like arm stuff, rehab, prehab etc. between workouts.

ok, but not heavy, that would just effect the recovery rate right?? maybe just a few sets at the end of a workout to failure but heavy?

you can add core work, grip work, active recovery, etc... rest doesn't mean "not moving"

i like to do cardio on my non-lifting days. sprints, hill sprints, skill sessions, sparring, etc.

if i feel worn down, my cardio will not be intensive. if i feel like a stud, i'll be sprinting and such.

the better my carido work goes on off days, the better my lifting will go and overall energy.

just remember that tons of good sleep (naps when possible) and tons of good food are the keys to being able to maintain weeks of this without over training.

just keep an eye out for if and when you feel worn. if you feel burnt out, take a deload day or lighten the carido, but keep moving.

you can add core work, grip work, active recovery, etc... rest doesn't mean "not moving"

i like to do cardio on my non-lifting days. sprints, hill sprints, skill sessions, sparring, etc.

if i feel worn down, my cardio will not be intensive. if i feel like a stud, i'll be sprinting and such.

the better my carido work goes on off days, the better my lifting will go and overall energy.

just remember that tons of good sleep (naps when possible) and tons of good food are the keys to being able to maintain weeks of this without over training.

just keep an eye out for if and when you feel worn. if you feel burnt out, take a deload day or lighten the carido, but keep moving.

thanks for the input.

but when I was saying curls, I mean from the rep range of 5-12 so it would be pretty heavy, pick a weight I can do 5 reps stick with it until I can do it 12 reps then up the weight sort of a H.I.T approach. would that be suitable on days in between or should I just stick it through and do them at the end of the workout.

The reason I ask is because on workout days I'm not specificly working the guns so the next day should be ok? then the workout the day after shouldn't be effected to bad because I'm not targeting the arms or legs again.

it sounds to me like you really want to do curls, but there are a bunch of exercises that could improve your rugby/mma game infinitely more than hammer curls and heavy curls. I agree with fightsong that you should do some conditioning between heavy lifting days IF you feel up to it.

it sounds to me like you really want to do curls, but there are a bunch of exercises that could improve your rugby/mma game infinitely more than hammer curls and heavy curls. I agree with fightsong that you should do some conditioning between heavy lifting days IF you feel up to it.

hell yeah lol, na not really bro. I would get a lot of that conditioning done in the rugby training it's-self. But during the summer and when all matches and rugby is over I'm going for a 20 min run every other day up 2 my grandas to do tire flips, then rap a rope arround it and pull/push it so I'm getting a full body work out.

hell yeah lol, na not really bro. I would get a lot of that conditioning done in the rugby training it's-self. But during the summer and when all matches and rugby is over I'm going for a 20 min run every other day up 2 my grandas to do tire flips, then rap a rope arround it and pull/push it so I'm getting a full body work out.

Routine you just wrote>>>>>>>>>>curls

I prefer smoking weed, eating a lot, and sleeping a lot instead.

My average number of days between strength training workouts is 2.3 days. Although to be fair, many around here would say what I do doesn't qualify for The Real(tm) workout. But I digress. :)

During those off days I may do Olympic foil fencing, walk, bike ride, go to the mall, read, play some chess, practice Chinese, and hang out with friends.

I try to separate between Exercise and Recreation.
(http://www.superslow.com/articles/exercise_vs_recreation.html)

My 2.3 off days, on average, are for Recreation.

Yes, I don't think doing some isolation work on off days will hurt you. I usually do some active recovery work like incline walking on the treadmill, sled dragging, pre-hab stuff, and maybe some curls or shrugs to look jacked. Doing chins/a shit ton of curls and tricep work though sounds like too much. If you on doing that much you're better off lumping it into your workouts.

My primary activities on non-lifting days

years 1-10
1. read and re-read old lifting/bb mags
2. dream about next workout, write it on papwer at least 5 times
3. Constantly write new routines instead of listening to professor in hs/college

years 11-30
1. Work
2. dream about my next workout
3. Pretend to do cardio

seriously thought, get out of the gym, go on with your life, be productive, etc. You need days away from the gym not just to rest, but to get "hungry" for the gym again in a few days--you should reach a point where if you showed up and the gym was closed, you would not hesitate to rip the door off to get in and train. If you are always in the gym, things get routine and you lose that edge

^^So.... how's that blog of yours going...? ;)

I wonder if it is permissible to do high-rep barbell complex on the off days as some sort of anaerobic conditioning

Or will it make me allergic to beef?

Skills training/other cardio keeps me plenty occupied on non-lifting days

i recently compiled a list of worthwhile excercises ive never tried. every day i make sure to try a new excercise out. ill go light, and focus on learning the movement so i can try going heavy with it and fitting it into a later workout. this way i dont waste time/energy/CNS availability on heavy days learning it, and still do something active on rest days. tonight i shall attempt the standing bench press (bascially a standing press but lean back, like some of the old school olympic lifters did). i find myself excited to try new excercises, and dont skip workouts since im looking forward to trying something new.

i run or do some sort of cardio on non-lift days

Back