Day 5 of the Carnivore Diet: AMA

Echoing others here, need carbs for energy to fuel workouts

Carbs yea, I can do a feed zone thing. 8 hours etc. 11-7. Late night snacking kills me lol.
I bought my kids ice cream, last few days of their break, i couldn’t help but take two spoons…….. but my snack any other time of day is black coffee. For whatever reason, that really works for me. Today, i had my one meal kind of early, but thankfully it was really meat heavy and kept me satisfied the rest of the day. Trying to keep my one meal around dinner in case the family wants to eat together.

I have a few more questions, do you get constipation? I recall that being an issue of hard core keto, like really bad, almost needing laxative levels….

Sex drive go up?

Do you need any special minerals/electrolytes/water?

Halitosis?

Losing any weight?

Draw pictures of your poop on MS paint.
Or let us know where you rate one the stool chart.

15970-bristol-stool-chart-1296x1394-english-body-952x1024.jpg

Are you eating grass-fed, organic, meat? Animals that haven't been pumped full of hormones, chemicals, and mrna?

Add high quality eggs( cook with butter, yum), nitrate free bacon, salmon is good too and EVOO into the mix if you don't want to be super strict. I love all of that stuff.

After a week you should be feeling better and in ketosis. I don't know if you work out regularly, but if you don't, wake up a hour earlier and go for a hour walk everyday. If your really consistent with the diet and being active the weight will fly off, you'll feel great. Especially if you feel like you've been having brain fog.

I do a 3 or 4 day water/electrolyte fast like 3 times a year and I feel really good after that... Like REAL good.

Saw someone mention about being on keto and it making HIIT, CrossFit or any intense style workouts even more brutal and I will confirm my energy levels are shit when trying to preform those workouts while on a keto style diet.
My best friend has a CrossFit gym where I'm working out at and every single client who goes keto tell him they get gassed much faster then when they're on a higher good carb lower fat diet.

Stick to it, I hope it works great for you!

This. I don't know how the hell anyone that does weights or HIIT cardio etc can do it without carbs and not have their performance suffer.
The vast majority can't, and for good reason. But, if that's not the goal then it doesn't really matter.

The Carnivore diet is a fad diet that is currently proclaimed to cure every ailment under the sun. There's a lot of selection bias in the anecdotes and it overestimates the impact of diet on health, leaving out other equally important factors. With that said, the diet works well as an elimination diet and some people with food or bowl sensitivities do feel better, so as long as it's not sustained permanently there shouldn't be any long term health consequences. This might be what TS is looking for.

I think my main issue with how social media promotes some fad diets as panaceas, while claiming that other foods are toxic, is that is creates and environment of food disorders and obsessive behavior. It also neglects the fact that people are different. Yes, your overall diet plays a foundational role in your health, but the additive stress of an eating disorders may be worse than poor dietary habits. Follow the basics of whole foods, within reason, and stick to a variety you like and feel good on which is a little different from person to person.

Last edited:
Almost all diets used by high performance athletes involve going vegetarian or vegan.
Never change
I have a few more questions, do you get constipation? I recall that being an issue of hard core keto, like really bad, almost needing laxative levels….

Sex drive go up?

Do you need any special minerals/electrolytes/water?

Halitosis?

Losing any weight?
Feeling a little constipated now. Going to give it a few hours before I push.

Sex drive same.

Drinking electrolytes in the morning.

Lost a few pounds so far.
The vast majority can't, and for good reason. But, if that's not the goal then it doesn't really matter.

The Carnivore diet is a fad diet that is currently proclaimed to cure basically every ailment under the sun, when clearly it cannot. There's a lot of selection bias in the anecdotes and it overestimates the impact of diet on health, leaving out other equally important factors. With that said, the diet works well as an elimination diet and some people with food or bowl sensitivities do feel better, so as long as it's not sustained permanently it shouldn't have any long term health consequences. This might be what TS is looking for.

I think my main issue with how social media promotes some fad diets as panaceas, while claiming that every single other food is toxic, is that is creates and environment of food disorders and obsessive behavior. It also neglects the fact that people are different. Yes, your overall diet across many years plays a foundational in your health, but the additive stress of an eating disorders is more deleterious to your health than your specific dietary patterns. Follow the basics of whole and satiating foods, within reason, and stick to a variety you like and feel good on which is a little different from person to person.
This is definitely not a forever thing. I want to get the sugar in check and see how it goes.

The Carnivore diet is a fad diet that is currently proclaimed to cure basically every ailment under the sun, when clearly it cannot. There's a lot of selection bias in the anecdotes and it overestimates the impact of diet on health, leaving out other equally important factors. With that said, the diet works well as an elimination diet and some people with food or bowl sensitivities do feel better, so as long as it's not sustained permanently it shouldn't have any long term health consequences. This might be what TS is looking for.

I think my main issue with how social media promotes some fad diets as panaceas, while claiming that every single other food is toxic, is that is creates and environment of food disorders and obsessive behavior. It also neglects the fact that people are different. Yes, your overall diet across many years plays a foundational in your health, but the additive stress of an eating disorders is more deleterious to your health than your specific dietary patterns. Follow the basics of whole and satiating foods, within reason, and stick to a variety you like and feel good on which is a little different from person to person.
I've witnessed the lame walk again after going carnivore as it cleared their autoimmune issues right up.

Never change

Feeling a little constipated now. Going to give it a few hours before I push.

Sex drive same.

Drinking electrolytes in the morning.

Lost a few pounds so far.

This is definitely not a forever thing. I want to get the sugar in check and see how it goes.
Yeah by all means, if it's something you want to do, try it out and see how you feel. Perhaps near the end start thinking about a more sustainable way of eating, so you have a plan in mind. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Yeah by all means, if it's something you want to do, try it out and see how you feel. Perhaps near the end start thinking about a more sustainable way of eating, so you have a plan in mind. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
It’s weird because I actually eat very well. No enriched flour, wild caught or grass fed meat, no added sugar foods and no real processed foods at all.

This wasn’t a radical change for me really — just stopped doing the fruits vegetables and little amounts of bread I sometimes do.

It’s weird because I actually eat very well. No enriched flour, wild caught or grass fed meat, no added sugar foods and no real processed foods at all.

This wasn’t a radical change for me really — just stopped doing the fruits vegetables and little amounts of bread I sometimes do.

Is there a family history of diabetes? Usually people who end up with insulin resistance are eating the SAD. If you've only been eating carbs from whole foods, you shouldn't be getting prediabetic.

Have you tried measuring your level of insulin resistance when you're eating your usual diet? You can do it at home using the Glucose Ketone Index. It involves monitoring your ketone and glucose using strips and a glucose monitor before and after meals, over several days.

Is there a family history of diabetes? Usually people who end up with insulin resistance are eating the SAD. If you've only been eating carbs from whole foods, you shouldn't be getting prediabetic.

Have you tried measuring your level of insulin resistance when you're eating your usual diet? You can do it at home using the Glucose Ketone Index. It involves monitoring your ketone and glucose using strips and a glucose monitor before and after meals, over several days.
I am going to get continuous glucose monitoring after this diet to see how it goes

I didn't read the entire thread so apologize of it's been stated but always be mindful of constipation. I've been carnivore for many years and it can be a nightmare if you're not on top of your supplements. I tried many things my first year and magnesium citrate taken daily solves the issue. Good luck dude.

Started the Carnivore Diet for the month of January.

Copious amounts of beef, fish and venison.

Trying to reset my hormones and see if it makes feel better.

Ask me anything.

Go listen to the Huberman Lab podcast with Dr. Robert Lustig.

My bro science when it comes to nutrition that everyone has made fun of me for years is basically true with actual scientific explanations and there's a ton of shit in that podcast that I don't think the general public knows about. A calorie isn't a calorie and meat isn't necessarily equal if it's corn fed vs. grass fed. I think you'll wind up feeling a lot better by just eating sensibly and cutting out carbs and sugar than by attempting a fly by night diet.

Back