Darren Rovell: If they can't find anyone to even compete with her, interest will fade

I don't think it's that much of a detriment. Casuals like to watch Ronda for the same reason they watched black shorts Tyson. They want to see a dominating finish. Hell...even my mom who has previously given 0 shits about MMA was impressed by Ronda.

So it seems that Ronda Rousey and Joanna Champion are the Queens of the UFC.

[YT]727Ow4xZed8[/YT]

I think the interest w/ Ronda isn't if she's going to beat these girls, but how and how quickly? That's why I tune it - it's entertaining to watch her dominate quickly and thoroughly. So no, I don't agree.

You morons.

People love a sure bet, makes them feel smart, feel right. They can confidently tell others about her, and get them to tune in - showing off how smart and cool they are. This creates a snowball effect.

The answer is no, the reporter is possibly just being an attention whore.

will definitely happen. at least with Anderson, guys got close before someone finally took him out, like with chael in the 1st fight. rousey's opponents don't look they're in the same league with her.

i've already stopped watching her fights, it's too predictable.

I agree. But I do feel that by that time, she's brought enough people in that have gotten interested in other fighters. It's the perfect scenario for the UFC.

Eventually?? MAybe. Not anytime soon. Like was mentioned, most casuals have no clue who she is beating up. People still liked Tyson when he was destroying people. They'd tune in just to see how long the other poor sucker could last before getting blasted!

The casual audience isn't paying for a competitive fight at this point.

They are paying to see Ronda destroy someone.

I don't think it's the casual audience this time around. I think they went out to the bars more than stay home.

I do think the PPV sales were inflated by the celebrities buying it up to show they are behind a new sensation. Look at the silly tweets that went out all throughout the event. It looked like a huge twitter circle jerk to encourage her to beat Bethe as if that was in any doubt.

Trending is what is important. People, especially famous people want to be seen on the bandwagon. Popping for largely boring card with TUF contestants and a 34 second Ronda fight will not keep the casuals on board forever. Ronda will need a fully fleshed card next time around. She won't be able to carry TUFers again unless it's against Cyborg.

She still has a solid sideshow appeal to her. UFC are good at marketing and they'll put her on a card with other legit fights. I was hoping Holly would be ready by now :/ At this rate, Bethe would be on her 2nd title shot attmept before she's ready.

Rousey may not fight that much more, though. She said she was saving Cyborg for last. If she only beats another 3-4 people then calls it a career, she may well retire with her popularity at its peak, and it would be easier for her to enter the film industry.

But what kind of film career will she have? They're throwing her in a bunch of cheesy action flicks to cash in on her fighting fame but from what I've seen she can't act very well. I don't blame her one bit for cashing in but I think once she stops fighting (or loses) it will dry up.

I don't think interest will drop so much as PPV buys. I mean she is so comically ahead of her competition there is a good chance each fight ends up free via highlights the next day.

I voted yes but you do have a point. It's not like any of Ronda's recent opponents were legit contenders or competition for her. As long as the UFC can find some chick with a 2 or 3 win fight streak to feed to Ronda Rowdy, people will keep watching.

IDK about that Rousey is more of a feminist avatar at this point than anything or simply someone that destroys her opponents. But really is it going to last? We're already to MEISHA TATE 3. Does anyone really think this will end any differently than the last one? What next? Rousey-Correia 2? Rousey-McMann 2?

It will get old at some point..

He's right, but that's not happening any time soon. Her star is so bright now, and with a big hollywood bio pic on the way, it'll be a while before that happens. Plus cyborg is a carrot to dangle forever in front of fans.

I literally saw Ronda's entire fight for free on twitter with minutes of the finish. Who would pay for this junk?

Back