Darren Rovell: If they can't find anyone to even compete with her, interest will fade

Nope, people want a hero. Remember many of these folks weren't watching ufc 1 on vhs like many here were.

I think people prefer to tear down a hero than have one. Definitely is too big for her britches according to a lot of people.

She needs legit challengers. Someone is going to have to build them for her. Recruit from judo world championships, muay thai, boxing, etc. If Rousey is going to do more movies, the UFC will want to have someone ready to take her spot...but I doubt they have even planned that far ahead.

I still would like to see the UFC try to put an entire WMMA card and see if people will buy it, rather than all this support of name guys backing her up. Let's see if she is seriously legit other than through the liberal media that use her as a special interest/freak show more than anything.

Now that it isn't only "basement beta virgins" saying this ronda lovers are probably like:

vTPP7Z8.gif

Probably not. MMA is a novelty sport when it comes to the mainstream, Women's MMA is a novelty on top of a novelty and Ronda being extremely dominant is another novelty on top of that. Unlike boxing, the outside public has little understanding of or interest in a technical and competitive MMA fight.

There are three basic things people who aren't total MMA junkies like watching when it comes to MMA: competitive fights with some good action, highlight reel finishes, and greatness. Ronda provides two out of three in every fight. Hardcore fans may tire of her somewhat, but the casuals won't, at least not until something changes significantly.

They just need to change the way her fights are marketed. They need to stop pretending every opponent she faces is her "toughest challenge".

I think the only three legitimate threats Ronda has faced were Zingano, McMann and (forgive me guys) Tate. Dana and the UFC could very well be looked at by true mma fans as sandbagging for Ronda.

What's even more sad is that Ronda was a such a unique phenom that when she does finally retire there is a chance that overall interest in wmma will go with her. Let's face it, a huge portion of people tuning in to wmma today were more than likely sucked in by the RRR mystique and media machine. The day she retires may also be the day that the women's division in the UFC may be on it's way out the door as well.

As long as Ronda keeps annihilating her opponents, there will be interest in her.. especially if her opponents were kicking ass in their previous fights.

The numbers basically say that she isnt driving the PPV numbers like others. Her interest is largely the effect of social media blowing up post fight and people commenting. Her fights really should be on fox to maximize exposure.

They just need to change the way her fights are marketed. They need to stop pretending every opponent she faces is her "toughest challenge".

That's Dana and Rogan with that BS. Hardcore mma fans always know better and (quite frankly) are sick of hearing it.

i recently rewatched tate/rousey 2

this 3rd fight will be competitive because people dont want to admit it but their 2nd fight was very competitive

tate hit rousey with some good shots standing and the only person to take down rousey and end up in her guard and the only person to escape her arm bar

Rovell is a tool, just like all of his ESPN colleagues.

i recently rewatched tate/rousey 2

this 3rd fight will be competitive because people dont want to admit it but their 2nd fight was very competitive

tate hit rousey with some good shots standing and the only person to take down rousey and end up in her guard and the only person to escape her arm bar

tate also has the worse fight iq ive eve seen in that fight

I agree with him. Just before the Betche fight, I asked a friend if he was watching the Ronda's fight and he said something along the lines of "What's the point?"

Just a couple fights before that, people I knew were kind of amped to see her fight. Now they seem to think that her winning is written in stone, so there's not really that excitement/uncertainty factor anymore.

But the casuals think Rousey is facing other killers in the cage and not subpar competition. So they will keep the interest

I had a half dozen people ask me whether I thought Rousey could withstand Bethe's power.

So many Ronda white knights are butt hurt over what Rovell said is true.. Maybe UFC should stop putting the fight odds during UFN. Makes Ronda look bad.

He is right. The UFC hype machine is very powerful but it can only do so much. At some point, to even maintain her position, she will need a challenger who tests her in a big way.

Doubt it. People will be a fan even of boring fighters if they are consistent winners.

Disagree. The more victories she gets the most mythical creature she becomes and the more people want to watch her.

UFC needs to a better job findind and hyping opponents for her. Last fight was a joke.

this made a lot of sense, just ask yourself this... you were genuinely excited for Ronda last fight? genuinely level of Jones/DC, Lawler/McDonald, Aldo/Connor, Weidman/Machida?

Back