Dark Side of the Ring - season 2

Well the subject was Brawl For All and that's a pretty big part of the story, don't ya think?
I guess if you think it cost them something in a Stone Cold vs. Dr. Death angle, which I don't

I guess if you think it cost them something in a Stone Cold vs. Dr. Death angle, which I don't
I enjoy watching dr. Deaths work, but I have a hard time believing he and Stone cold would have been box office gold. Stone cold did better against freaks like undertaker, Kane and the three faces of Foley.

J.r comes off as a piece of shit in the two vice episodes I've watched. He just needs to own up to them trying like hell to pad Steve Williams. One eyed dude first round and then they rearranged the damn bracket hoping to give him the easiest guy...come on Ross, cut the shit.

The worst part was them burying Bart Gunn. They didn't even try giving him a push.

What the hell I went down a rabbit hole after Googling Marlena after watching WrestleMania 13 last night and found out she dated New Jack not that long ago. He got in trouble for distributing naked pictures of her as well as pictures of her bruised and bloody after he beat the shit out of her...he defended himself by saying “I took them. They’re my property so I can do whatever I want with them”.

I enjoy watching dr. Deaths work, but I have a hard time believing he and Stone cold would have been box office gold. Stone cold did better against freaks like undertaker, Kane and the three faces of Foley.

J.r comes off as a piece of shit in the two vice episodes I've watched. He just needs to own up to them trying like hell to pad Steve Williams. One eyed dude first round and then they rearranged the damn bracket hoping to give him the easiest guy...come on Ross, cut the shit.

The worst part was them burying Bart Gunn. They didn't even try giving him a push.

That bugs the shit out of me too, guy won the damn thing so you should at least try to do something with him.....in fact, I remember him having some entertaining hardcore matches with Bob Holly not long after, which was ten times better than that New Midnight Express bullshit Cornette was peddling

That bugs the shit out of me too, guy won the damn thing so you should at least try to do something with him.....in fact, I remember him having some entertaining hardcore matches with Bob Holly not long after, which was ten times better than that New Midnight Express bullshit Cornette was peddling

You could hand Vince a goose that lays golden eggs and the motherfucker would kill and eat it because it wasn't something he could claim credit for existing.

I enjoy watching dr. Deaths work, but I have a hard time believing he and Stone cold would have been box office gold.

You never know, because he never really got off the ground in the WWE. However, listening to these good old boys talk like Dr. Death was the biggest star in the industry before the BFA, is always grating. It's like they were his entourage, or something. IIRC, dude came in with little to no fanfare, and was a wildcard at best, his style was boring for the WWE at the time and he had no personality to speak of. His success was not guaranteed by any means whatsoever. These guys talk like they destroyed Hulk Hogan's career.

It's easy to look back and say "this is why it happened", and speculate. Maybe it was his rotted brain, or his drug and alcohol abuse. Possibly the fact he and Nancy were having problems toward the end. I really wish vice could have dug deeper into that. Or got regal to comment.

My theory is a simple one, in that he just snapped in a black out drunken rage during/after an argument, committed a psychotic act, went and passed out, woke up with maybe some vague memories of it, discovered what he actually did, and made the decision to jump off the planet and take his kid with him, rather than face the real world consequences of having to live to see his reputation destroyed, and being abandoned by everyone. Oh', and going to prison for the rest of his life.

I think Nash had the right take on it at the time, when he said that everyone was too focused on steroids, while paying absolutely no mind to all the empty booze bottles they found. While all the theories surrounding head injuries and whatnot are certainly valid, there could be a far less complex explanation in that he was just blackout drunk and flew into a rage. Happens all the time.

Kinda weird how The Tonga Kid basically refutes Jimmy’s story of her falling coming back to the car and then blabs on and on and on about what a great guy he was and how he’d never hurt anyone.

Kinda weird how The Tonga Kid basically refutes Jimmy’s story of her falling coming back to the car and then blabs on and on and on about what a great guy he was and how he’d never hurt anyone.
tonga kid wasn't even there in allentown w/ them.

According to the episode and from his own mouth he was so that’s what I was referring to.
Tonga Kid is a thief and a liar, fuckin guy been owing me 30 bucks for 3 years(true story), so I wouldn't believe everything he says

Tonga Kid is a thief and a liar, fuckin guy been owing me 30 bucks for 3 years(true story), so I wouldn't believe everything he says

I get it but it just seemed weird how he was like “Jimmy was a great guy and would never hurt anyone” blah blah blah but oh yeah his story of how she died isn’t true. If you’re going to go to those lengths to defend the guy why try to debunk his story?

Regardless Jimmy lived a miserable existence towards the end so I guess it’s karma if he did do it.

The WWF may have been a lot different when the company went national in 1984 if Snuka's drug issue along with Argention's death never happened.

In 1983, Jimmy Snuka was voted most popular wrestling in Pro Wrestling Illustrated. Snuka had the look that Vince Jr. liked; the mystique, coolness and charisma that the fans flocked to, not to mention the sort of matches that most wanted to watch. Bob Backlund said that he was asked by Vince Sr. what he thought of Snuka, with the idea that Snuka may have what it took to become WWF champion. Minus the issues Snuka had, he basically ticked all the boxes that Vince McMahon Jr. looked for in a wrestler (draw, body, gimmick).

Tonga Kid was likely brought in to try to replace Snuka due to his increasingly lack of reliability. Tonga Kid was way too young to handle all the pressures of a full-time schedule of a major territory at that point of his career, which is why he didn't last long in a major territory (WWF, AWA/Pro Wrestling USA) until the Islanders team that was formed in 1986.

WWF tried to replace Snuka again with Sivi Afi, who became a jobber in short order when fans turned against another imitation.

When Snuka came back in the late 80's, it wasn't the same. Yeah it was the 'Superfly' but the magic was gone. Snuka was a shell of himself. It can be argued Snuka hadn't been the same since his feud with Roddy Piper which was 1984 pre-Wrestlemania 1. Maybe there is something to the story that Piper says about Snuka not being right after the coconut shot to the head on Piper's Pit. It could have been the loss of Nancy Argentino. Or it could have been a combination of the drugs, the wear and tear on the body and the murder accusations?

It's thought that Vince McMahon tried to sabotage both Snuka and Bob Backlund so that Hulk Hogan was the unquestioned top baby face despite fan reactions. Snuka, the most popular of the three, had his flame snuffed out little by little and Backlund left for the AWA /Pro Wrestling USA and retirement shortly after.

Both Vince Sr. and Vince Jr. thought a lot of Snuka, but when VKM took control of the company, he probably figured he could replace the top baby face character with anyone that looks similar and try to make it work. The fans know better. This seems to be a trap McMahon falls into time and time again; where McMahon feels fans connect more to the gimmick than the wrestler.

WWE really screwed over Bart pretty bad. I remember watching the BFA as a kid and thinking Bart was awesome because he was knocking dudes out. Knew something was going on as once Bart won the whole thing, he disappeared and then popped back up against Butterbean. Was wondering who Bart pissed off and how, wouldn’t really find out until years later and now at least Bart gets to tell some of his side of the story to the world.

Always thought Dr. Death was boring as shit, granted I’d not seen his Japanese stuff at the time. Severn was boring as hell too.

Didn’t care for JBL and liked watching him get beat up, dude just had that “douchebag” air about him. Then all that other shit came out about him picking on/hazing people before and after BFA..

Damn New Jack is piece of shit.

I try to look at him as a bumbling fuck up of a murderer, who never managed to murder anyone despite his best efforts.

Dude is crazy though. It speaks to the irresponsibility of the bookers, that this guy still gets gigs. In what other business would this maniac still be getting hired, given what an unpredictable lunatic he is? The WWE had the smarts not to mess with the guy, but that's about it.

Back