Daniel Cormier vs Rashad Evans, who takes it?

Rashad has put on too much muscle and has lost a lot of speed and unpredictability. Still an elite level competitor though, but its clear he's not the same fighter he once was.

Honestly, no joke, I wonder if his test levels are where they need to be/or what they once were?

I actually see DC being very similar to Rashad at LHW, though perhaps with slightly better wrestling. Would be a compelling fight.

Their wrestling skill is not even in the same galaxy. Olympic Caliber vs College All American. Cormier will beat everyone at 205. The new LHW Champ.

Rashad has nothing for DC in the wrestling department, and DC is already the superior striker after 3 years of training. I'm curious how his speed holds up at LHW, Rashad is fast.

Cormier will beat everyone at 205. The new LHW Champ.

Im not so sure about that personally. I think he's making a mistake going to 205. Its a different playing field down there. At HW he is able to use his speed and athleticism, coupled with his outstanding wrestling base to do what he does. Down at 205 he is going to find guys just as quick and athletic as he is, if not more so in some cases.

I like Cormier, nothing against the cat. I hope he proves me wrong.

Last edited:
Their wrestling skill is not even in the same galaxy. Olympic Caliber vs College All American. Cormier will beat everyone at 205. The new LHW Champ.

Rashad has nothing for DC in the wrestling department, and DC is already the superior striker after 3 years of training. I'm curious how his speed holds up at LHW, Rashad is fast.

Wrestling creds don't always translate to MMA. So far he has looked fantastic but I think we'll have to see how he does at 205 before we write off Rashad. I think Thiago Silva would be a nice fight to start him off at 205. A win over him and someone like Rashad(should he beat Chael) or Davis would be enough for a title shot if he wins those fight decisively IMO.

Let's say that a weight cut to lhw goes well for Daniel. If that happens i see him mauling Rashad. Hands down.

Really good fight. Two of the best wrestlers in MMA. I'd give the edge to Rashad because of his standup and reach advantage over Cormier.

Cormier is so fat I just can't visualise him against any Light Heavy.

Wrestling creds don't always translate to MMA. So far he has looked fantastic but I think we'll have to see how he does at 205 before we write off Rashad. I think Thiago Silva would be a nice fight to start him off at 205. A win over him and someone like Rashad(should he beat Chael) or Davis would be enough for a title shot if he wins those fight decisively IMO.

His hand and foot speed is the biggest unknown factor at 205, imo. Not his wrestling, that doesn't diminish unless he loses strength. Watching the weigh-ins, he still looked chubby at 224, so I doubt he'll be drained.

His hand and foot speed is the biggest unknown factor at 205, imo. Not his wrestling, that doesn't diminish unless he loses strength. Watching the weigh-ins, he still looked chubby at 224, so I doubt he'll be drained.

I think his striking ability will either augment or decrease his ability to take down his opponents and stay on the feet. Against a guy like Rashad I think mobility is important, especially if you want to take him down.

Also, we have seen seemingly easier weight cuts go wrong because of health issues(Rumble). I like DC and I do want to see him succeed at LHW but I am still skeptical. Until I see him get his hand raised after weighing in at 205 I will have my doubts.

Im not so sure about that personally. I think he's making a mistake going to 205. Its a different playing field down there. At HW he is able to use his speed and athleticism, coupled with his outstanding wrestling base to do what he does. Down at 205 he is going to find guys just a quick as athletic as he is, if not more so in some cases.

I like Cormier, nothing against the cat. I hope he proves me wrong.

Agree completely. Cormier was so successful at HW in large part to his speed. He nullified any size disadvantage with his wrestling. At lhw, his speed is going to be average. Very comparable to Edgar going to 45. He may not have to deal with a size discrepancy anymore, but his speed advantage is completely gone in that division.

Really good fight. Two of the best wrestlers in MMA. I'd give the edge to Rashad because of his standup and reach advantage over Cormier.

2562612-FrySquint-gif.gif

Rashad easily. Rashad is probably the fastest LHW in the division, and Cormier, while being fast himself, is fast for a HW. Rashad isn't Bigfoot and Mir. He'll make Cormier look slow, and stuff him takedowns.

I think his striking ability will either augment or decrease his ability to take down his opponents and stay on the feet. Against a guy like Rashad I think mobility is important, especially if you want to take him down.

Also, we have seen seemingly easier weight cuts go wrong because of health issues(Rumble). I like DC and I do want to see him succeed at LHW but I am still skeptical. Until I see him get his hand raised after weighing in at 205 I will have my doubts.

He doesn't need level changes with strikes like most do, but just grabs a leg and lifts you up. Brock was similar with his takedowns in that sense, his wrestling was so good he didn't need to set things up.

But, yeah, he'll be sporting a different physique and that's always a gamble. His first fight at 205 could very well be a ugly grinder before he gets accustomed to faster opponents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back