Daniel Cormier might get to fight Jones at 205 despite having no wins

Son, it's the fight game, not the NCAA finals. I'd love to see this fight.

Every real contender will get their chance, in time. (fight like Cormier or Diaz, put fans in the seats, and it'll be sooner than later)

Hendo got injured and machida refused the shot on short notice.

Hendo had time to recover and still get a shot after Vitor.

Machida could have received the shot after Vitor, too, they just chose to snub him out of spite/love for the Chael $$$.

Dana has talked out of his ass for too long. I will never believe him when he tells me a guy is the #1 contender. He simply says it to hype fights.

I have no problem with the next shot going to Gus or Hendo (if he beats Machida). Cormier is deserving, but I'd personally like to see him fight once at 205 first just to see him at that weight and to let him get comfortable with the cut.

Dana has talked out of his ass for too long. I will never believe him when he tells me a guy is the #1 contender. He simply says it to hype fights.

This is very true. They just did it at WW, marketing Hendricks/Kampmann as a no. 1 contender fight and then giving the shot to Diaz instead. Eventually people are going to catch on that rankings and no. 1 contender fights are meaningless. Whether they stop watching is another matter, though.

Cormier has two top 10 wins at a higher weight class and is unbeaten. Nothing wrong with this as long as he isn't getting in front of more deserving contenders.

all happening outside of the UFC...

I have no problem with the next shot going to Gus or Hendo (if he beats Machida). Cormier is deserving, but I'd personally like to see him fight once at 205 first just to see him at that weight and to let him get comfortable with the cut.

I think Gus will benefit from more experience before he gets to the top floor of the game of death that is JBJ :)

He should have to fight a top contender first no doubt. People are acting like it's a given for him to just drop down and still be an elite fighter, when in fact there's a huge question mark there. DC will be at least 34 when/if fight. He's never fought at 205. The last time he had to cut weight was over four years ago, and that was to 211.

If he does move down, he's already said he would have to undergo a completely different lifestyle. He won't be able to cut much water, so he would have to diet down slowly. Seems like too much of a commitment for the risk. Esp when he's a top HW right now with better fights to make in the division.

Last edited:
So who is the fucking number one contender? Machida was supposed to be after KTFOing bader. Then Vitor got the shot. So Henderson Machida was made so Chael and Sonnen could coach tuf while the winner would face the winner of Henderson Machida. All the while Guftasson was told he was the number one contender? This is a whole mess of shit. This is why I dont believe the bald father when he says so and so is the number one contender.

all happening outside of the UFC...

Which matters, why? Maybe from a hype angle but he would have likely already fought at HW in the UFC before his potential move down to LHW and his highlight reel is easy to hype.

This is very true. They just did it at WW, marketing Hendricks/Kampmann as a no. 1 contender fight and then giving the shot to Diaz instead. Eventually people are going to catch on that rankings and no. 1 contender fights are meaningless. Whether they stop watching is another matter, though.

they are meaningless yet 47 of the last 50 title shots were against the #1 contender.

So obviously they aren't meaningless at all.

I would love to see catch weigh fight for the two fighters, great fight to watch I think.

Cormier is dropping down from a higher weight class in which he is still undefeated in. There shouldn't be a problem if he gets a title shot. Lets not forget that the LHW division is a bunch of HWs who cut weight to avoid fighting bigger guys.

I would rather see Cormier than anyone else, so I'm for it. He's an undefeated HW champion with the skills to mangle JBJ and a great guy.

Cormier has two top 10 wins at a higher weight class and is unbeaten. Nothing wrong with this as long as he isn't getting in front of more deserving contenders.

It is not Cormiers fight record I am worried about.

Due to his health issues Cormier cannot 'cut' much weight which at HW is no issue. But to not cut much weight at LHW means he will have to lose a lot of fat and likely some muscle. it also means he will likely be one of the smallest LHWs if he is not cutting and just shrinking to within weigh in range with a much smaller cut then everyone he would be fighting.

So based on that I do think we need to see how he performs at LHW before jumping to a title shot.

SF HW titleholder getting an immediate title shot isn't too bad. Also, it has the potential for a really good fight, which is another plus.

It's more legit than two MWs coming up and getting shots like Sonnen and Belfort, right?

It is not Cormiers fight record I am worried about.

Due to his health issues Cormier cannot 'cut' much weight which at HW is no issue. But to not cut much weight at LHW means he will have to lose a lot of fat and likely some muscle. it also means he will likely be one of the smallest LHWs if he is not cutting and just shrinking to within weigh in range with a much smaller cut then everyone he would be fighting.

So based on that I do think we need to see how he performs at LHW before jumping to a title shot.

That may be a valid concern. I'd still rather he just stayed at HW but you have to chase the money, I guess.

they are meaningless yet 47 of the last 50 title shots were against the #1 contender.

So obviously they aren't meaningless at all.

Sonnen isn't the no. 1 contender. Vitor wasn't either. Neither was Rampage. Machida was supposed to be after beating Bader, but he isn't. Now Gus is supposed to be, but could get skipped as well. Hendo beat Shogun in a no. 1 contender fight but lost his shot due to an injury.

Hendricks isn't getting his title shot despite winning a no. 1 contender fight. And actually, Kampmann vs. Ellenberger was billed as a no. 1 contender fight too.

There is little, if any, reason to believe the winner of a no. 1 contender fight will actually get the next shot.

"Despite having no wins." Uh, yeah. Cause beating guys like Barnett and Bigfoot mean you're not ready to fight those giants at LHW?

BTW - It's taken you this long to realize that rankings and "No 1 contender" fights mean nothing, anyway?

It's called "a diet." Just like Fedor could have dieted and then made 205, so can Cormier. People that say "he can't cut because of his health!!" - no one's expecting him to cut from his current weight.

It's been this way for a while, but I'm not gonna complain about Cormier-Jones when we're forced to watch Sonnen-Jones, which makes MUCH less sense.

Back