Daniel Cormier might get to fight Jones at 205 despite having no wins

It's been this way for a while, but I'm not gonna complain about Cormier-Jones when we're forced to watch Sonnen-Jones, which makes MUCH less sense.

I couldn't agree more. Cormier at least has an *excellent* record at a higher weight class, while Chael found mediocrity at LHW and decent success at MW.

That's fine.

If he is having trouble with the cut, JBJ should agree on a weight to meet at. He wants HWs. Cormier would be a good start. No belt on the line.

Just a fight.
Just Do IT

A heavyweight that could step right in and fight for the UFC title somehow is undeserving of fighting for the LHW title if he chose to go there?

MMA fans are the worst.

A heavyweight that could step right in and fight for the UFC title somehow is undeserving of fighting for the LHW title if he chose to go there?

MMA fans are the worst.

Yes.

And yeah, we're pretty bad. Wanting to see how good a fighter would perform at a weight class before giving him a title shot makes no sense I guess...

And I would love to see them fight at HW in a year or so. Would be a much better fight.

That's fine.

If he is having trouble with the cut, JBJ should agree on a weight to meet at. He wants HWs. Cormier would be a good start. No belt on the line.

Just a fight.
Just Do IT

It doesn't make sense, if cormier wants to fight Jones he comes down to LHW and if he beats him takes his belt and if he loses he goes back to HW.

Or if he cant make the cut, he waits on jones to go up to HW, no catch-weight.

Why agree to meet at catch-weight if jones still holds a LHW belt.

DC is going into the UFC HW division. Source: he said it on Saturday.

Mir first and he said many other fights for him, maybe even Cain in the future.

Can we stop dreaming about 205 DC, at least until after he fights Mir?

I thought that Clay Guida was getting the next shot. All he has to do is make weight, right?

I've seen Cormier at a SF event up close and he is a wide dude. I am 6', 200 lbs and DC looked 2x my width. I'm all for him fighting at 205 if his kidneys can make it. I'd love to see him fight once at 205 to get the weight cut down then go for a title shot.

Saying Cormier-Jones is as bad as Jones-Chael when they're only slightly similar is preposterous.

Just hope that if Daniel does get this fight, that he can get down to 205 safely and in a healthy manner.

It's called "a diet." Just like Fedor could have dieted and then made 205, so can Cormier. People that say "he can't cut because of his health!!" - no one's expecting him to cut from his current weight.

Dieting and cutting weight are two totally different things.

Cormier would have to take at least a year off to make it at 205 with dieting. With cutting weight it is a different ball game.

you realize they get shitloads of buys based on brand name alone right? Do you know how many people know what UFC in comparison to who GSP is?

Doesn't matter. At the end of the day it's all about who is fighting who.

The least known a fighter is, the least amount of PPV buys UFC will get.

At least he won his last fight, unlike three of the UFC's current title contenders.

Hendo had time to recover and still get a shot after Vitor.

Machida could have received the shot after Vitor, too, they just chose to snub him out of spite/love for the Chael $$$.

Dana has talked out of his ass for too long. I will never believe him when he tells me a guy is the #1 contender. He simply says it to hype fights.

Lol. I can see you are new to this prize fighting stuff.

you realize they get shitloads of buys based on brand name alone right? Do you know how many people know what UFC in comparison to who GSP is?

Yes, they do sell a lot just off the name. But it only goes so far. If you pay attention to buy rates it's clear that certain fighters or certain matchups sell more ppvs than others.

20120519_ajw_st3_428.0_standard_730.0.jpg

There is no need for him to go down to 205, nor do I think he can make it and live. HWTs have held the title for 2 defenses, at most. If Cain wins his next two fights (conceivable), he will have taken out Reem and probably Werdum. I doubt he wins a third, whether against Barnett or whomever. Not that he isn't geed enough to beat whomever he fights in the second or third defense, but because the HWT division is so volatile. The worst punchers have big KO power.

Even if he stays at HW, there's going to be some interesting fights now. So excited to see him signed with the UFC.

As comical and perhaps inappropriate the nickname Black Fedor is, I'm more than okay with him being compared to HW's GOAT.

Have we really seen that combination of handspeed and power in a man of his size, since Emelianenko? His teammate Cain comes close, he really does, but I think Cormier surpasses him in this aspect.

temp-320-53005636.gif

Really exciting times.

Back