Daniel Cormier might get to fight Jones at 205 despite having no wins

CheyMongaloid**

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
20120519_ajw_st3_428.0_standard_730.0.jpg

Chael Sonnen is somehow the #1 contender at light heavyweight, Machida and Henderson were fighting to be #1 contender until Gustafsson beat Rua to earn the honor. But now Dana White says Daniel Cormier might somehow be next for Jon Jones.

The UFC has been quickly moving away from any sort of sensible, easy-to-follow methodology and instead has moved into "whoever Dana White and Co. like today. In no division is this on display quite like light heavyweight.

Dan Henderson was the number one contender, set to fight Jon Jones only to injure his knee and have to pull out of the bout. Now it's Chael Sonnen who will be coaching The Ultimate Fighter against Jones and fighting him for the title in a weight class he hasn't fought in for several years after losing two shots at the middleweight title. Sonnen got the fight because he's the only guy that wanted it -- when it was offered on three days notice, not when it came with a long, full training camp.

Henderson was scheduled for a fight against Lyoto Machida in what was supposed to be a number one contender fight but then the UFC declared that Alexander Gustafsson against Shogun Rua was the actual number one contender fight. After Gustafsson won that bout it became a situation where now Gustafsson might fight Machida if Henderson can't because of the knee injury.

But NOW Dana is throwing out a new name as a potential number one contender:

"[Cormier] is going to bring a lot of excitement to the heavyweight or light heavyweight division," White said following Saturday night's UFC 155 event in Las Vegas. "And he could be next in line to fight (Jon) Jones."

Cormier is a great fighter and the prospect of him fighting Jones is appealing on paper, my objection has absolutely nothing to do with DC's skills. But we've never seen the guy fight at light heavyweight. We don't know anything about how his body would handle cutting the extra weight, something that is more of a factor with Daniel than most fighters considering his incident at the 2008 Olympics where his weight cut led to kidney failure.

But more than just "does Cormier deserve the fight?" is the issue of the UFC effectively ruining their ability to promote number one contender fights.

Why should anyone care when a fight is billed as a number one contender fight? The UFC has used it as a selling point for fights on Fox shows, Gustafsson vs. Rua being a solid example of that. While I understand the idea of Gustafsson not wanting to sit on the shelf until whenever Jones is ready after he humiliates Sonnen, the plan is to get eyes that don't normally watch your product on the Fox shows and hook them.

Gustafsson was impressive against Rua, but anyone who thought "oh man, I might have to actually buy a PPV to see him fight for the title" might now not get that fight. And it's happening over and over these days as the UFC loses its identity.

It's a problem that needs addressing, but I doubt gets it.

He's not going to 205. Likes his pizza too much.

It's their company they can set the fights they want.

If they pick fights the fans don't want, the fans won't buy them. It's really that simple.

He's coming down in weight. Its not that big of a deal. Gus under performed against Shogun. Would anyone really prefer to see Jones/Machida again over a new opponent?

The only guy who could potentially be getting shafted is Hendo if he beats Machida.

Sure.

Black on Black crime is always a huge draw. And he deserves it. LHW is empty of contenders.

that is the fight i want to see. Cormier said he would rather not fight Cain and he would consider a move to not fight him.

i wish they would just make up there mind

He is a more legitimate contender than Sonnen or Belfort.

First, this has been going on since the UFC was started. Every year people bitch about it like it's something new, but the truth is, the UFC has become MORE meritocratic over time.

Second, White always tries to have the best fight the best, with a little wiggle room to put fan favorites in the ring. You think someone else should be the #1 contender? White might make him fight 1 or 2 more times first, but he'll get a shot at the belt within 18 months.

Finally, things change. The guy who was #1 contender yesterday isn't any more because suddenly there's a guy who's likely to have a better shot at the belt and draw more eyeballs. If Gustafsson is destined to be LHW goat, who cares if we have to wait an extra 6 months to see him fight for the belt?

To be fair I'd give him a much better shot at dethroning JBJ than the other contenders..

008_dana_white.0_standard_352.0.jpg

582208_10151081238311276_84979447_n_large_medium.jpg

"Jones will face Henderson for LHW supremacy! Oh wait, he got injured. Screw that guy"

Machida-ending-Bader.-Photo-by-Tracy-Lee.jpg

"The Dragon is BACK, folks! Machida is the #1 contender."

AlexGustsas-425x288.jpg

"Wait, forget what we said! Gustaffson, the best prospect from Europe in a decade, is up next!"

cormier-st1.jpg

"Ah, forget all that crap I said before."

I wouldn't be upset if he got the shot right off the bat but I would much rather see him have a fight at 205 so he can adjust and we can see how he performs.Also a good win would make him more marketable.I honestly don't think he'll go right to a title shot.

Ace1988 that's about right good stuff.

008_dana_white.0_standard_352.0.jpg

582208_10151081238311276_84979447_n_large_medium.jpg

"Jones will face Henderson for LHW supremacy! Oh wait, he got injured. Screw that guy"

Machida-ending-Bader.-Photo-by-Tracy-Lee.jpg

"The Dragon is BACK, folks! Machida is the #1 contender."

AlexGustsas-425x288.jpg

"Wait, forget what we said! Gustaffson, the best prospect from Europe in a decade, is up next!"

cormier-st1.jpg

"Ah, forget all that crap I said before."

Hendo got injured and machida refused the shot on short notice.

fine with me

let break Gus in half to shut up all the whiney babies first

Cormier has two top 10 wins at a higher weight class and is unbeaten. Nothing wrong with this as long as he isn't getting in front of more deserving contenders.

I would love to see this fight, After Cain won Cormier obviously isnt going to fight him. Hope Daniel can drop the weight safely. He would pummel jones

Unlike Sonnen , i have no problem with Cormier getting a shot immediately if he cut to LHW. At least he's coming of 2 solid wins and is a contender in an heavier division. That count for something.

Back