Dana White On Concussions: "The UFC Is Safer Than The NFL"

Nice find. Dana is so full of shit. lol at safest sport in the world. He has no respect for the intelligence of mma fans.

The difference is he was examined by doctors before being allowed to fight again.

Safest sport in the world I don't know about that.

I don't need scientific research to know that recieving a concussion and still continuing to bash your head into someone else is more dangerous then recieving a concussion and having three months off.

Like Damarques Johnson had 3 months off after getting kod?

One fighter could get multiple concussions in one fight and continue fighting. They could get many and training and still fight as well.

Yes they are.

No they aren't

Offensive & Defensive Linemen collide head-to-head on nearly every play in the line of scrimmage

When a Running Back runs towards a Linebacker in the middle of the field and gets drilled in the head it's not illegal, because the RB CHOOSE to collide with the LB instead of going down for example

What's illegal is hitting a QB in the head and/or hitting a "defenseless" receiver who's about to catch the ball and who's not looking at the defender

Legal Hit To The Head:

Illegal Hit To The Head:

Like Damarques Johnson had 3 months off after getting kod?

One fighter could get multiple concussions in one fight and continue fighting. They could get many and training and still fight as well.

Yes they could. The difference is this doesn't always happen. It's a regular thing in football. Also doctors examined Johnson before he fought again he didn't just get to enter the ring. Like when Alves had a fight they found a serious problem in his brain and he had to get surgery.

Listen your not going to convince me that players who continue to bash their heads into eachother week after week is safer then MMA it's just not going to happen. If you need scientific proof to be convinced that's fine, I don't.

Running backs blow up defensive players all the time and don't get a flag.

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/packershelmetohelmet.html

Typically, the defender is flagged or fined for a helmet-t0-helmet collision, regardless of who initiated the contact. As soon as next season, however such a play could draw a flag on the ball carrier, or be reviewed postgame and result in a fine.

"Yes, helmet-to-helmet contact between a runner and defender (especially in the open field) will be reviewed in the off-season by the Competition Committee," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of public relations, in an email statement to OnMilwaukee.com.

So no, all helmet to helmet hits are not illegal, it's still an evolving process.

This doesn't conclude a majority of plays where players aren't flagged for hits to helmets not using helmets. Sidney Rice getting torpedo'd in the back of the head against the Bears comes to mind.

Sitting here crying about MMA being more, or less safe than the NFL is pointless. Information on concussions is still a relatively new thing, even for the NFL which has been around a hell of a lot longer than the UFC. When/if studies are conducted on MMA fighters and some comparable information comes out then there is something to discuss.

For now this topic just seems to be a reason for Dana White haters to get flustered.

No they aren't

Offensive & Defensive Linemen collide head-to-head on nearly every play in the line of scrimmage

When a Running Back runs towards a Linebacker in the middle of the field and gets drilled in the head it's not illegal, because the RB CHOOSE to collide with the LB instead of going down for example

What's illegal is hitting a QB in the head and/or hitting a "defenseless" receiver who's about to catch the ball and who's not looking at the defender

Legal Hit To The Head:

Illegal Hit To The Head:

There's a difference between helmet to helmet hits and hits to the head.

The NFL has been scrutinized about concussions for years that's why so much research has been done to find the connection between concussions and players

When junior seau committed suicide a few months ago people were screaming about how it had to be a result from concussions he suffered over the course of his .nfl career, and they were right

The ufc has not had an incident like to say the ufc is safer than the nfl in terms of concussions can't be said because the long term effects from fighting aren't as widely documented and looked at a the effects from playing football

Seems like apples and oranges to me. Whether it's mandatory period or not, if the doctor legitimately clears an athlete to compete it doesn't seem like a huge deal to me.

If you put a football player out for 3 months for every concussion, each player would only play like 2 games a season. A fighter is a 'one man team' that competes a few times a year, separated by many months if necessary.

Sure the NFL is dangerous, but someone like Brady is one player on one team. In the cage, there are only 2 athletes and each is trying to hurt the other.

The knockouts Ive seen in soccer were 10 times worst than any I have seen in MMA.

Ugh, some of those are disgusting. The ragdoll ones in mid-air are painful to watch.

Ugh, some of those are disgusting. The ragdoll ones in mid-air are painful to watch.

I think it's really all a wash - fighters might have to get checked after a fight and cleared to train/fight again, but they probably take a ton of lumps while training and some guys probably spar super hard.

The thing with most contact sports is that guys get concussed and then sent right back into the fire just for it to happen again and more frequently.

As for other combat sports, MMA provides a great recovery time for those who get KO'd and once you get KO'd, it's over. There's no rule that lets you continue if you miraculously get to your feet. MMA is one of the safest contact sports in the world, it seems.

248646cdec.jpg

source: http://www.mmamania.com/2013/1/8/3852326/ufc-president-dana-white-mma-concussions-nfl-mma

I agree totally about UFC being safer than The NFL. That's why it pisses me off that The NFL is regarded as this all-American "family sport" where mom and dad take their kids to the game and they all watch a game of "Kill The Guy With The Ball." Yet when it comes to The UFC, most parents wouldn't bring their kids to it, and most girls don't like it because they say it's too violent and those same girls love The NFL.

So he actually has no scientific evidence to back up this fact?

Also, the NFL has spent tens of millions on concussion research for its players. The UFC has done what?

lol. safest sport in the world!

the fls has spent 10's of millions of dollars doing research and 12 year olds are still getting concussions trying to make it to high school to make it to college to make it to the nfl so it may not be the safvest sport in the world but its definitely safer than football , and i dont even see how that is up for debate.

if you taught an 8 year old to fight your a monster put a helmet on them and let them cause each other irreparable long term damage your a good parent... that must be a safe sporting environment right? (end obvious sarcasm)

So he actually has no scientific evidence to back up this fact?

Also, the NFL has spent tens of millions on concussion research for its players. The UFC has done what?

lol. safest sport in the world!

what does research do ? other then allow the NFL to say they are looking into it

I dont want to see the NFL change, but lets be honest here if you have broken ribs and were knocked unconscious 2 weeks ago you shouldnt be suiting up

I guess only time will tell, but from what I can see the UFC is doing it right.

Not too many scientists on sherdog I take it.

Holy shit

Is this really that much of a question. I only played in high school and got my bell rung enough to know it wasn't good for me. Guys getting hit like that at those speeds over and over again for twenty years has got to be terrible for you.

what does research do ? other then allow the NFL to say they are looking into it

I dont want to see the NFL change, but lets be honest here if you have broken ribs and were knocked unconscious 2 weeks ago you shouldnt be suiting up

The NFL has drastically changed its rules to protect players. Do you see any Ronnie Lott type head hunters on the field anymore?

Back