Dana White On Concussions: "The UFC Is Safer Than The NFL"

I'd tend to think Linebackers the size of Overeem and Defensive Backs the size of Hector Lombard hitting you over and over week after week would have the bigger impact on your brain. Especially using hard plastic of shoulder pads and in some cases helmet to helmet at high speeds. They are doing a good job of addressing the latter, but they still happen and happen often. Concussions usually only sideline an NFL player for 6 and a half days. That's crazy.

The NHL has had a big problem with concussions and if I remember correctly some doctors were saying it's not always the big bodychecks that do it, it's the constant crashing, banging and whiplash effect of the game that produces so many concussions.

However, being that they are 2 very different sports and with no medical background I really can't say which would be safer.

Also the UFC is always bragging about how there has never been a death or serious injury but the reality is it's just a matter of time... It'll happen soon enough.

248646cdec.jpg

Someone please put a shadface on that saints receiver

If they had soft or frangible helmets they run other risks. What happens if 4, 350 pound linemen are laying on your head? The NFL is trying to improve everything and make it safer. It's just that there will always be inherent risks with sports.

Good point, The whole part of sports being entertaining is the risk that comes with it.

what a joke - here's dana white, dana white proclaiming mma a safer sport with zero proof to back it up and there are people here who just say, "oh, yes, absolutely!"

in the NFL blows to the head are illegal, using the helmet to spear a player during a tackle is illegal, helmet to helmet contact is illegal - in mma blows to the head are a given - how many times do we see a ko during a UFC event? - so often that when we don't we're disappointed: that's a concussion, a huge concussion - how many times do we see a guy get wobbled - every card, that's a concussion - does the fight get stopped unless it's a tko? no - does the fighter get suspended from contact for 60 days? no

you think guys in the nfl need to be unconscious to get benched? - players get sidelined and even suspended from play all the time for being a little woozy or shakey when they get up from a tackle - that's the exact same thing as taking a big punch, getting wobbled but not going out - in the nfl players are not allowed to continue to play unlike mma where they are given a chance to "recover" and keep fighting -

in addition it's a proven fact that pre-concussive blows are just as dangerous in the long run since it's damage being done to the brain that is ignored and never allowed to properly heal - what's a pre-concussive blow? - getting hit in the face and head multiple times over and over without any respite - that's what mma fighters do - that's their life - both in the fight and in the gym

i love watching this sport but lets not kid ourselves - mma is remarkably dangerous and the life of a professional fighter is an extremely unhealthy lifestyle choice (as is the choice of being a pro in the nfl) -

and yes, Tom Brady would be suspended indefinitely if he took a
concussion-producing blow on the field - he'd be suspended until he stopped showing any signs of said concussion - it's happened to star players at least a dozen times that i can think of - usually it's only for a game or 2 but the difference with the nfl is you get suspended until you're symptom free - there are players who've missed multiple weeks and even whole seasons as a result, who's careers are now in jeopardy (in the nfl, W. Silva would no longer be allowed on the field) and not just 60 days

listening to dana white, the biggest bullshi*t artist since P.T. Barnum, laud the safety of fighting in a cage and believing him is as stupid as listening to the CEO of Phillip Morris state, in the 1980's, that there is no real proof that cigarettes cause cancer

Also the UFC is always bragging about how there has never been a death or serious injury but the reality is it's just a matter of time... It'll happen soon enough.

Serious injury already happened to that 6'4 155 guy black guy ......I forgot his name

First of all, if you get a concussion, if you get knocked out or you get hurt whatsoever in the UFC, three months suspension. You are on suspension for three months and you cannot come back until you are cleared by a doctor. You can't have any contact whatsoever.

Weird.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/DaMarques-Johnson-12913

Got knocked out as bad as a person can be on August 4th and still managed to fight again on September 29th, less than 2 months later.

I don't think the UFC has been around long enough for there to be legit data on the long term effects of the concussions suffered... The data on the NFL goes back like 50 years and many of the long term effects on the players don't start to reveal themselves until many years later.

Also, most of the precautions that Dana is bragging about, like the 3 month suspensions are mandated by the state athletic commissions, not the UFC themselves. If it was up to the UFC to decide I doubt they would be doing that.

We'll have a better picture of what the situation is in another 15 or so years. I don't think it could be any worse than boxing though.

Regardless as to who put it in place it is still a fact that in the UFC you get those suspensions. Making it a safer sport than those that encourage players to hide their symptoms.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ab6933/article/emmitt-smith-id-lie-about-concussion-to-keep-playing

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82aa47d6/article/troy-polamalu-ive-hid-concussions-from-steelers-staff

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000095377/article/brian-urlacher-dont-play-if-you-dont-want-concussion

I also agree that MMA should have less injuries than boxing. If it turns out that MMA has worse injuries then something weird is happening.

Dana has been telling punch drunk guys like Wand, Chuck, Nog etc to retire. It's on them if they want to continue.

It's on them if they want to continue, but it's also up to the UFC whether they want to employ them or not.

what a joke - here's dana white, dana white proclaiming mma a safer sport with zero proof to back it up and there are people here who just say, "oh, yes, absolutely!"

in the NFL blows to the head are illegal, using the helmet to spear a player during a tackle is illegal, helmet to helmet contact is illegal - in mma blows to the head are a given - how many times do we see a ko during a UFC event? - so often that when we don't we're disappointed: that's a concussion, a huge concussion - how many times do we see a guy get wobbled - every card, that's a concussion - does the fight get stopped unless it's a tko? no - does the fighter get suspended from contact for 60 days? no

you think guys in the nfl need to be unconscious to get benched? - players get sidelined and even suspended from play all the time for being a little woozy or shakey when they get up from a tackle - that's the exact same thing as taking a big punch, getting wobbled but not going out - in the nfl players are not allowed to continue to play unlike mma where they are given a chance to "recover" and keep fighting -

in addition it's a proven fact that pre-concussive blows are just as dangerous in the long run since it's damage being done to the brain that is ignored and never allowed to properly heal - what's a pre-concussive blow? - getting hit in the face and head multiple times over and over without any respite - that's what mma fighters do - that's their life - both in the fight and in the gym

i love watching this sport but lets not kid ourselves - mma is remarkably dangerous and the life of a professional fighter is an extremely unhealthy lifestyle choice (as is the choice of being a pro in the nfl) -

and yes, Tom Brady would be suspended indefinitely if he took a
concussion-producing blow on the field - he'd be suspended until he stopped showing any signs of said concussion - it's happened to star players at least a dozen times that i can think of - usually it's only for a game or 2 but the difference with the nfl is you get suspended until you're symptom free - there are players who've missed multiple weeks and even whole seasons as a result, who's careers are now in jeopardy (in the nfl, W. Silva would no longer be allowed on the field) and not just 60 days

listening to dana white, the biggest bullshi*t artist since P.T. Barnum, laud the safety of fighting in a cage and believing him is as stupid as listening to the CEO of Phillip Morris state, in the 1980's, that there is no real proof that cigarettes cause cancer

Helmet to helmet hits are not illegal.

Tell that to the running backs getting blown up by helmet to helmet hits, or the defenders they run over.

Boxercising can give you brain damage. That's the real issue here.

Tell that to the running backs getting blown up by helmet to helmet hits, or the defenders they run over.

Helmet to helmet hits are illegal in the NFL, that doesn't mean they don't happen or that they are always called. Defensive players aren't nearly as protected as offensive players (especially QBs and WRs), but you are wrong when you say helmet to helmet hits aren't illegal according to the rules.

So he actually has no scientific evidence to back up this fact?

Also, the NFL has spent tens of millions on concussion research for its players. The UFC has done what?

lol. safest sport in the world!

Safest sport in the world I don't know about that.

I don't need scientific research to know that recieving a concussion and still continuing to bash your head into someone else is more dangerous then recieving a concussion and having three months off.

I don't think TS understands how quotations work.

Back