Dana White on BJ Penn - "He Wanted to Fight Randy Couture"

Hmmm..Jus´curious...how many dudes got better boxing in the current LW div?
Well not many actually, but I meant mma as a whole not just 155. In BJs prime there weren't many guys with great boxing, but now there are many more. His boxing would still be pretty good today, just mean many more as good or better.

Mm wouldn’t fight tj, in his own damn weight class

Bj fought machida, wanted to fight Handy and would have probubaly fought Lesnar if they offered it to him.

This is what’s wrong with MMA today.

Mm wouldn’t fight tj, in his own damn weight class

Bj fought machida, wanted to fight Handy and would have probubaly fought Lesnar if they offered it to him.

This is what’s wrong with MMA today.

If you think he could be competitive with Randy, you are a fool. Randy is a terrible match up. Remember how GSP tired Penn out the second fight? He pushed him against the cage and forced Penn's shoulders to burn out. After the first round, Penn couldn't keep his hands up and his punches had no snap on them anymore. Randy's game was forcing fighters to the cage. Penn would be gassed against Randy after a round, who is like 50LBs bigger then GSP
Would that be "greased Randy" or a clean Randy? St. Pierre was afraid to set foot in the ring with the much smaller fighter without his vaseline protecting him from Penn's Jiu Jitsu. That second GSP / Penn fight should have been a DQ by all accounts. The commission screwed up and admitted as much when they caught GSP greasing during the fight. Per the rules, which the new commission didn't know very well, the fight should have been stopped and Penn should have won via DQ. They fought about it for a year in court and couldn't come up with a clear decision other than "GSP didn't cheat on purpose but his team may have."

i miss bj. wish he would have retired after nick beat him. with his record now all the newbies dont give him the respect he deserves

It's bittersweet because fighting those giants had to have shortened his prime, but goddamn bj was a rare breed. When I started watching mma and heard he'd fought machida at one point, I could not believe it until I found it and watched it. It was a close fight too. So crazy.

Reporter asks Dana if he used to have a problem with guys challenging fighters in other weight classes and uses BJ Penn as an example.

"Let's put this in perspective, BJ Penn was 155 pounds and that's before we had lighter divisions and he wanted to fight at heavyweight"

Timestamped

"When you talk about a real fighter, BJ Penn is old school from the old mold and BJ literally wanted to fight everybody that was out there. And I respect that, but there are limits'

Crazy to think a LW like BJ would want to fight Randy Couture.

They don't make em like they used to.

coutre is a small hw.

I really wish BJ stayed with 155 and higher weight class marquee fights. The 145 fights were horrible

Let's not forget, he asked Dana to fight Khabib for the belt on 1 day notice

Back