Dana White on BJ Penn - "He Wanted to Fight Randy Couture"

Penn had more balls then anyone, but he didn't have the heart to match. When things didn't go his way he would mail it in
Things were not going his way, technically, in Rd 2 vs Gomi.

If anyone thinks Penn couldn't be competitive with Couture then you are a fool.

If you think he could be competitive with Randy, you are a fool. Randy is a terrible match up. Remember how GSP tired Penn out the second fight? He pushed him against the cage and forced Penn's shoulders to burn out. After the first round, Penn couldn't keep his hands up and his punches had no snap on them anymore. Randy's game was forcing fighters to the cage. Penn would be gassed against Randy after a round, who is like 50LBs bigger then GSP

Didn't commentators mention BJ trained/rolled w/Couture, so maybe BJ got a bit confident he could beat Randy.

This may sound crazy, but I think he would have given Randy a pretty good fight.

It’s possible during that time period, because fighters were still adjusting to find a universal way of training that covered all the bases. If you go back early enough, BJ would’ve probably won all the beginning UFC’s. Nowadays, it would be almost impossible to do.

Randy likely would’ve won a decision like Machida did, but it may not have been a complete slaughter. If it was the more experienced Randy that defeated Liddell and Rizzo, BJ may get stopped if he’s not fighting extremely defensive.

Reporter asks Dana if he used to have a problem with guys challenging fighters in other weight classes and uses BJ Penn as an example.

"Let's put this in perspective, BJ Penn was 155 pounds and that's before we had lighter divisions and he wanted to fight at heavyweight"

Timestamped

"When you talk about a real fighter, BJ Penn is old school from the old mold and BJ literally wanted to fight everybody that was out there. And I respect that, but there are limits'

Crazy to think a LW like BJ would want to fight Randy Couture.

They don't make em like they used to.

Well, Peen DID fight Lyoto machita to a Decision loss in 2005. It was not out of the ordinary for Penn to be fighting bigger guys.

Didn't he win that round pretty easy?
he lost it clearly imo

IIRC, I had BJ winning the 1st Rd vs Gomi, then realistically losing the 2nd Rd & the momentum (with Gomi stuffind TDs and connecting with jabz).. Then BJ took him down pretty quickly in the 3rd and got the RNC

he lost it clearly imo

IIRC, I had BJ winning the 1st Rd vs Gomi, then realistically losing the 2nd Rd & the momentum (with Gomi stuffind TDs and connecting with jabz).. Then BJ took him down pretty quickly in the 3rd and got the RNC

Eh.. it was kinda close i guess. But Penn dropped and hurt Gomi and definitely out struck him. Gomi didn't do much with top control. Its definitely not a fight anyone would bring up to show how Penn can over come adversity

My most anticipated fight ever was GSP vs BJ part 2. Was a huge fan of both guys at the time couldn't pick a winner

Eh.. it was kinda close i guess. But Penn dropped and hurt Gomi and definitely out struck him. Gomi didn't do much with top control. Its definitely not a fight anyone would bring up to show how Penn can over come adversity
the way I see it, BJ was fading in Rd 2, TDs stuffed, slightly gassin´, Gomi connecting...

The thing about BJ was that he was probably one of the most talented guys ever in MMA. He had really good boxing. Not compared to modern MMA, but for his era it was top notch. Plus he was a BJJ prodigy (thus his nickname) and had great takedown defense. He was so much better than most of the guys in his era that he didn't have to work too hard. But, when the talent gap started to close, he lacked the work ethic to keep up. And, unfortunately he was no longer able to get by on just talent alone. Still one of my favorite fighters ever and an all time great.

Not one of my favorites, but God bless that man's fighting spirit.

BJ is probably my 1a/b favorite fighter, but he did a lot of stupid shit. Part of his charm, of course.

The thing about BJ was that he was probably one of the most talented guys ever in MMA. He had really good boxing. Not compared to modern MMA, but for his era it was top notch. Plus he was a BJJ prodigy (thus his nickname) and had great takedown defense. He was so much better than most of the guys in his era that he didn't have to work too hard. But, when the talent gap started to close, he lacked the work ethic to keep up. And, unfortunately he was no longer able to get by on just talent alone. Still one of my favorite fighters ever and an all time great.
Hmmm..Jus´curious...how many dudes got better boxing in the current LW div?

Would have been a good fight imo. Couture said BJ was extremely difficult to take down, and we know how good he was on the ground. His boxing would have kept him in the fight standing, too.
Randy would have jammed him on the fence and wore him out with dirty boxing and clinch work within a rnd and then proceed to beat the piss out of him

He would have gotten steamrolled by I believe that he wanted to.

in Hawaii, there's a fair amount of stories about BJ street fighting. a lot of the stories are told because the guys he knocked out on the streets are big like Ngannou.

in Hawaii, they're a different kind of breed. Max Holloway and BJ Penn aren't that unique when comes to their mentality. in Hawaii, that's what they take pride in, being good at fighting.

and they don't care how big you are.

Randy would have jammed him on the fence and wore him out with dirty boxing and clinch work within a rnd and then proceed to beat the piss out of him
tbh, wouldnt it be lame for a LHW to rely on the fence to beat a LW?

If you think he could be competitive with Randy, you are a fool. Randy is a terrible match up. Remember how GSP tired Penn out the second fight? He pushed him against the cage and forced Penn's shoulders to burn out. After the first round, Penn couldn't keep his hands up and his punches had no snap on them anymore. Randy's game was forcing fighters to the cage. Penn would be gassed against Randy after a round, who is like 50LBs bigger then GSP

No shit Randy's use of cage tactics would be the reason why Randy would be favorite to win but if you think Randy would have just ran him over you are a doofus.

Back