Dana White: Makhachev Has Potential to Go on Record-Breaking Title Defense Run

Will Islam be 155 GOAT?

• Total voters
Who’s next for Islam? O’Malley? Sterling? Cejedo? Halloway?

People just seem to naturally hate on the dagestanis. Maybe it’s the casuals because khabib embarrassed Conor who they loved.

It was a pretty fair and obvious truth that Islam had an extremely light strength of schedule up until the last two years. I couldn't give a fart in the wind about Conor and my post history will show I think he's annoying and historically over-ranked.

Islam was criticized for having a big legend without the fights to back it. Now he's fought two of the best MMA fighters in the world in Do Bronx and Volk, and we know he's one of the greats.

You have to rate these guys on what they've actually accomplished not for their potential.

Don't worry guys he will try to fight at WW before getting 4 defenses.

I think Islam will set a new record for LW title defenses. He needs two more wins and if those are both Oliveira and Gaethje, its def. possible in terms of styles. With that he will def. be in the conversation of greatest LW of all time.

I still have Khabib ahead in terms of performances and dominance, but if Islam is right there.

LW GOAT he can achieve. Even thought Khabib will always cast a shadow.
Don't think he'll ever be all time GOAT. To reach those 7+ defenses looks real hard nowadays with fighters getting like 1 fight a year.

And Islam is already 32.

Serious?

He arguably lost the belt to Volk in Australia.

Then he beat Volk who took the fight on 10 days notice. How does that say anything?

Fight Poirier, fight Gaethje, Fight Chandler, rematch Charles... if you beat them all, then go up and claim the WW belt like BJ Penn did.

Then we can call you 155 GOAT
<WhatIsThis>

Islam leaving with the belt isn't a matter of opinion, it's a factually false statement you're trying to "argue".

BJ Penn also didn't defend a bunch of times then move up and win the WW title, he had 2 failed attempts at the LW title and WW was the only one he'd won at the time and went back down 3 1/2 years later after back to back losses.

Lol at "fight guys on losing streaks and guys with multiple failed title shots before he can move up, then maybe I'll give him credit if he doubles the next highest number of defenses then moves up and wins the WW belt too.".

I mean yeah when the record is 3 its more than just potential it's probable.

All over
Obviously if he runs through the guys you listed he is 100% the LW goat

Okay....let me see the numbers here.

18-1 in UFC, 17 fight win streak and 6 title defenses. Without question greatest LW.

Overall?? I would have him in the top 15, but not top 6. I think that's pretty secure for Jones, GSP, Anderson, Fedor, Aldo, DJ.

It's sort of hard to gauge considering we don't know what the other fighters will do. Like if Volkanowski continues to win at FW and rack up defenses at the same rate, Volk would have 9 defenses. Or if say Usman wins his WW title back and defends more times. You could have Leon Edwards go on a hot streak defending to match Islam and that would be pretty even.

Last edited:
I think he'll beat the record for defenses.

I also think LW is not nearly the division it was hyped to be. We are lacking top tier wrestling savvy grapplers in the top 5. It's very striking-heavy, and guys like Poirier, Justin, and Charles have a ton of mileage on them. Gamrot, Fiziev, Tsukuryan have all lost to veterans, and Dariush looked terrible against Charles and is already in his mid thirties.

There is a lack of interesting contenders.

I dont see Justin or Charles giving Islam any problems. Armen is looking very good lately, and Gamrot could be interesting as well. I think those two are probably the most sound challenge right now. But I think Islam will break the record regardless. He is on a different level than the competition.

who cares how guys do when moving down? Islam isn't moving down so it doesn't matter in this context. guys moving up have done very well? DC got KO'd and lost a best out of 3 vs Stipe. BJ got beat by GSP, Conor has 1 win at 155lbs and it's Eddie Alvarez. Cejudo also just lost to Sterling who got destroyed by O'Malley. just because you get gifted a title shot and end up winning doesn't mean they do well. you didn't even name Robert Whittaker and he's a much better example of what you're arguing. but who even cares about all of that, you know what i mean. i'm not dogging Islam, but his title defenses have been against 1 guy who is a FW. those are facts. you want to be a GOAT? then start beating some LWs...
Learn to read maybe? I did include Whittaker, and what kind of clown thinks it's not doing well if you win a title but eventually lose later

Oh, well Cejudo lost a split decision coming out of retirement after 3 years, so he's obviously a bum. Incredible this needs to be said, but just because you didn't beat guys who are better than you in every area doesn't mean you're undersized or performed worse.

Gamrot is not that good, he has to be the luckiest fighter ever. Robbed Tsarukyan, struggled mightly against Turner, Fiziev got Injured against him...

Volk in short notice >>> Gamrot.
even if gamrot sucks, should have been him. on paper short notice fight, trained, in the division > any short notice fight ever

Learn to read maybe? I did include Whittaker, and what kind of clown thinks it's not doing well if you win a title but eventually lose later

Oh, well Cejudo lost a split decision coming out of retirement after 3 years, so he's obviously a bum. Incredible this needs to be said, but just because you didn't beat guys who are better than you in every area doesn't mean you're undersized or performed worse.

because you think winning a title means more than their actual record at that weight. you mention Conor, what kind of clown mentions that guy when talking about successful weight jumps? don't be mad because not everyone wants to crown someone the King of his weight class when he hasn't defended his title vs anyone in his weight class. it's as simple as that.

because you think winning a title means more than their actual record at that weight. you mention Conor, what kind of clown mentions that guy when talking about successful weight jumps? don't be mad because not everyone wants to crown someone the King of his weight class when he hasn't defended his title vs anyone in his weight class. it's as simple as that.
Yeah, anybody can move up and win a title. Well anybody except Volk apparently. Champion means nothing if you eventually lose later.

<Grimes01>

Back