• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Dana White Hints That Carla's Not Getting A Title Shot

Yeah, Carla is like a negative draw that could definitely win that fight so of course Dana isn’t into that idea. They’ll give it to Marina Rodriguez, who Esparza beat, because her style is more fan friendly and she’s more marketable.

I think Dana is revealing his fears that he thinks Carla would beat Rose and he doesn't want Carla to be champ again. If he was confident in his champ (Rose), this could be a great showcase fight: "Rose avenges her last unavenged loss, against a former champ, etc." But Dana refusing/hesitating to set this fight up says a lot.

Jarl

There's history and Marina is the only other one I see being close and Carla beat her and ranked 2 so that makes it even more clear. I wouldn't be surprised if they do Weili vs Joanna for the next title shot. Dana tends to have a vendetta against Rose for whatever reason and since Weili and Joanna can hang with her he will have them fight her till she loses then not give her a rematch.

I think he's shitty that she utterly derailed Chinese SW Plan B

But really, who's next in line? Since she lost to Esparza, Rodriguez would need another win. Joanna would need a win too, and Dana doesn't seem too excited about her fighting again anyway (which is another example of him being a mediocre president at best). Weili needs two more as long as Rose has the belt.

The UFC can't be a legitimate sports league if there isn't a large degree of objectivity when it comes to determining title shots, and unfortunately, it's still Dana White's personal clown party in this area two decades later.

Which match up would make absolutely no sense whatsoever?

Wait, it's coming to me...

I GOT IT!!

It will be Rose vs Joanna III for absolutely no reason other than Joanna is (quote unquote) 'a draw'.

I think Dana is revealing his fears that he thinks Carla would beat Rose and he doesn't want Carla to be champ again. If he was confident in his champ (Rose), this could be a great showcase fight: "Rose avenges her last unavenged loss, against a former champ, etc." But Dana refusing/hesitating to set this fight up says a lot.

Jarl

Yeah. Dana simultaneously being both a coward and a hypocrite. Must be a day of the week ending in "Y."

Maybe the matchmakers are unhappy Carla agreed to fight Amanda Ribas in July 2020 before pulling out (for no reason) 4 months later?

She then finally takes a fight against Yan in May 2021 (after sitting out 10 months), wins, and declares herself the number one contender?

Nah I don't think so. I hope Marina is rewarded with a title shot considering all she has done for the division/UFC. No one wanted to fight Mackenzie Dern and Marina agreed too.

Maybe Carla should fight Amanda Ribas, who she pulled out of fighting, and prove she is not just looking for favorable matchups and is truly deserving of a title shot?

Esparza is an unremarkable decision journeywoman. What's with the title shot demands?

he might want to do the trilogy, the would prob make more money than the other options

Maybe the matchmakers are unhappy Carla agreed to fight Amanda Ribas in July 2020 before pulling out (for no reason) 4 months later?

She then finally takes a fight against Yan in May 2021 (after sitting out 10 months), wins, and declares herself the number one contender?

Nah I don't think so. I hope Marina is rewarded with a title shot considering all she has done for the division/UFC. No one wanted to fight Mackenzie Dern and Marina agreed too.

Maybe Carla should fight Amanda Ribas, who she pulled out of fighting, and prove she is not just looking for favorable matchups and is truly deserving of a title shot?

I know you're mentally ill or a troll (or, more likely, a mentally ill troll) so this point isn't so much for you (as it's already been explained to you in the past) as for the general record, but it was the UFC themselves who withdrew Carla from the Ribas fight, so they use her as Rose Bait by saying she was getting the title shot vs Weili.

That got a reaction out of Bat Parry and hey presto, Rose signed to fight Weili not long after. Meanwhile the UFC had already found a new opponent for Ribas, on the main card of a Conor PPV event (which you thought was 'burying' her, further evidence that you are mentally ill or a troll, or a mentally ill troll).

So, Carla, who was already in title contention, did what the UFC asked and accepted a bout with Ribas - a tough matchup against a fighter ranked considerably below her, (& who was clearly intended to be fast-tracked over her); then when the UFC told her to stop training for that and wait around while they used her as a bluff to get Rose to sign vs Weili, she did that; then when Rose did sign, they made her fight another top 5 (Xiaonan Yan), which she did, finishing her; then they gave the title shot to Weili as a rematch; and now they say they're not going to give her the title fight at all; all this she's sat through without complaint, doing everything asked of her for years and working her way through more (and tougher) contenders than Weili or Rose ever had to to get to their lofty perches...

Current WSW UFC ranking:

Champion Rose Namajunas
#1 Zhang Weili = 2 losses
#2 Carla Esparza = 5 fight winning streak, has a win over Rose
#3 Marina Rodriguez = 3 fight winning streak, her last loss was to Esparza
#4 Yan Xiaonan = coming off a loss to Esparza
#5 Mackenzie Dern = coming off a loss

All roads lead to Esparza! she has earned her title shot.

Jarl

Which just goes to show how dumb Dana is. Let's say Carla beats Rose, and you don't want her as the champ because...reasons. Well that's pretty easy to fix, throw a fat contract at Joanna and let her obliterate Carla again, and you also get the division's most popular fighter back & active as the champ. Everybody wins.

Last edited:
Does this mean we might see another rematch of some sort?!?!?! I love those so much!

Uh Oh, anyone looking forward to the Zhang versus Rose threepeat...?
<{you!}>
WME UFC has a history of the most mind bogglingly stupid TS matchups

Dana said it wont be Zhang.

If its not Carla it probably means they are gonna do Rose vs Valentina.

Not clear on the rankings but I imagine he wants to find some ridiculous way to shoehorn Dern into a title shot
LAST person who deserves a title shot is M.Dern.

Rather see Esparza in there 5 times in a row than one-trick-pony beach-addict M.Dern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back