Dana: Melendez's win was a huge step back for TJ Grant

markg171

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
The promotion doesn't know when Grant will return to the Octagon, and after Saturday's UFC 166 card, UFC president Dana White said that when Grant does come back he might not be fighting for the title:

"T.J. Grant's in one of those unfortunate situations where he's had a title shot, and he had to pull out twice, so he might have to come back and fight another fight, we have to keep this thing rolling. It's (Melendez's win) a huge step back for T.J. Grant"

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/20/4858138/ufc-166-results-gilbert-melendez-dana-white-step-back-tj-grant-title-shot?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Pettis is gonna wreck Melendez ,He can't eat too many of Pettis body kicks.

wait what?

That doesn't make much sense at all.

They're just trying to justify giving Gil another shot and not giving Grant his.

Gil's popular, Grant isn't. Makes sense to try and justify making Gil the #1 contender

It's a fighting organization......why don't they just fight each other?

Fair enough I guess, Gil v Grant for it then ?

mayb TG Grant should fucking make a twitter post or anything because i still dont know whta the fuck he looks or sounds like. he doesnt deserve a title shot for beating a guy with ring rust in maynard.

While I'd prefer Grant to have more exposure and fight on another main card before being thrown into a main event, Melendez getting the next shot doesn't exactly make sense. He definitely won last night, but it was a 29-28 over an unranked opponent.

Not bullshit. If Grant wants the shot, he should fight Melendez.

I'm usually not one to skip over guys for title shots... but Pettis/Gil is a must make matchup.

mayb TG Grant should fucking make a twitter post or anything because i still dont know whta the fuck he looks or sounds like. he doesnt deserve a title shot for beating a guy with ring rust in maynard.

This is my point. Grant's had one fight that wasn't a prelim. The win over Maynard was good but he's had hardly exposure. Many people don't know who he is yet. It would be a huge mistake headlining a card with him. Though to be fair the same can be said for Kennedy vs Natal.

Dana - "Just bleed and stay healthy or no title shot. This is a business, err sport we're trying to run here."

We all wanna see Pettis fight don't we??

so keep the ball rolling

I thought Melendez beat bendo and not giving him a rematch was total BS. He deserves the next title shot. If i was making the decisions I would make tj grant vs Nate Diaz in Montreal or Halifax and if grant wins that then he fights the Melendez pettis winner

Dana - "Just bleed and stay healthy or no title shot. This is a business, err sport we're trying to run here."

Dana has never denied that this is a business. And booking TJ Grant to headline a card right now spits in the face of Business 101.

Back