Dana: Melendez's win was a huge step back for TJ Grant

I dont know about that......I dont think Gil should get any type of shot now, he lost to Bendo and just beating Diego, who really hasnt done much at LW recently. I think Grant is still ahead. Or they could do Gil vs Grant for the #1 contender, that makes more sense.

Anybody know what Grants condition is? Is he close to being cleared now? How long can a concussion keep you out for?

Melendez vs Grant

for LW division i don't mind contender murder each other, because there is so much of them easily replace

Are you referencing "twitt" followers, or something? Like those twits are translating into PPV dollars?
TJ Grant fighting for a Title, with Canadians fans only on a PPV, would morph Melendez tepid following. Where was all this popularity for his PPV Title Fight?
Canadians and adults translate into PPV dollars, not "twitts".
Maybe "moron" was a little harsh. "twitt" follower would be more appropriate.

I'm a fucking Canadian and I still could care less about Grant. All my friends who are into MMA, don't know who Grant is or care. They all know who Melendez is though, especially after his last fight

He's deserving of a title shot, but he's not popular at. Hell I'd probably say he's even less popular in Canada than the US. In the US he's had some exposure, but in Canada if you're not from Cole Harbour you don't give a shit about Grant.

Only Canadian fighters up here that people actually care about are GSP, Cote and Hominick.

No one in Canada would buy a Grant PPV because he's Canadian, unless you're from his home town. Sherdog has this dumb fucking idea where they think every Canadian loves every Canadian fighter cause they're from Canada

So now that we've established that the US doesn't care, Canada doesn't care, AND he has less Twitter followers than Melendez, what possible fucking standard are you using to say Grant is more popular than Melendez? Like holy fuck, what a dumb statement

im glad dana said this.

if hendo was still the champ, gil would be in some sort of limbo fighting contenders, luckily pettis is the champ now and hes in the mix again

unfortunate for grant

I'm a fucking Canadian and I still could care less about Grant. All my friends who are into MMA, don't know who Grant is or care. They all know who Melendez is though, especially after his last fight

He's deserving of a title shot, but he's not popular at. Hell I'd probably say he's even less popular in Canada than the US. In the US he's had some exposure, but in Canada if you're not from Cole Harbour you don't give a shit about Grant.

Only Canadian fighters up here that people actually care about are GSP, Cote and Hominick.

No one in Canada would buy a Grant PPV because he's Canadian, unless you're from his home town. Sherdog has this dumb fucking idea where they think every Canadian loves every Canadian fighter cause they're from Canada

So now that we've established that the US doesn't care, Canada doesn't care, AND he has less Twitter followers than Melendez, what possible fucking standard are you using to say Grant is more popular than Melendez? Like holy fuck, what a dumb statement

So none of your friends knew who the #1 contender from their own country was? I can't speak though as I know who is is because I too live on the east coast (different province though). I just don't buy your 180 argument that noone knows who he is. I would say he has quite a few fans, but Melendez def has more, or is more well known. This may not lead into bigger PPV numbers, but it really depends on where the PPV would be held, etc. My two cents anyways.

So none of your friends knew who the #1 contender from their own country was? I can't speak though as I know who is is because I too live on the east coast (different province though). I just don't buy your 180 argument that noone knows who he is. I would say he has quite a few fans, but Melendez def has more, or is more well known. This may not lead into bigger PPV numbers, but it really depends on where the PPV would be held, etc. My two cents anyways.

I'm sure if I showed them the Maynard fight they'd probably recognize him, but that's about it and even that's not a guarantee. Especially not with this layoff as no one will remember that.

Also, it was kind of a weird #1 contender fight. Gray was known, but Grant wasn't. It was basically a case where if Gray won, you didn't need to really justify anything for a title shot, simply that he'd won would do. But Grant's whole argument hinged on an impressive win as he needed to make a name for himself off Maynard. My friends could have definitely told you who Gray and most of the top 10 was, but definitely not Grant (was he even ranked yet?) and that needed to change

He's only had 1 fight that's gotten exposure and that was the Maynard fight. You can be the #1 contender, but if you're on the prelims all the time people won't know you.

Why the hell is this confusing? Set up a #1 contender match between Melendez and Grant and make it a headliner on a fight night card. It gives Grant greater exposure and allows fans a greater opportunity to actually give a damn about him. I agree that the UFC did little to promote him. Seeing as how his victory over Maynard was the 2nd match on the main card of UFC 160, there was little reason for fans to know or care about him. He is capable of some fun fights as his war with Evan Dunham showed, so his style is overall very fan friendly. I do believe his resume warranted a title shot as his victory over Maynard was legit, but I have to agree that if he has been on the shelf for a while he needs to prove himself once again. Melendez is well known enough and also worthy of the bout. There should be no debate as to what to do here.

you sure talk like you know a lot about Canadian tastes .... GSP, Cote and Hominick are the only fighters people care about? WTF? What a load of crap ... its quite obvious you speak only for yourself, so stop making idiotic grandiose statements.
Most Canadians haven't heard of either Grant or Melendez, but I guarantee you that if a Canadian is in a title fight for a UFC championship belt the casual and knowledgeable MMA fan in the bar, or ordering PPV with their buddies is going to pay more attention because a TJ Grant/Canadian is fighting.

What are you, 15 years old? I guess "moron" nailed you properly after all.
Canadians and Adults who follow the UFC will be buying a TJ Grant Title Fight.
Again, you and your fellow "twitts" can't afford the bubble gum you chew, much less a PPV.

Why the hell is this confusing? Set up a #1 contender match between Melendez and Grant and make it a headliner on a fight night card. It gives Grant greater exposure and allows fans a greater opportunity to actually give a damn about him. I agree that the UFC did little to promote him. Seeing as how his victory over Maynard was the 2nd match on the main card of UFC 160, there was little reason for fans to know or care about him. He is capable of some fun fights as his war with Evan Dunham showed, so his style is overall very fan friendly. I do believe his resume warranted a title shot as his victory over Maynard was legit, but I have to agree that if he has been on the shelf for a while he needs to prove himself once again. Melendez is well known enough and also worthy of the bout. There should be no debate as to what to do here.
It appears that TJ will certainly need to fight again before a Title Fight. I am perfectly fine with a Grant/Melendez fight.
However, Gilbert proved nothing close to earning a Title Fight after a top twenty Diego win, in jeopardy at that, or his lackluster sparring session when he did have an opportunity against Ben Henderson.

Back