Dana: Melendez's win was a huge step back for TJ Grant

Lol Grant took the payoff and now he can't complain publicly so theyre shafting him. Allegedly.

Just let them fight each other Melendez vs Grant for the next title shot (assuming Aldo doesn't move up)

Dana has never denied that this is a business. And booking TJ Grant to headline a card right now spits in the face of Business 101.

Booking Melendez to fight for the title coming off a win over unranked Diego spits in the face of the sport.

Did anyone actually believe Grant ever legitimatley had a "shot" for the title in the UFC? C'mon guys, we all knee better. We all knew that was only a number 1 contender fight IF Gray won. We all knew when Bendo was placed as the headliner at a card in MILWAUKEE, WI that Pettis would somehow become the person he was fighting.

I don't agree with it, but we all knew it was coming.

For everyone saying make Grant VS Melendez,

the timing doesn't work.

I'd rather see Melendez get the shot anyways.

no one's 'earned' a title shot. gil looked good and put on an exciting fight against a perennial top guy in diego and now dana likes that more than some guy no one can remember (tj grant). dana wants to make money off the fight IMO. gil's more exciting now.

Gilbert Melendez is one of the greatest fighters in the history of the sport.

TJ Grant is some guy who knocked out Gray Maynard.

Sorry, TJ Grant. Get to the back of the line.

lol, Melendez is not on anyone other than your list of all time greats. and gil just beat an unranked guy after losing his title shot. TJ is on a serious streak and KO'd a perennial top 5er.

How is this hard to understand? How long ago did TJ Grant become #1 contender? You can't keep the #1 contender spot as other guys win and you stay inactive. It's not like anybody would rank Grant over Melendez, and he'd be a pretty big underdog to Gil.

Booking Melendez to fight for the title coming off a win over unranked Diego spits in the face of the sport.

I never argued this. In fact I said in my first post that Melendez getting the next shot after a 29-28 win over an unranked opponent makes no sense.

I never argued this. In fact I said in my first post that Melendez getting the next shot after a 29-28 win over an unranked opponent makes no sense.

It was a clear cut victory for Melendez. Did anyone really think Diego had won when they were about to announce the scores? I don't really care that it ended up 29-28, as I knew Melendez had clearly won the fight. Couple that with a title shot which many people believe he won in his previous fight and his excellent pedigree before joining the UFC, and I think it's easy to spin him getting another shot.

They're just trying to justify giving Gil another shot and not giving Grant his.

Gil's popular, Grant isn't. Makes sense to try and justify making Gil the #1 contender

Gil arguably beat Henderson in their fight(though he also arguably lost to Thompson before that).
He deserves the shot, TJ does too but he pulled out twice already.
I'd say give Melendez the shot and make Khabib-TJ for #1 contender

... who is tj grant.

anyway Everyone wants to see Gil vs Pettis. Should just book it.

you see what happens last night when you finally put together some great matchups you *gasp* magically get a great event.

huge gil fan, but this is the usual dana bullshit... sad for tj

Back