Television Dads in cartoons are idiots

I didn't think this was cartoons, this seems to be TV shows in general.

Dads are all one IQ point above special needs, fat, or beta-cuckish, inexplicably married to hot, genius-level intellect, witty, perfect, Mary-Sue, wives. I guess Bill Cosby is the best TV dad you can look up to as he is none of the above.
15454109343357.jpg

It's not just cartoons. Look at almost every sitcom made.

Dad = overweight, dumb, loud, obnoxious, clueless to his wife's needs.......but has that loveable quality that he doesn't something simple and nice to redeem himself.
Mom = better looking than the dad, smart, runs the entire household......usually a bit crabby but loves the lovable goof that the man is.

1 kid = lovable moron who everyone cheers for when he graduates high school with a D-
1 kid = smart, straight kid who's good at everything but kind of boring but trustworthy
1 kid = totally smartass, naughty, always up to shenanigans but deep down just his way to show his love towards his family
Optional 4th kid = a baby or kid under 3 for the "awwwww so cute" factor.

I didn't think this was cartoons, this seems to be TV shows in general.

Dads are all one IQ point above special needs, fat, or beta-cuckish, inexplicably married to hot, genius-level intellect, witty, perfect, Mary-Sue, wives. I guess Bill Cosby is the best TV dad you can look up to as he is none of the above.
15454109343357.jpg
Red foreman, uncle phil, Hank Hill.

In my country, it's not just cartoons and sitcoms, but even commercials: the dad figure is always a fumbling buffoon interested only in beer, food and sports on tv and his family is always laughing at him.

Cobra Kai, though, is a good example of a show that is very much about sons seeking fathers and fathers seeking sons. Even the original karate kid movies had that theme with Daniel having no dad and Myagi having lost his son and wife in childbirth. Johnny repeats a similar story with Miguel. Never thought about it when I was a kid, but as a father it resonates with me.

It's easy to forget because of Homer but he's not even the dumbest dad in the cartoon. That has to go to Chief Wiggum
They all suck, even Flanders.
Maybe especially Flanders.

Disney movie dads too. They're usually bumbling idiots. And when the dad is strong, they kill him or emasculate him.
Well spotted, Disney killing dads since forever.

Cinderella's dad - DEAD
Snow White’s dad - DEAD
Tarzan's dad - DEAD
Lilo's dad - DEAD
Elsa's dad - DEAD
Kida's dad - DEAD
Arthur’s dad - DEAD
Linguini's dad - DEAD
Bambi's dad - DEAD?
Quasimodo’s dad - DEAD?
Simba's dad - DEAD
Tiana’s dad - DEAD
Shang’s dad - DEAD

WILL YOU EVER STOP THE DAD GENOCIDE, DISNEY???

Think about how dumb cartoons would be if the parents knew everything that was happening. the show would be 2 minutes long.

The kids would get caught right off the bat and the episode would be over. How lame
Why can't we have parents going on adventures WITH the kids?

Best and worst anime dad at same time LOL
latest

Jimmy's dad from Jimmy neutron boy genius. He's borderline retarded

The big issue really though is that sitcoms tend to be "about" the dad, hence him having a more flawed (but likeble) character with room to poke fun at him and show growth tends to be standard.

Back