Economy D.C. mother given $10,800 to help poor families, spends it on Miami trip and buys expensive clothes

Republicans are back to the Reagan-era "welfare queen" racial agitation. Shocking I tell you. When you don't have a single policy to offer the American people that would actually improve their lives, you maintain the revolving ferris wheel of minority groups to hate.

I've seen tons of farmers posting memes of this lady, but of course, they're not doing the same thing.

Why are you talking about 10k. What about bilions being used and spent ?

This selfless woman blew the $10k getting her nails did and going clubbing in Miami in order to teach her kids the value of hard work.

Miller justified the extravagance by saying she hoped to inspire her children and teach them that if they work hard they too may be able to afford a Miami mansion.

<Oku02>

There's always going to be some cases of people abusing the system or wasting resources of a well meaning program. Does not mean the program is a bad idea, because what matters is if most of the beneficiaries are using the funds for what it was intended for.

There are people abusing the welfare system, but most people are helped by it and need it.

There is a lot of waste in US military spending yet no one argues that funding for the miliary is a bad idea.
Of course they do. People complain about the damn pentagon wasting and losing money all the time.

What are the numbers on most of the beneficiaries spending it wisely? It looked like the link just 2 cases, 1 who did and 1 who didn't.

It doesn't seem like a very wild guess to say that the people who got the 12 monthly payments probably spent the money a lot more wisely than the ones who got a lump sum. What kind of silly asshole even suggested giving broke uneducated single moms the option of a lump sum? They couldn't figure out beforehand that a lot more of a lump sum is going to frivolous purchases than splitting it up into monthly payments?

Republicans are back to the Reagan-era "welfare queen" racial agitation. Shocking I tell you. When you don't have a single policy to offer the American people that would actually improve their lives, you maintain the revolving ferris wheel of minority groups to hate.

Making it a race issue is a tired deflection. She's being highlighted for being selfish and stupid with money that could have been used to elevate her and her family's life in more ways than just a trip to Miami.

Here's what I don't understand. The article clearly says that most of the people involved spent the money on paying down debt and being responsible.

But we're going to devote more time discussing the negative outlier instead of the majority positive performers because the good got a tiny throw away line in the article. And in 6 months when something like this is proposed again, people are only going to remember the bad actor at the expense of the good.
This is a fair response to the OP.

Question: How do you propose we deal with bad actors like this or prevent it from happening In the first place?

This selfless woman blew the $10k getting her nails did and going clubbing in Miami in order to teach her kids the value of hard work.

Miller justified the extravagance by saying she hoped to inspire her children and teach them that if they work hard they too may be able to afford a Miami mansion.

<Oku02>

Of course they do. People complain about the damn pentagon wasting and losing money all the time.

What are the numbers on most of the beneficiaries spending it wisely? It looked like the link just 2 cases, 1 who did and 1 who didn't.

It doesn't seem like a very wild guess to say that the people who got the 12 monthly payments probably spent the money a lot more wisely than the ones who got a lump sum. What kind of silly asshole even suggested giving broke uneducated single moms the option of a lump sum? They couldn't figure out beforehand that a lot more of a lump sum is going to frivolous purchases than splitting it up into monthly payments?
I never said people do not complain about military industrial complex spending.

I said people do not say we should cancel all military spending just because there is a lot of waste in military spending.

I never said people do not complain about military industrial complex spending.

I said people do not say we should cancel all military spending just because there is a lot of waste in military spending.

The repercussions of cancelling a program like this and "cancelling all military spending" are a wee bit different would be a pretty significant reason as to why, right? Cancelling all military spending would plunge the entire world into utter chaos and have catastrophic effects on most of the global population. People can hate the waste in military spending, hate US foreign policy, hate most things in general about the military. But even the most ardent among them (if they're being honest) understand that if the US military ceased to exist the world would be seriously fucked. At least for awhile.

I'm not even advocating that we don't have programs to help people that are struggling. But the comparison doesn't work.

The repercussions of cancelling a program like this and "cancelling all military spending" are a wee bit different would be a pretty significant reason as to why, right? Cancelling all military spending would plunge the entire world into utter chaos and have catastrophic effects on most of the global population. People can hate the waste in military spending, hate US foreign policy, hate most things in general about the military. But even the most ardent among them (if they're being honest) understand that if the US military ceased to exist the world would be seriously fucked. At least for awhile.

I'm not even advocating that we don't have programs to help people that are struggling. But the comparison doesn't work.
Ok then cancelling of a specific military program, like say a Veteran's Medical or Housing assistance program, because of waste in the program.

poor people spend irresponsibly

guCWlav.png

What a waste of taxpayer money. Poor people want instant gratification
Typical….

Ok then cancelling of a specific military program, like say a Veteran's Medical or Housing assistance program, because of waste in the program.
Definitely a better comparison, and absolutely that is gonna be (at least in part) because of the perception of the recipients.
Vets experiencing post war trauma, etc are just plain and simple gonna have a much larger collective sympathy granted to them than what some are gonna perceive as irresponsible people that had kids out of wedlock that they couldn't afford, etc.

That's not to say those assessments are always correct, but the general levels of support are gonna reflect that difference in how the recipients are viewed.

Here's what I don't understand. The article clearly says that most of the people involved spent the money on paying down debt and being responsible.

But we're going to devote more time discussing the negative outlier instead of the majority positive performers because the good got a tiny throw away line in the article. And in 6 months when something like this is proposed again, people are only going to remember the bad actor at the expense of the good.
Wait. Your telling me the media is part of the problem instilling racist tropes in society which further leads to the foothold of systemic racism????

I’m shocked.

Making it a race issue is a tired deflection. She's being highlighted for being selfish and stupid with money that could have been used to elevate her and her family's life in more ways than just a trip to Miami.

It's not really a deflection. He looks at this story and all that he sees is the race thing because he's a racist.

Definitely a better comparison, and absolutely that is gonna be (at least in part) because of the perception of the recipients.
Vets experiencing post war trauma, etc are just plain and simple gonna have a much larger collective sympathy granted to them than what some are gonna perceive as irresponsible people that had kids out of wedlock that they couldn't afford, etc.

That's not to say those assessments are always correct, but the general levels of support are gonna reflect that difference in how the recipients are viewed.
This one lady should not be the metric to judge all poor people by. A lot of poor people are struggling despite working hard. Cost of housing has skyrocketed. Everyone moans about inflation. Both these cost of living expenses impact the poor the most. The programs mentioned in the OP is meant to alleviate some of this.

Part of the reason this woman's case gets highlighted by conservatives is because she is stereotypical Black welfare queen abusing the system. Conservatives always moan about welfare - for the poor - but are noticeably quiet about welfare for the agriculture industry.

This is a fair response to the OP.

Question: How do you propose we deal with bad actors like this or prevent it from happening In the first place?
How about we focus on the people who did the right thing and encourage people to follow their example.

I think a lot of people would want that cleaned up too. The lady in this story already was on housing assistance and food stamps and TANF, and her rent is only $120/month, and this $10,800 was in addition to all of that.

I don't even know why they would need a "pilot program" to figure out that handing out welfare payments in a lump sum was a bad idea. When it comes to welfare or "safety net" programs, it doesn't take a lot of experimentation to figure out that handing over welfare payments in a lump sum will get wasted way more than the monthly installments, and making welfare payments even close to what you would make working, then more people will do that instead of working.

This one lady should not be the metric to judge all poor people by. A lot of poor people are struggling despite working hard. Cost of housing has skyrocketed. Everyone moans about inflation. Both these cost of living expenses impact the poor the most. The programs mentioned in the OP is meant to alleviate some of this.

Part of the reason this woman's case gets highlighted by conservatives is because she is stereotypical Black welfare queen abusing the system. Conservatives always moan about welfare - for the poor - but are noticeably quiet about welfare for the agriculture industry.

That's why I said the perception isn't always accurate. But I'm telling you why you don't hear similar sentiments about programs that target helping former military personnel.

i dont see the problem. give people money and they spend it, that's how it works. No strings means no strings. A lot of guys on here probably would have spent that money on hookers and blow. Judge not lest ye be judged.

I'm guessing this is a new program or a test of some kind anyway, which means they are still getting it dialed in. If people care so much about how other poeple spend their money then maybe make schools teach financial literacy.

I've seen tons of farmers posting memes of this lady, but of course, they're not doing the same thing.
What proof do you have that farmers are spending 10k of tax payer handouts on Miami vacations?

What proof do you have that farmers are spending 10k of tax payer handouts on Miami vacations?

Well, you can always tell when the subsidies checks hit. Everybody gets new pickups, campers, side by sides, etc.

Back