• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cyborg Taunting Rousey on Instagram

I've never used the 'ignore' feature on any site before, but he and Concrete Whale very well may be the first. This site is bizarre to me, the increasingly lax nature of the mods over the years - and the amount of trolling is turning me off from returning (and MMA, I fear). No other site that I frequent degrades into this mess (granted, those are for trade and profession - however there are still contentious debates, but are usually accompanied by sourced material and verified members).

I just don't see what the point of outright ignoring facts is - it not only damages the person's argument, but enable a fighter's behavior. If you (universal) wanna see the best fights, then all fighters need to be held to the same standard and accountability.

Interestingly enough, I have the same two people on ignore, for much the same reason.

And I agree with the rest of your post. I mean, some of my favorite fighters have done stupid shit. I like Josh Barnett (actually got to talk to him for a few minutes at an SF event a few years back, was very cool). Great grappler, I like his approach to training and fighting, etc. But he is an utter moron for failing not one, but three drug tests and killing Affliction.

Or pointing out that Shevchenko, who is one of my favorite female fighters, really needs to work on her guard, sweeps and reversals, because that is her weakest area and the amount of weight she is giving up to other WBW's makes it even more difficult. If I am discussing them with someone, and they bring these issues up, I agree. Because while I am entitled to my own opinion, I am not entitled to my own facts. People who deny reality to suit themselves should seek professional help.

You missed a third possibility: someone who thinks this would be a mismatch. That would be me - its should be obvious I'm anything but a fan of Rousey, but I'm a fan of MMA, and I don't particularly want to see Cyborg-Rousey.

I just don't see this being even remotely competitive, and therefore not even remotely interesting. To begin, from Cyborg's own texts of her fit walk around weight (175) and from Rousey's fit weight at TUF (155), we know that after 24 hours of rehydration, there's going to be 20 pounds difference at cage time. (As a side note, that is why I would be very interested in seeing this fight if it were at 155 with a cage-side weigh-in, it'd ensure its the same weight ... it gets rid of the size difference problem).

That 20 pounds is the same as Alvarez-Cruz for instance. How many people are calling out to see that fight? Does anyone think it'd be even remotely interesting? And that's given that Cruz is a much better fighter (even technically) than Rousey. 20 pounds in the cage at those weights is a lot unless there is a huge technical gap, and Cyborg is at least as good technically as Rousey in everything but takedowns, and of course much better at striking.

On top of that, Cyborg is a horrible style match-up for Rousey. Rousey has extremely bad striking and only throws out of a clinch - which she tries to get by walking through her opponent's punches. Can you come up with a worse game plan against Cyborg? Now if Rousey shows she can learn head movement and evasive footwork I'd be interested in seeing the fight at any weight - suddenly it becomes a question of whether Cyborg can tag her before Rousey can get the clinch and throw her (its pretty even on the ground, but that'd be interesting too).

However, despite everyone including Rousey's own mom saying for the last five years that Rhonda should learn head movement, she's learned exactly zero slipping, learned no evasiveness with footwork, learned nothing at all about avoiding being hit. Rousey's mom blames her coach for this (Rousey was an Olympic athlete, she certainly has the co-ordination to learn head movement and proper footwork if she works on it), but I wonder if its just Rousey herself not wanting to bother ... I can't see her coach telling his most important athlete that he's not going to teach her defensive fighting if she asks for it.

Until Rousey shows head movement/evasive footwork, this fight in my opinion is a waste of time, unless its done at 155 with a cage side weigh-in. Spoken, you'll note, as an MMA fan who's a Rousey critic. Its because I'm an MMA fan that I think this fight is pointless, its only appeal is celebrity appeal - get two big names in the cage and see what happens. Its just not interesting as a fight on its own merit.

That's a lot of reading. You obviously don't think much of Ronda and that's fine but I'm going to correct a few things.

Cyborg isn't technically better than Ronda at anything. Not submissions, not take downs and not striking. Just because Cyborg can throw haymakers at smaller women without fear of them doing anything about it, doesn't make her a great striker. Is Bethe a better striker than Ronda? I don't think so and Cyborg is a bigger version of Bethe. She's all arm punches and she very stiff for a supposedly "top shelf" athlete. There's a reason you've never seen Cyborg KO someone with 1 punch and that's because she has no technique. She's just fuckin huge and that's it.

Cyborg is an easier style match up for Ronda than Holly was. Cyborg likes to move forward and close distance. She's not a counter striker like Holly who can use superior footwork and angles to frustrate Ronda into being careless. Cyborg is straight ahead, all the time and that's a perfect opponent for a 4th degree black belt judoka. Once again, the only thing Cyborg has going for her is size and strength and that might be enough to prevent take downs.

Ronda does lack head movement. I 100% agree with that. Most female fighters do because it requires extreme coordination and timing. It's definitely something she should be working on. Having said that though, her striking isn't the worse nor is it the best. She probably has the most power in her hands and has a good jab. She could learn to kick.

That's a lot of reading. You obviously don't think much of Ronda and that's fine but I'm going to correct a few things.

Cyborg isn't technically better than Ronda at anything. Not submissions, not take downs and not striking.

Um, Cyborg's technique may not be as polished as it could be, but Ronda's striking is absolutely terrible. No head movement, does not keep her chin down or her shoulders up, leaves her jab out and retracts it low, the right comes back low as well. Trouble keeping her hands up in general, no decent footwork - no lateral movement, no ability to cut the ring, etc. In short, everything you should drill from week one are all things she does not do or does very, very badly. Even when she hits the pads, that fuckwit Emond slaps in so far her punches start coming up short, but it makes her look faster to idiots.

She is the worst striker (tied with Pena) in the UFC. Cyborg is not a technical wizard, but she at least does a few things correct. Sure, she throws more hooks and crosses than jabs, but she relies on power and with her size and strength advantage, knows she should not have to worry about getting jabbed out by a woman she outweighs by 25 lbs. of muscle.

Interestingly enough, I have the same two people on ignore, for much the same reason.

And I agree with the rest of your post. I mean, some of my favorite fighters have done stupid shit. I like Josh Barnett (actually got to talk to him for a few minutes at an SF event a few years back, was very cool). Great grappler, I like his approach to training and fighting, etc. But he is an utter moron for failing not one, but three drug tests and killing Affliction.

Or pointing out that Shevchenko, who is one of my favorite female fighters, really needs to work on her guard, sweeps and reversals, because that is her weakest area and the amount of weight she is giving up to other WBW's makes it even more difficult. If I am discussing them with someone, and they bring these issues up, I agree. Because while I am entitled to my own opinion, I am not entitled to my own facts. People who deny reality to suit themselves should seek professional help.

When JoJo's husband used to post on here, before JoJo had her rough go, I explained how I was a fan; but questioned whether she could withstand any ground game. From her videos, it seemed , she was extremely green and susceptible there. I was bashed by others and he for posing my statement. I apologized and retreated, but the lack of introspect is difficult to find.

I appreciate your candor with Barnett, I'm jealous you were able to meet him. He would probably be at/close to the top of my list of fighters I'd like to sit at an empty dive bar with and toss a few back. The scope of his experience in MMA is astounding.

PEDs is a difficult conversation to have, as I understand most people's opinion on them, but because it is inherent in my profession, - I have a more staunch approach (I waffle between life time ban, and the slightly less extreme). However, you couple that with Cris' other infractions and she's lucky she still has a job. Any other career and she would be barred, is my belief. I know a few people (likable people) who have knowingly manipulated data and published material - and now (rightfully) are ostracized. Which is a reflection on their professionalism, and I don't see how this/Cris is too dissimilar.

Here is a very relatable article to Cris Cyborg about steroid use and it's long-term gains. It centers around how Justin Gatlin is still able to compete at an elite level so far out of what is a sprinters prime years entitled: The Gatlin dilemma.

---
Back to Cris and Captain Herb and Concrete Whale:

To fix blinders on and beat a drum for someone in the way they do, screams agenda to me. Maybe I'm not accustomed to the the culture on this board, but I wonder who is behind the drive for her in the manner they do on here. Then again, there was that crazy KennyNackamara character who was obsessed with Rousey being a virgin - so maybe it is just blind passion for a fighter..?

That's clearly true; I'd argue Cyborg is the WMMA GOAT, but even those who disagree with Cyborg as number one have to put her at number two - there's no one but Rousey and Cyborg even in the conversation. I can even see the UFC, if it doesn't think there are enough women at 145 for a full division, having exhibition fights at 145 while they build up the division. Cyborg clearly belongs in the top organization.

The only other organization which even comes close is Bellator (they're getting a number of the disgruntled UFC fighters, including some very good ones), but they have no WMMA division. I wonder if they'd consider creating a WMMA 125 and 145 division, stealing those from the UFC - they seem to be making a run at replacing or at least joining the UFC as top dog. I remember the Pride/UFC days (Pride better for some divisions, esp HW, UFC for others), and think it was good for the sport, as the competition kept both organizations from mistreating fighters.

The all time rankings should be:

1. Ronda based on level of competition and domination

2. Megumi based on a long career and being dominant, though she comes in 2nd because she built a lot of record against nobodies

I don't know how people even rank Cyborg when you factor in her 20-25 lb weight advantage in every fight and her quality of opponents. Nobody can name her top 5 wins.

Um, Cyborg's technique may not be as polished as it could be, but Ronda's striking is absolutely terrible. No head movement, does not keep her chin down or her shoulders up, leaves her jab out and retracts it low, the right comes back low as well. Trouble keeping her hands up in general, no decent footwork - no lateral movement, no ability to cut the ring, etc. In short, everything you should drill from week one are all things she does not do or does very, very badly. Even when she hits the pads, that fuckwit Emond slaps in so far her punches start coming up short, but it makes her look faster to idiots.

She is the worst striker (tied with Pena) in the UFC. Cyborg is not a technical wizard, but she at least does a few things correct. Sure, she throws more hooks and crosses than jabs, but she relies on power and with her size and strength advantage, knows she should not have to worry about getting jabbed out by a woman she outweighs by 25 lbs. of muscle.

Nope Ronda's striking isn't terrible. Cat's striking is terrible. Miesha's striking is terrible. Pena is just embarrassing. Ronda is above average in her striking but obviously not on the level of Valentina, Nunes or Holly who have been training it almost exclusively for much longer. Cyborg is on the level of Big Country in how she throws punches. It's all arm. Also, name another female fighter in the UFC with a 1 punch KO. It's not Cyborg.

Nope Ronda's striking isn't terrible. Cat's striking is terrible. Miesha's striking is terrible. Pena is just embarrassing. Ronda is above average in her striking but obviously not on the level of Valentina, Nunes or Holly who have been training it almost exclusively for much longer. Cyborg is on the level of Big Country in how she throws punches. It's all arm. Also, name another female fighter in the UFC with a 1 punch KO. It's not Cyborg.

Give me some examples of how Ronda is above average. And kindly do not forget to include striking defense, which is only the most important part of striking. I will wait. She landed a sloppy overhand right on Zingano, shit striking against Bethe, ran into punches against McMann who has sub-par striking and, of course, looked like a child fighting an adult when she actually fought a truly skilled striker.

So I await your examples of her above-average striking.

I do not keep track of one punch KO, but that is not truly indicative of technical mastery, which is what I was talking about. If it is an issue for you, feel free to look into it.

I don`t like Rousey but c`mon, make the weight or shut the fuck up.
In reality she don't really even need to make weight. It isn't challenging for the title anymore. Why not a catch weight. Ronda and the UFC can't hide behind the "challenger should make weight" excuse. I think Cyborg fucks Ronda up. As soon as Ronda starts getting beat to the punch she will start to panic and lose all composure. I have never seen a person suicidal after a competitive sports loss. Honda is missing the biggest part of a championship fighter...heart.

Give me some examples of how Ronda is above average. And kindly do not forget to include striking defense, which is only the most important part of striking. I will wait. She landed a sloppy overhand right on Zingano, shit striking against Bethe, ran into punches against McMann who has sub-par striking and, of course, looked like a child fighting an adult when she actually fought a truly skilled striker.

I do not keep track of one punch KO, but that is not truly indicative of technical mastery, which is what I was talking about. If it is an issue for you, feel free to look into it.

Rousey's isn't great, but she shows (at times) she can out-strike an opponent with some technique:
11.gif

but if you compare her to holm's foot work and counters:

IOI06HlDhApwc.gif

Then no, she's not a technician. She did wobble Holm, but I can't find that gif currently.

it seems to server her purpose, throwing a punch, of closing the distance.

168-8.gif

search

In reality she don't really even need to make weight. It isn't challenging for the title anymore. Why not a catch weight. Ronda and the UFC can't hide behind the "challenger should make weight" excuse. I think Cyborg fucks Ronda up. As soon as Ronda starts getting beat to the punch she will start to panic and lose all composure. I have never seen a person suicidal after a competitive sports loss. Honda is missing the biggest part of a championship fighter...heart.

I don`t disagree with that, but i think it`s bullshit that Ronda and others have to move up in weight just because Cyborg doesn`t want to lose that huge size advantage that he has over girls that btw, has gained over PED use. This bullshit narrative that she cannot make 135, of course not she wants to have all that muscle to beat up smaller girls.

She basically wants to fight woman in all her terms, gives up 5 pounds but still has that ridiculous size advantage, she is pretty much built like a man and makes a career of beating the shit out of 135`ers. I like Cyborg, but this is the reality of things, you want the fight that bad? Make 135 and give her no excuses.

Perfect right hand to drop Davis. Perfect left to the head, left to the body, followed by a right that face planted Bethe. Good knees and elbows in the clinch against McMann and dropped her too. Hit Holly with a left hand and wobbled her to the point Holly initiated a panic clinch.

I don't recall too many other female fighters in the division that have hurt so many opponents recently with strikes. So like I said, Holly, Nunes and Valentina are definitely more consistently technical in their striking. Cyborg is just a huge woman and not as technical as Ronda. She stands right in front of her opponents and throws haymakers with her hands down because it's like an adult beating up a child. There's no threat at all and technique is not needed.

Rousey's isn't great, but she shows (at times) she can out-strike an opponent with some technique:

but if you compare her to holm's foot work and counters:

Then no, she's not a technician. She did wobble Holm, but I can't find that gif currently.

it seems to server her purpose, throwing a punch, of closing the distance.

No point in comparing to Holm.

She landed essentially one punch on the feet against Davis, who is a grappler. Davis hit her twice. So on the feet Rousey was out-struck 2-1. This fight was a bad choice due to the limited number of strikes on the feet.

Yeah, she could land against Tate, but got hit an awful lot. Tate displayed an incredibly low fight IQ, running in to clinch and shoot for takedowns. Comparing gifs is pointless, and you know it. Look at the fight as a whole. Do not cherry pick your data. So if you are going to count the Tate fight, you need to eliminate ground strikes, because she, like most women with a couple of exceptions, throws pitter-patter shit to expose something for grappling. Sure, it is striking, but it is shitty striking.

I don`t disagree with that, but i think it`s bullshit that Ronda and others have to move up in weight just because Cyborg doesn`t want to lose that huge size advantage that he has over girls that btw, has gained over PED use. This bullshit narrative that she cannot make 135, of course not she wants to have all that muscle to beat up smaller girls.

She basically wants to fight woman in all her terms, gives up 5 pounds but still has that ridiculous size advantage, she is pretty much built like a man and makes a career of beating the shit out of 135`ers. I like Cyborg, but this is the reality of things, you want the fight that bad? Make 135 and give her no excuses.

Nah, she has also made a career out of beating the shit out of 125'ers. Do not forget that 25% of her resume contains women who have fought at 125, which is even more pathetic.

Perfect right hand to drop Davis. Perfect left to the head, left to the body, followed by a right that face planted Bethe. Good knees and elbows in the clinch against McMann and dropped her too. Hit Holly with a left hand and wobbled her to the point Holly initiated a panic clinch.

Perfect? You have got to be fucking shitting me. She was winging shots in on Bethe and only gets away with it because it was squash match that should never have been made, and a disgrace to the damn belt. Congrats on achieve Concrete Whale level-posting. Fuck, even Cerrone was busting on Rogan about Ronda's striking during that fight. And, of course, how often she got hit by someone with a grand total of three years of training.

It was a decent right that hit Davis, and that was the best punch Ronda ever threw.

Decent job against McMann, but walked into multiple right hands from a grappler. Again, got lit up by a poor striker, until she landed the knee.

And, of course, I note that you completely ignored striking defense. How convenient. Do you want to actually answer the question, because striking is more than just winging shots in against grapplers and relying on your chin until you can clinch.

I don't recall too many other female fighters in the division that have hurt so many opponents recently with strikes. So like I said, Holly, Nunes and Valentina are definitely more consistently technical in their striking. Cyborg is just a huge woman and not as technical as Ronda. She stands right in front of her opponents and throws haymakers with her hands down because it's like an adult beating up a child. There's no threat at all and technique is not needed.

So lets see, you do not recall, yet you remember Holm, Nunes and Shevchenko. So that would be the majority of the top five.

Kindly do not bother replying if this is the sort of shit you are going to post. You ignored defense, and clearly ignore technique, which is something I am talking about. Find a slow mo gif of the last sequence against Bethe, and I will show you what I mean.

While you are at it, post some gifs of Ronda running right into punches. She does that a lot. Something tells me you will find a way to avoid doing that, though. Really, I expected better than this load of crap from you.

Perfect? Against Bethe? Fucking please. I would have had my ass beat by my coach as a kid if I threw like that.

She landed essentially one punch on the feet against Davis, who is a grappler. Davis hit her twice. So on the feet Rousey was out-struck 2-1. This fight was a bad choice due to the limited number of strikes on the feet.

Yeah, she could land against Tate, but got hit an awful lot. Tate displayed an incredibly low fight IQ, running in to clinch and shoot for takedowns. Comparing gifs is pointless, and you know it. Look at the fight as a whole. Do not cherry pick your data. So if you are going to count the Tate fight, you need to eliminate ground strikes, because she, like most women with a couple of exceptions, throws pitter-patter shit to expose something for grappling. Sure, it is striking, but it is shitty striking.

Tate was forced to spam take down attempts because she was getting her ass handed to her. It's the same thing she was forced to do against Holly in the 5th round. It was more an act of desperation because she was losing than low fight IQ.

Tate was forced to spam take down attempts because she was getting her ass handed to her. It's the same thing she was forced to do against Holly in the 5th round. It was more an act of desperation because she was losing than low fight IQ.

So no examples of striking defense, which is the most important part of striking? I mean, if Ronda has above average skills, and since she only fought one striker, she should be slipping punches right and left. Please provide examples. Do not post crap, do not exaggerate, actually support the claim you made.

And when she displays the technical mastery of, say Demetrious Johnson or Jose Also, you can say her strikes are exceptional. But they are never perfect. One of the reasons why she fucked her hand up in that fight was she did not turn her hand over when throwing the overhead right. So no, it was not even close to perfect (again, basic mistake).

So can you actually support your claim, because I am not going to bother going back and forth with this shit.

in this context it is appropriate, as it shows she has some knowledge/base in striking technique. I intentionally sated: "Rousey's isn't great, but she shows (at times) she can out-strike an opponent with some technique:"

Her defensive skill and footwork are well behind others in the profession, but she did show the ability to use a shoulder roll against Davis. Whether that was by accident... I have to assume she's drilled on that technique and it was a moment of clarity in her career. Her main problem is how she responds to punches and kicks thrown. She tends to keep her chin high, and just wings in return.

I'm not making a case for her to transition to boxing/kickboxing. But I am saying there are certainly worse examples of fighters throwing punches in MMA (how did I get to here? I'm defending Ronda's striking? Bizarre). She needs to learn how to slip, how to change directions, to stay light, etc. My point was, as I stated, it has so far served her in getting into the clench (meisha, davis, mcmann, kaufman).

Is her striking offense/defense great? No. Does it need work? Absolutely. Can she beat Holm or the feet? No. Can she beat Cyborg with her current skill-set? Ehhhh... Possibly? Probably? But not because of her striking defense... more so because of Cyborg's and Rousey's standup style leads to the cinch.

in this context it is appropriate, as it shows she has some knowledge/base in striking technique. I intentionally sated: "Rousey's isn't great, but she shows (at times) she can out-strike an opponent with some technique:"

She outstrikes opponents with no technique only. I could maybe land a lucky punch on somebody before getting my ass beat. That does not show
that I have even mediocre technique, it shows that someone else was sloppy. Just because someone else is bad for an instant, it does not make me good, or even average when discussing my skill level. (I actually do train, but I have no delusions as to my actual level of ability).

Her defensive skill and footwork are well behind others in the profession, but she did show the ability to use a shoulder roll against Davis. Whether that was by accident... I have to assume she's drilled on that technique and it was a moment of clarity in her career. Her main problem is how she responds to punches and kicks thrown. She tends to keep her chin high, and just wings in return.

Right. She occasionally does something right, after more than five years of training. Sorry, that is shitty. Brief flashes of knowing how to do something she should have down cold inside the first couple months just does not cut it.

I'm not making a case for her to transition to boxing/kickboxing. But I am saying there are certainly worse examples of fighters throwing punches in MMA (how did I get to here? I'm defending Ronda's striking? Bizarre).

Absinthe?
:)

She needs to learn how to slip, how to change directions, to stay light, etc. My point was, as I stated, it has so far served her in getting into the clench (meisha, davis, mcmann, kaufman).

Really, she wades through a lot of punches. Because most of the women at 135 do not have any power, she walks through shit she should avoid. Again, the very basics, and not even mediocre after five years of training.

Is her striking offense/defense great? No. Does it need work? Absolutely. Can she beat Holm or the feet? No. Can she beat Cyborg with her current skill-set? Ehhhh... Possibly? Probably? But not because of her striking defense... more so because of Cyborg's and Rousey's standup style leads to the cinch.

No idea if she can beat Cyborg or not, I would give the edge to Cyborg simple because her grappling skills, while limited, are superior to Rousey's striking skills, which are crap. Again, her biggest issue, other than doing most things wrong most of the time, is pretty much always doing things wrong defensively and with respect to footwork.

No idea if she can beat Cyborg or not, I would give the edge to Cyborg simple because her grappling skills, while limited, are superior to Rousey's striking skills, which are crap. Again, her biggest issue, other than doing most things wrong most of the time, is pretty much always doing things wrong defensively and with respect to footwork.

No real issue with this last statement. She hasn't needed to improve technique - until Holm. Her game plan has always been: "Get to the clinch. Get the Takedown. Get the submission." Most opponents have obliged her in that (damn you Zingano). From her first ammy fights to now, she has shown progress, but the first phase of a fight (pre clinch) doesn't seem to have been heavily focused on. Who's to blame? Ronda or Edmond? I'm not nor ever was a grappler, but it appears that striking and grappling are counter to each other in the technical aspects - so relearning against your route, I'm sure isn't easy. Rousey talks(ed) about challenges and lack there of in the sport, well... the challenge of blending these art forms would make her truly a nightmare. I'll give Cris this: She has competed and tested herself in grappling tournaments and Muay Thai / Kickboxing.

I'm not sure how Rousey beats Holm currently. She needs to tighten up her defense (more shoulder rolls, slips, shell and leg checks) and catch Holm off balance or coming in... I just don't see Ronda as fleet enough to chase her and trap her. Ronda's road to victory over Cybborg, and Nunes is a little more straightforward in that she can adapt her current approach well enough due to the styles.

Back