Cuban Boxing Fundamentals

So thats why he's called el feo! I thought it it was because of his looks which never made sense to me.

One of things that annoys me about the current Cuban pro's is that when they play it safe they like to move backwards and counter instead of giving different looks. Most of them seem overly defensive minded and that what I'm trying to find out why there mentality shifted so much compared to the og's.
I think the amateur system takes a beating in the court of public opinon. But it is not wrong. don't get it and score points you will win..

I think the amateur system takes a beating in the court of public opinon. But it is not wrong. don't get it and score points you will win..

Not sure about amateur boxing worldwide, but here in 90s judges even didn't score body punches, so it was head-hunting all the way. Combined with AIBA anti-KO gloves (which are good only for your own hand's breaking) and shitty headgear, the result was funny enough.

Two newish video translations about pretty fundamental things.

His approach to straight punches is a little alien to me, but I have no doubt it works. I just find it interesting how many different ways there are of doing things.

Two newish video translations about pretty fundamental things.

His approach to straight punches is a little alien to me, but I have no doubt it works. I just find it interesting how many different ways there are of doing things.

The way Frolov teaches is good in terms of that he’s giving you not the separate pieces of a bigger picture but a whole system, each part of which compliments others, like a good puzzle.

Thoughts on Artur Beterbiev Comrade Dexter? He seems a bit different to a lot of these soviets in that he's not super slick or pulling out a huge bag of tricks of boxing moves but he is very compotent and solid. He seems like he is a very basic boxer but he didnt let a super skilled guy like Gvozdyk out box him at all.

Also do boxers from the Caucus region have different styles in general? And how are there trainers in that region, are they as good as there slavic counterparts? Do they teach the same style of boxing down there?

Thoughts on Artur Beterbiev Comrade Dexter? He seems a bit different to a lot of these soviets in that he's not super slick or pulling out a huge bag of tricks of boxing moves but he is very compotent and solid. He seems like he is a very basic boxer but he didnt let a super skilled guy like Gvozdyk out box him at all.

Also do boxers from the Caucus region have different styles in general? And how are there trainers in that region, are they as good as there slavic counterparts? Do they teach the same style of boxing down there?

Caucasus guys, in my experience, prefer more direct, "puncher" style. Boxing is not super-popular there, wrestling's still #1. Can't say anything about their coaches - the guys I met here trained under our trainers, so were heavily influenced by them. All in all, Caucasus dudes are very athletic, aggressive, with good gas tank, but somehow lacking in other departments - as you've said, their style's very basic, power-dominant. Armenian boxers, for example, are much more interesting technique-wise.

Caucasus guys, in my experience, prefer more direct, "puncher" style. Boxing is not super-popular there, wrestling's still #1. Can't say anything about their coaches - the guys I met here trained under our trainers, so were heavily influenced by them. All in all, Caucasus dudes are very athletic, aggressive, with good gas tank, but somehow lacking in other departments - as you've said, their style's very basic, power-dominant. Armenian boxers, for example, are much more interesting technique-wise.
Interesting, care to say more about Armenians? The only one I know of that was trained in Armenia was the crude and awkward one shot ko artist Vic Darchinyan.

Interesting, care to say more about Armenians? The only one I know of that was trained in Armenia was the crude and awkward one shot ko artist Vic Darchinyan.

They have a lot of good technicians in ammies\semi-pros.

whats the story on tuinov?
i member the other guy from the other videos he looked like a god

Vlad Tuinov is Master of Sport International Class in Kickboxing, active fighter in Glory promotion :). Very clever, motivated and technical guy.

Due to Covid restrictions Vlad decided to participate in bare knuckle bouts, it's his second fight. His opponents both were Masters of Sport in boxing, very experienced guys but still not on his level. Both fights were good, tho.

1st one

P.S. TopDog FC will be coming up with bare knuckle kickboxing soon, I think Vlad wants to get in and take the main prize.

Vlad Tuinov is Master of Sport International Class in Kickboxing, active fighter in Glory promotion :). Very clever, motivated and technical guy.

Due to Covid restrictions Vlad decided to participate in bare knuckle bouts, it's his second fight. His opponents both were Masters of Sport in boxing, very experienced guys but still not on his level. Both fights were good, tho.

1st one

P.S. TopDog FC will be coming up with bare knuckle kickboxing soon, I think Vlad wants to get in and take the main prize.

Awesome stuff.
Man they shit all over BKFC.
They also seem to handle their business much more professionally.
How do they handle preparations for Bare Knuckle competitions?

How do they handle preparations for Bare Knuckle competitions?

You mean fighters? Each has their own pre-fight camp, still no such thing as strictly planned scientific preparations for a bout, like in other combat sports. Tuinov, for example, hits mitts and bags bare-knuckle, do a lot of conditioning stuff for wrists\fists, etc. Technique-wise - high guard, lots of movement on step-half step, priority to defence - baiting with the jab, first opponent's punch hitting the block, then you lean back and counter-attack immidiately (marked). No light punches, everything goes hard. No spread fingers, always keeping the fists tight.

A pity they don't have subtitles in English - I really enjoy Vlad's interviews - he's in his early twenties, already several times international champ but still keeps it humble, plus he's a very intelligent fellow. Hope he'd get what titles he wants and begin his coaching\other career the quicker the better. That lvl of talent is wasted in combat sports.

The promotion also hosted Berinchyk vs Lobov. Mahatch, that is.

That's another BK promotion, called "Makhatch" ("Brawl"). Ukraine-based.
The 2nd most famous Russian BK promotion is Hardcore FC https://www.youtube.com/c/HardcoreFightingChampionship , the fights are also decent but they keep it very intensive in "around-the-bouts" part, with lots of scandals, obscene language and stuff. A huge chunk of fighters are from the Caucasus region too, with their typical behaviour in and out of the "ring".

You mean fighters? Each has their own pre-fight camp, still no such thing as strictly planned scientific preparations for a bout, like in other combat sports. Tuinov, for example, hits mitts and bags bare-knuckle, do a lot of conditioning stuff for wrists\fists, etc. Technique-wise - high guard, lots of movement on step-half step, priority to defence - baiting with the jab, first opponent's punch hitting the block, then you lean back and counter-attack immidiately (marked). No light punches, everything goes hard. No spread fingers, always keeping the fists tight.

A pity they don't have subtitles in English - I really enjoy Vlad's interviews - he's in his early twenties, already several times international champ but still keeps it humble, plus he's a very intelligent fellow. Hope he'd get what titles he wants and begin his coaching\other career the quicker the better. That lvl of talent is wasted in combat sports.

Interesting that they work on high guard. I read that historically BK boxers used hand to protect body mostly. Without gloves, you have to really pick your punches, it is easy to break hand on forehead. Some boxers would “block” straight punches by intercepting them with high forehead.

Interesting that they work on high guard. I read that historically BK boxers used hand to protect body mostly. Without gloves, you have to really pick your punches, it is easy to break hand on forehead. Some boxers would “block” straight punches by intercepting them with high forehead.

Well, Tuinov’s background is KB, so it’s only natural for him.
Modern BK is still in its infancy stages, so will see a lot more in the future, IMHO.

Boxing is not super-popular there, wrestling's still #1.
Yeah.
Not only these countries, also in Russia close to caucus countries: like Krasnodar krai, Stavropol oblastj: grappling was and still is popular thing: greco roman, freestyle, sambo, judo.

Back