Critic my new workout program please?

Eye opener ! Thanks

You are welcome.

You can add stuff and work on additional stuff by your choice. I for example add core, arm and calf work and have made this into a 4 day split just to separate the ohp from the bench.

I work legs only once per week but my legs are huge in comparison to my body, I always trained them, mostly 3-6 times per week and I played soccer. So putting them to some maintenance mode.

My own work out routing looks like:

Push
Bench 2 ,sets
Incline 2 sets
Dips 2 sets to failure super set with leg rise to failure
Close grip bench 2 sets super set with some core rotational work russian twist or wood chops

Pull
DL 2 sets
Barbel rows + shrugs 2 sets
Chin ups/lat pull downs (depends on the rep range) super setted with lying leg curls 2 sets
Upright row - 1 set
Revese peck deck 1 work set
Farmer walks
This is my hardest work out

Lega

Front squat 3 sets
Back squat 3 sets
Walking lunges 3 sets
Biceps curls ss with core work
Preacher curl ss with core work
Hammer curl ss with calfs

Upper body
Ohp 2 sets
Dips 2 sets
Peck deck or cross over 2 sets super setted with leg rises or cable wood chops what ever is convinient
Lateral rises 1 work set ss with core work
One pulling machine that puts weight on the lats 2 sets ss with calf work

And that is it

I finish in about 45 mins. I try to kill it on the main lifts and then the assistance is done on the move - very fast. Little rest still good technique and progressive overload is applied

Wih this approach. What I benched for 5 reps in 5 sets I bench now for 10 reps. Because I know it is just two sets and I can kill it.

Last edited:
You are welcome.

You can add stuff and work on additional stuff by your choice. I for example add core, arm and calf work and have made this into a 4 day split just to separate the ohp from the bench.

I work legs only once per week but my legs are huge in comparison to my body, I always trained them, mostly 3-6 times per week and I played soccer. So putting them to some maintenance mode.

My own work out routing looks like:

Push
Bench 2 ,sets
Incline 2 sets
Dips 2 sets to failure super set with leg rise to failure
Close grip bench 2 sets super set with some core rotational work russian twist or wood chops

Pull
DL 2 sets
Barbel rows + shrugs 2 sets
Chin ups/lat pull downs (depends on the rep range) super setted with lying leg curls 2 sets
Upright row - 1 set
Revese peck deck 1 work set
Farmer walks
This is my hardest work out

Lega

Front squat 3 sets
Back squat 3 sets
Walking lunges 3 sets
Biceps curls ss with core work
Preacher curl ss with core work
Hammer curl ss with calfs

Upper body
Ohp 2 sets
Dips 2 sets
Peck deck or cross over 2 sets super setted with leg rises or cable wood chops what ever is convinient
Lateral rises 1 work set ss with core work
One pulling machine that puts weight on the lats 2 sets ss with calf work

And that is it

I finish in about 45 mins. I try to kill it on the main lifts and then the assistance is done on the move - very fast. Little rest still good technique and progressive overload is applied

Wih this approach. What I benched for 5 reps in 5 sets I bench now for 10 reps. Because I know it is just two sets and I can kill it.

Wow nice programme. 45 mins is the best, it's more than enough. Before this, for 3-4 years , I've been spending at least 2 hours for gym per workout, that's changing now. I'm going to do my push workout today, 2 sets BB benchpress, then 3 sets DB bench. Then isolation 3 sets cable upper chest, then some 3 sets shoulder work and some triceps too. Can't wait.

The only problem I have with leaving bro splits routine is that I won't be having any more shoulder only days. Those are fun. Bye shoulder days :(

I need a wise eye to check my program. I've been lifting for 4-5 years, and have been doing bro splits before this. Now trying to change it up:

Monday:
Dumbbell Incline benchpress: 6/7 sets x 7
Dips for lower chest: 7 sets x 7
Sitted dumbbell shoulder press: 7 x 6
Close grip benchpress : 5 x 5
Triceps extension: 5 x 5

Tuesday:
Weighted pull ups: 5 x 5
Barbell backsquat: 5 x 5
T-bar row: 5 x 5
Barbell hip thrust: 4 x 8/9
biceps hammer curl: 4 x 8

Wednesday: rest & abs

Thursday:
Barbell benchpress 5 x 5
Incline cable chest fly: 4 x 8
Shoulder front raise: 4 x 8
Shoulder side delts lateral raise: 3 x 8
Close grip benchpress: 5 x 5
Tricep pushdown: 4 x 8

Friday:
Weighted chin ups: 5 x 5
Lats pulldown: 3 x 8
Seated back cable row: 4 x 8
Barbell glute bridge: 4 x 8
Hip abduction: 4 x 8
Roman chair back extension: 4 x 8
Seated dumbbell bicep curls: 4 x 8

Sat & Sun: Rest & abs

Is this too much? Or do I need to add more? I don't do deadlifts because it's awkward I feel for me, and hurts my back

No offence intended, but that, "program" is a train wreck. Way too much upper body volume and no lower body training at all? It's like something you'd see in a Bro Science video.

If hypertrophy is your main goal, try a program like 5/3/1 Boring But Big, the 5/3/1 Bodybuilding Template, or Greyskull. All of these programs have proven track records. If followed correctly, they will build strength and size. And you won't have to make excuses about why you skip Leg Day;)

Regarding Deadlifts feeling awkward and hurting your back: first, get someone who knows what they are doing to teach you the correct technique. Because going by your routine, I strongly suspect you don't have the knowledge to Deadlift safely and correctly. Again, not trying to offend you. If you still don't want to do Deadlifts after you've had your technique checked, there are alternatives like Rack Pulls and Trap Bar Deadlifts.

Eventually you need more volume but that is a last resort occurrence for most people......the driver of hypertrophy for novices and intermediates is really about intensity

Eventually you need more volume but that is a last resort occurrence for most people......the driver of hypertrophy for novices and intermediates is really about intensity
Can you give me an example of the most volume a Natty intermediate lifter like me can do? Because I used to do like 30-40sets of chest work per week, and I read on the net people are saying that it is overtraining. I'm confused

30-40sets of chest work per week

giphy.gif

If you're doing 40 sets per body part, per week with any amount of reasonable intensity you're gonna fuck yourself up. That also sounds like a huge time sink.

Can you give me an example of the most volume a Natty intermediate lifter like me can do? Because I used to do like 30-40sets of chest work per week, and I read on the net people are saying that it is overtraining. I'm confused

30 to 40 sets is way overkill....do something like a 5x5, a 5/3/1 variant or something like that

giphy.gif

If you're doing 40 sets per body part, per week with any amount of reasonable intensity you're gonna fuck yourself up. That also sounds like a huge time sink.
Yup. Chest/biceps day or chest/triceps day could go on from 2hours - 2.5 hours per session

Wow nice programme. 45 mins is the best, it's more than enough. Before this, for 3-4 years , I've been spending at least 2 hours for gym per workout, that's changing now. I'm going to do my push workout today, 2 sets BB benchpress, then 3 sets DB bench. Then isolation 3 sets cable upper chest, then some 3 sets shoulder work and some triceps too. Can't wait.

The only problem I have with leaving bro splits routine is that I won't be having any more shoulder only days. Those are fun. Bye shoulder days :(
Bro splits are fine. If you look into my split it is very broish. Push, pull, leg is a bro split with a fancy wording. Having an arm day only though seems like a waste. You can see I have combined biceps isolation work with legs. But that is just because motivation reason. My legs are big for my level and I am always looking forward to my leg wworkout. So from a psychological point of view I though if I enjoy working the legs, then why not add my biceps work there?

However I am sure later I will change the isolation for some pulls that work the biceps. I program according to my schedule. And I often change programs which is my biggest mistake, but at least I follow up on the main lifts when I do.

Yup. Chest/biceps day or chest/triceps day could go on from 2hours - 2.5 hours per session

I really doubt there's any benefit from 2.5 hrs of a straight chest workout, you might be doing more harm than benefit.

Back