Critic my new workout program please?

Rdude92

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I need a wise eye to check my program. I've been lifting for 4-5 years, and have been doing bro splits before this. Now trying to change it up:

Monday:
Dumbbell Incline benchpress: 6/7 sets x 7
Dips for lower chest: 7 sets x 7
Sitted dumbbell shoulder press: 7 x 6
Close grip benchpress : 5 x 5
Triceps extension: 5 x 5

Tuesday:
Weighted pull ups: 5 x 5
Barbell backsquat: 5 x 5
T-bar row: 5 x 5
Barbell hip thrust: 4 x 8/9
biceps hammer curl: 4 x 8

Wednesday: rest & abs

Thursday:
Barbell benchpress 5 x 5
Incline cable chest fly: 4 x 8
Shoulder front raise: 4 x 8
Shoulder side delts lateral raise: 3 x 8
Close grip benchpress: 5 x 5
Tricep pushdown: 4 x 8

Friday:
Weighted chin ups: 5 x 5
Lats pulldown: 3 x 8
Seated back cable row: 4 x 8
Barbell glute bridge: 4 x 8
Hip abduction: 4 x 8
Roman chair back extension: 4 x 8
Seated dumbbell bicep curls: 4 x 8

Sat & Sun: Rest & abs

Is this too much? Or do I need to add more? I don't do deadlifts because it's awkward I feel for me, and hurts my back

Add some penis raises and you're good to go.

It is too much and you have no leg work.

Sets are way too many in every work out.

Monday you do not need triceps work so you can remove the close grip bench and extensions

I am not sure what you try to do on Tuesday but you can dedicate it to lower body day: back squats and front squats 3 sets, stiff leg dl and walking lunges + some calf work.

Thursday you can remove the front rises and the triceps work.

Friday is okayish.

Do no more than 10 total work sets for pushing, 10 for leg and 10 for pulling per week. But do them with intensity - heavy and try to add rest pause sets or drop sets so these sets go to failure. That plus surplus will make you bigger. Stronger you will get by adding weight to the bar. If you do 30 sets per workout ... how heavy and how long you will add weight?

If you want to go a 5x5 protocol.

Simple ABA + BAB work out will help
A= squat bench row
B = dl ohp chin
And I will recommend only squats to go up to 5 sets, while DL only 1 set and ohp, bench, chins and rows up to 3 working sets.

You do more with less. But quality less work.

Last edited:
dtEwfi6.jpg

If this is your desired physique then I see nothing wrong with your routine. Looks great, keep us posted on your progress.

It is too much and you have no leg work.

Sets are way too many in every work out.

Monday you do not need triceps work so you can remove the close grip bench and extensions

I am not sure what you try to do on Tuesday but you can dedicate it to lower body day: back squats and front squats 3 sets, stiff leg dl and walking lunges + some calf work.

Thursday you can remove the front rises and the triceps work.

Friday is okayish.

Do no more than 10 total work sets for pushing, 10 for leg and 10 for pulling per week. But do them with intensity - heavy and try to add rest pause sets or drop sets so these sets go to failure. That plus surplus will make you bigger. Stronger you will get by adding weight to the bar. If you do 30 sets per workout ... how heavy and how long you will add weight?

If you want to go a 5x5 protocol.

Simple ABA + BAB work out will help
A= squat bench row
B = dl ohp chin
And I will recommend only squats to go up to 5 sets, while DL only 1 set and ohp, bench, chins and rows up to 3 working sets.

You do more with less. But quality less work.
Thanks for your input man. Wow 10 sets per pushing, pulling and legs? I've been doing too much sets the last 3 years for pushing & pulling..like 20+ sets each per week and a lot less for legs. No wonder I feel like I'm overtraining. I'll be applying it to my workouts tomorrow thanks

This is my chest workout before I decided to change:
Incline dumbbell benchpress: 7sets x 8
Flat dumbbell benchpress: 9sets x 6
Dips: 7 x 7
Incline cable flys: 3 x 8
Close grip bench: 7 x 5
Tri extension: 4 x 8

Takes me 2hrs+ to complete it. I've always feel exhausted after this. Physically and mentally. Now I know why.

dtEwfi6.jpg

If this is your desired physique then I see nothing wrong with your routine. Looks great, keep us posted on your progress.

That guy's an idiot. I'm not. I wear these babies everyday
s-l300.jpg

This is too hard to read, too all over the place, add one more day where you squat. Seems like you've got most of the bases covered but I couldn't really tell you w/o knowing your SBD, current physique, and MRV. I wouldn't program for yourself unless you have hired a coach in the past or have listened to a couple of podcasts on programming.

This is too hard to read, too all over the place, add one more day where you squat. Seems like you've got most of the bases covered but I couldn't really tell you w/o knowing your SBD, current physique, and MRV. I wouldn't program for yourself unless you have hired a coach in the past or have listened to a couple of podcasts on programming.

Yeah I'm thinking towards adding squats 3 x 7 on Friday. That should do it. Thanks man, I'll be listening to those podcasts. Mike israetel & Eric helms are well known, and I was actually going to duplicate Eric's 5 x full body workout of Lower body/Upper body/ lower body / push / pull ...but it's too hard. Thanks

There has been a lot of talk against Mike recently I would not recommend his training advice. Science and evidence speaks against volume training. What matters is effort in the sets. There was a 6 months research recently showing that the best volume is between 5-10 sets for pushing, pulling and legs. Yep that was 2 sets of bench, 2 seta of incline bench and 1 set of OHP per week. And that group showed the best strength development and muscular increase than the 10 set, 15 set and 20 set ranges. For legs the 5 and 10 set groups showed the best results and for pulling was the same as legs.

So no need to do volume. One needs to put effort in his/her lifts.

It’s way too much volume and it’s 95% upper body. Also, you need a hip hinge movement. It doesn’t absolutely have to be deadlifts, but be clear about this: if you can’t hip hinge (eg kettle bell swing) without lower back pain, you either have a pre-existing injury or you’re doing it wrong.

There has been a lot of talk against Mike recently I would not recommend his training advice. Science and evidence speaks against volume training. What matters is effort in the sets. There was a 6 months research recently showing that the best volume is between 5-10 sets for pushing, pulling and legs. Yep that was 2 sets of bench, 2 seta of incline bench and 1 set of OHP per week. And that group showed the best strength development and muscular increase than the 10 set, 15 set and 20 set ranges. For legs the 5 and 10 set groups showed the best results and for pulling was the same as legs.

So no need to do volume. One needs to put effort in his/her lifts.

That's shocking to me wow. That means their workout only consist of example :

Monday:
Benchpress x 5
Overhead press x 5

Wednesday:
Deadlift x 5
Weighted pull ups x 5
Barbell row x 3

Friday:
Squats x 5
Lunges x 5

Last edited:
That's shocking to me wow. That means their workout only consist of example :

Monday:
Benchpress x 5
Overhead press x 5

Wednesday:
Deadlift x 5
Weighted pull ups x 5
Barbell row x 3

Friday:
Squats x 5
Lunges x 5
It was something like

Bench 2 sets
Incline bench 2 sets
Ohp 1 set

Row 2 sets
Lateral pull downs 2sets
Upright row 1 set

Squat 2 set
Hack squat 2 set
Stiff leg dl 1 set

That is the 5 set group.
You can count x2 for the 3 set group, x 3 for the 15 set group and x4 for the 20 set group.

To sum it up 5 and 10 set groups had best results in muscle and strength gain. 5 set group beat all in chest and shoulder, 10 set group in quads. The rest was equal between 5 set and 10 set groups. 20 set group did worst.

Reason is simple. If you do 2 working sets bench of 8 reps you will put way bigger weight than for example if you do 8 sets for example. Thus better effort. And it is much easier to go to failure and use drop sets or double rest pause sets if needed.

Effort matters. Lift heavy to failure and every rep matters. Doing higher volume may work if you work for skill in some lifts and you compete in power lifting or olympic lifting.

Or you are a newbie... and a 5x5 program can work wonders.

Last edited:
Back