• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Craig Jones Launches $1mill. Grappling Comp to Sh*t on ADCC

seatea

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This is the best trolling I have seen in sports (combat or otherwise) in a long time.

The main target is clearly ADCC as this thing was originally going to called the BDCC, but I'm guessing legal reasons put a stop to that, plus the appearance money is $10,001, a single dollar more that you get when win ADCC, plus it looks like it's being held on the same weekend as ADCC. Gordan is catching strays as well; does his pride get in the way and he sticks with ADCC for a much smaller purse or does he swallow it and compete at CJI?

Fucking glorious.

EDIT: Jones talking about CJI on the JRE.

Last edited:
This is the best trolling I have seen in sports (combat or otherwise) in a long time.

The main target is clearly ADCC as this thing was originally going to called the BDCC, but I'm guessing legal reasons put a stop to that, plus the appearance money is $10,001, a single dollar more that you get when win ADCC, plus it looks like it's being held on the same weekend as ADCC. Gordan is catching strays as well; does his pride get in the way and he sticks with ADCC for a much smaller purse or does he swallow it and compete at CJI?

Fucking glorious.

LMFAO at BDCC. This dude is awesome.

FFion has jumped ship now too
That's the crazy part. They got the women's champ and arguable best No gi grappler.

I think we see a few others jump across as more do. You would be silly not to if you have already medalled at ADCC or won it.

Fucking glorious.
Two time ADCC silver medalist. Maybe just salty he could never quite win it?

Two time ADCC silver medalist. Maybe just salty he could never quite win it?
By potentially paying every competitor 1 dollar more than if they won ADCC to just compete? Winner takes home a mil?

If it's a success it sets the standard in the future for grapplers to actually get paid well for competing in big events.

There is an element of trolling and I am sure he would have liked to have won, but part of it is actually setting grapplers up to earn money in the future.
I kinda like it to be honest even if they matched it up with the ADCC event.

By potentially paying every competitor 1 dollar more than if they won ADCC to just compete? Winner takes home a mil?

If it's a success it sets the standard in the future for grapplers to actually get paid well for competing in big events.

There is an element of trolling and I am sure he would have liked to have won, but part of it is actually setting grapplers up to earn money in the future.
I kinda like it to be honest even if they matched it up with the ADCC event.
The problem with pro grappling is that we already had real pro wrestling and it had to become worked for increasing entertainment value and building a market.
This will always be a niche sport for the hardcore. Even the level of grappling in MMA puts off many casuals so I cant ever see huge money coming into pure grappling events.

I'm just curious where the money is coming from. or is a lot of money being laundered that weekend.

As cool at it is, I'd be keener for a sustainable model. There's no point (except for the person that wins it) of a big prize and then all the money is blown from the industry and no one will put a event on for years. Look at what happened to Affliction or any of the promotions that threw big money at stars to go over.

One thing that a lot of athletes don't seem to get is that while they want to get paid more, the money may not necessarily be there.

The problem with pro grappling is that we already had real pro wrestling and it had to become worked for increasing entertainment value and building a market.
This will always be a niche sport for the hardcore. Even the level of grappling in MMA puts off many casuals so I cant ever see huge money coming into pure grappling events.

Being paid to be one of the best in your sport isn't the equivalent of pro wrestling. I get what you are trying to say, but it's more akin to boxing or MMA.
BJJ has become the new version of beer league sports for ageing males. People dislike it in MMA because they actually understand what they are watching more.
People boo because you can tell that someone is stalling the fight and not trying to finish.

ADCC was selling tickets for more than the price ($10001) that Craig is paying people to enter for certain spots. He is asking for the money from ADCC to go to athletes.

His comp pays $10,001 if you compete.

32 x10,001 is $320,032, plus a 1 mil prize. Not sure how that works with a womens division since they got the number 1 womans grappler to sign on. Decent money, but my understanding is he got the venue way cheaper than ADCCs and has done really well on getting this set up. We will see since it's going to be free on Youtube (apparently).

He is basically forcing ADCC to pay it's athletes if they want to keep anyone in the future. He hates Flo grappling (the streaming service for ADCC) because they take away athletes rights and keep the videos behind a paywall, plus they kinda suck as a service.. It's like how Olympic Judo matches are hidden behind a paywall and the athletes are limited from using their own comp footage.

I'm just curious where the money is coming from. or is a lot of money being laundered that weekend.

As cool at it is, I'd be keener for a sustainable model. There's no point (except for the person that wins it) of a big prize and then all the money is blown from the industry and no one will put a event on for years. Look at what happened to Affliction or any of the promotions that threw big money at stars to go over.

One thing that a lot of athletes don't seem to get is that while they want to get paid more, the money may not necessarily be there.
10,0001 x32 + a 1 mil prize (maybe 2 for women's).
That's not a ridiculous outgoing, but curious to see what they would actually make back.

10,0001 x32 + a 1 mil prize (maybe 2 for women's).
That's not a ridiculous outgoing, but curious to see what they would actually make back.
it's 1 million for the -80kg and 1 million for +80.
For women there is not tournament but only superfights.

Wonder if they plan on doing -77kg and -88kg like ADCC.
It sort of checks out so far, but that's gotta be at least some weight cutting for Luke.
Will be very interesting to see how the lineups play out.

They're not going to make any money.
Why not ? Tickets, sponsors, advertising not blocked behind the Flo grappling paywall.

It's still possible to make some sort of money.

Back