Cowboy's standup is literally the definition of stiff and uncoordinated

He got rocked badly against Guillard but hung in there to turn things around.
Yeah I’ll give him that. That was an exciting fight.

Post WEC Cowboy, I feel like he was a little more aggressive back then, had a bit of a chip on his shoulder though. Wasn’t the universally loved guy he is today and known for being quite the douchebag.

He's automatic.

He throws most things technically correct and answers how he's supposed to answer. He'll win more than he loses by being in generally, technically correct but unlikely to have the x-factor to take it far enough to win a title. I'm still pulling for the guy to win one though. Some last minute call up to shock the world ala Bisping.

That was bad as he ever looked. Even worse than vs Till. Don't know why it took so long for Justin to get him. One clean punch and Cerrone was going to get dropped and quit. He's got an awful team that never focuses on grappling.

I've given up on classic Gracie BJJ in the octagon...it's been all but neutralized at this point in my opinion except for a very few select guys who don't lay on bottom like a dead fish just trying not to die or the ones like BJ penn who are content always being out cold on their feet...

Hell even just basic knowledge of the rubber guard is probably as good as anything right now from a pure survival standpoint of not getting your face rearranged when in bottom position...classic Gracie BJJ without handholds doesn't do much to prevent the guy on top from creating space and pummeling you to death or forcing to give up your back etc

All these Shertards in here telling whats wrong with an all time legend striking. A pro who's fought all around the world before he was ever in the WEC or the UFC. Someone who has his own gym with the best fighters in the world training there. So yeah, Cowboy needs to fire everyone and listen to you losers that never fought once in y'alls lives.

Every casual friend I have says the same when sees Cowboy fighting.

And I understand it

He is a bully striker. They cant fight well going backward. Going backward make them mentalt weak(er).

Same with barboza, McGregor, pettis, ect

I dont like Cowboy a little bit
King of Cringe why does he always pull that :eek::eek::eek:ot act in the weigh ins where he tries to look alpha for the public, trying to look funny/over the situation but then immediately tries to be buddy buddy with his rival like scared of them.

You are either confident or not, this guy is like always testing waters trying to gain psychological advantage an immediately back pedals. Annoying af
{<jordan}

Everyone who watches mma knew that Gathje was a horrific match up for Cerrone. Justin punches so god damn hard it’s insane. Guy has flatlined 3 great fighters, and strikers mind you, in a row, and made it look easy. With regards to Cerrone, I hate to say it, but he does need to learn some straight boxing movement and completely incomporate that into his style. In no way shape or form is he incapable of doing just that. He is not done, again, Gathje is a monster and a nightmare matchup for him.

Cowboy was way more fluid at 170 I don't know why he went back down

i know Connie isn't well liked around these parts but let's be honest if Cowboy had more natural striking like prime Conor to go along with his skillset he would probably have a belt by now

I think Cowboy has more striking tools and better ground game but Conor appears to be the more fluid, effective striker. Conor seems more cerebral. Cowboy on a good night can cause problems for Conor. If Conor pressures heavy and early, he'd beat Cowboy.

Cowboy would be dumb not to use grappling.

Wow shertards really love to shit on people when they lose. But this is going full retard. Cowboy never really had a lot of time to adjust and Gaethje is super explosive with his striking. Give him a break ffs.

He ain't no dean of mean

not hating but man his form has always been so cringe to me...i'm not sure anything could or should be done to change him at this point but what do you guys think? any way to loosen him up a bit and make him strike more naturally? maybe some god damn yoga or watch some bruce lee movies or hire Conor's old coach that does grab ass on the beach?
His body moves like that.
There’s people who move stiff, cant go against that.

On second thought, salsa lessons would help tremendously to loosen his stiffness.

not hating but man his form has always been so cringe to me...i'm not sure anything could or should be done to change him at this point but what do you guys think? any way to loosen him up a bit and make him strike more naturally? maybe some god damn yoga or watch some bruce lee movies or hire Conor's old coach that does grab ass on the beach?

Stiff as a board. I think its part of the muay thai style to be super upright like that. His jab is pretty effective when he sticks too it. He's never gonna throw punches like Jeremy Stephens, just doesn't move the same way.

People keep posting gifs of past their prime journeyman getting ko'd by cerrone too prove he's a great stroker

Cowboy is like a video game character. All of his striking looks like someone is pressing a button for him to throw the strike. His head movement and footwork is so stiff. I dont understand at all why he pushed the fight against Justin at all. He could have stayed on the outside and picked him off with strikes all night. So weird.

Actually Gaethje is the on who is looks stiff, yet his obliterating dudes.

Slow and stiff, still top 5.

Back