Cowboy's standup is literally the definition of stiff and uncoordinated

I dont like Cowboy a little bit
King of Cringe why does he always pull that :eek::eek::eek:ot act in the weigh ins where he tries to look alpha for the public, trying to look funny/over the situation but then immediately tries to be buddy buddy with his rival like scared of them.

You are either confident or not, this guy is like always testing waters trying to gain psychological advantage an immediately back pedals. Annoying af

I guess it's easy to be alpha as fuck when you're the undisputed king of mom's basement.

He does seem to have tight shoulders. That combined with his tall stance and playful feints can make him seem a bit awkward. He's still one of the best combination strikers in the UFC, though.

Inb4 slow motion gif of combo on Rick Story

The Hyper slow-mo toon version for you to show how stiff & uncoordinated Cowboy can be...

Fgc6fQr.gif

That was bad as he ever looked. Even worse than vs Till. Don't know why it took so long for Justin to get him. One clean punch and Cerrone was going to get dropped and quit. He's got an awful team that never focuses on grappling.

Maybe in the first round, but once he gets in a rhythm he's kind of a beast. He has always been a slow starter. He needs that feeling out process to figure a guy out. It seems like he doesn't relax until he knows he's got it or something.

Cowboy's striking has looked great in other fights. Each fight is different. Sometimes your timing and distance feels off with certain opponents, especially in the first round. If I recall correctly, Al Iaquinta had his best moments very early in the fight but then Cowboy took over from rounds 2 to 5.

Unfortunately for Cowboy he got caught with a big punch in the first round with Gaethje.

Cowboy is a great fighter and is probably still top 10. No shame in losing to Gaethje who is also a great fighter.

You don't always post, but when you do, it is with knowledge and reason.

{<redford}

The issues lies more with his defense when striking. If you notice when he strings together a combo he always moves in with his hands down. Leaving the opponent to simply slip a punch and land.

Works perfectly fine if he lands and the opponent covers or moves away. Recipe for disaster if you're against anyone with the ability to defend/parry/slip and counter you.

Cowboy was always a slow starter and plus he doesn’t do good against pressure fighters as you can see in the gaethje and his other loses. Once he gets going his style becomes More fluid.

He get .., ok I don't want to say scared but I can't find a better word, sometimes he looks great and in front of certain fighters he looks scared, I can't forget the fight with Diaz
Tentative? I highly doubt Cowboy starts off slow due to fear. I think he just takes a bit of time to warm up and to get a read on his opponents, and then picks up the pace after a few minutes. Catching him when he's still "cold" is your best bet against him, in the standup.

I dont like Cowboy a little bit
King of Cringe why does he always pull that :eek::eek::eek:ot act in the weigh ins where he tries to look alpha for the public, trying to look funny/over the situation but then immediately tries to be buddy buddy with his rival like scared of them.

You are either confident or not, this guy is like always testing waters trying to gain psychological advantage an immediately back pedals. Annoying af
He comes across as a confident guy who loves to fight, but who isn't a dick for the sake of being a heel like the other WWE style trash talkers and meanmuggers. He's coming to beat your ass or get fucked up trying, but he doesn't have to hate you in order to do so. That's what the sport is about.

Maybe to some extend his striking is a little awkward, for example when he makes those short runs head first swinging punches, BUT he has great kicks and a solid jab, dropped bunch of people with it.
Overall I still think he is elite level, ans I also think he should wrestle and grapple more .

He’s got great technique in his strikes, but has the terrible habit very common among kickboxers where he keeps his head right on the center line.
He’s gotten a little better over the years...but goddamn it’s so frustrating to watch sometimes.

He is also a bully fighter, if things don’t go his way quickly he tends to check out shortly after.

He got rocked badly against Guillard but hung in there to turn things around.

Back