COVER song thread!

@ToxicShocker This is a pretty insane cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps with a pretty crazy backstory. I don't recall exactly but someone like Rolling Stone did a Top 100 guitarists of all time and they didn't put Prince on the list and he was pissed about it so when this collection of hall of fame musicians got together to do this cover, Prince went off and shredded this solo as sort of a statement about his abilities as a guitarist. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

So I know you are a fan of strange and unexplained phenomena so tell me, where do you think Prince's guitar went at the end of the song?

(I love watching the reactions of the rest of the band. You can see both Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty at different points give Prince that look like ok. lets bring it back home now but Prince just keeps going. And Dhani Harrison is loving every second of it)

So I know you are a fan of strange and unexplained phenomena so tell me, where do you think Prince's guitar went at the end of the song?

(I love watching the reactions of the rest of the band. You can see both Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty at different points give Prince that look like ok. lets bring it back home now but Prince just keeps going. And Dhani Harrison is loving every second of it)

The way I remember the story is that wasn't even Prince's guitar. He borrowed it from someone and then at the end he threw it in the air and someone caught it. I've seen other people post about it saying it was an incredibly Prince thing to do, meaning pretty rude. Wasn't even his guitar and he threw it.

The way I remember the story is that wasn't even Prince's guitar. He borrowed it from someone and then at the end he threw it in the air and someone caught it. I've seen other people post about it saying it was an incredibly Prince thing to do, meaning pretty rude. Wasn't even his guitar and he threw it.
Nah, it was his. I was just having a bit of fun with you. His guitar tech caught it:

Per explicit instructions from Prince, Takumi stood in the front row and caught the guitar...and then promptly handed it to Oprah Winfrey. Prince was known to toss many a guitar over the years, but this one deserves its own place in the R&R Hall of Fame. And I'll bet Takumi never dropped a guitar even once in all those years.

After he tosses the guitar and just before he exits the stage with his Princely confidence, you can see him cast a quick glance in the direction of his faithful and beloved guitar tech.

Ever the prankster, it was a gag. We all know how much Prince loved his guitars, especially that one, which was one of his first. Oprah gave the guitar back to Takumi, and it is enshrined at Paisley Park.

Nah, it was his. I was just having a bit of fun with you. His guitar tech caught it:

Per explicit instructions from Prince, Takumi stood in the front row and caught the guitar...and then promptly handed it to Oprah Winfrey. Prince was known to toss many a guitar over the years, but this one deserves its own place in the R&R Hall of Fame. And I'll bet Takumi never dropped a guitar even once in all those years.

After he tosses the guitar and just before he exits the stage with his Princely confidence, you can see him cast a quick glance in the direction of his faithful and beloved guitar tech.

Ever the prankster, it was a gag. We all know how much Prince loved his guitars, especially that one, which was one of his first. Oprah gave the guitar back to Takumi, and it is enshrined at Paisley Park.

Yea I knew someone caught it. Prince was known for being pretty detached and self absorbed. The guy supposedly had a vault full of unreleased songs because he was always writing and working on more music. His Super Bowl performance may be the best Super Bowl halftime show of all time.

Yea I knew someone caught it. Prince was known for being pretty detached and self absorbed. The guy supposedly had a vault full of unreleased songs because he was always writing and working on more music. His Super Bowl performance may be the best Super Bowl halftime show of all time.

Egotistical weird dudes make good music. So like in any other situation, as long as you're not a violent criminal, I don't care... If you entertain me you have succeed

He does indeed have a vault of unreleased material. His estate is going through the recordings and putting together releases for the fans. As a matter of fact, they are getting ready to release an album of songs Prince gave away. Free of charge. He could be detached and self absorbed but he could also be incredibly generous. This new album will include songs he gave to the Bangles, Kenny Rogers, Sinade O'Conner. Shelia E and others.

Another cover that I really liked was Disturbed's cover of The Sound of Silence. Especially the version on Conan.

Draiman should use that voice for better songs than Disturbed normally does.

Thanks for that. I had not seen that before. Draiman has a powerful voice and that was an excellent cover.

I wonder what Draiman's reaction was to the fact that dozens upon dozens of hours of investment in the studio version of that song was completely eclipsed by the first recording of it performed live.

I bet he was like - "Fuck, just should have played it live."

Goddamn but this is incredible. Michael Hedges. Died all to soon at the age of 44. One of a kind musician. Played the Harp Guitar

hqdefault.jpg

Not the original version, but another band's rendition of that song. But you all know what cover songs are, right?
The cover doesn't have to be *better* than the original.

Misfits original of London Dungeon

Prongs cover of London Dungeon

Back