Couture vs toney question (spoiler)

chino3

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Did Randy just get his black belt?!?

Another symbolic MMA BB.

*yawn*

it was for comic relief.. randy was laughing it off, so was the guy who gave it to him

It was definitely done as a joke...but no one would argue in principle. The guy hung with Jacare afterall...

It was a joke, just for laughs, take it easy everybody :)

I don't think that was a joke. Neil Melanson has his own style of catch/no-gi and awards ranks for it. He is not a bjj guy. That was not a BJJ belt. That was a belt in Neil's grappling style and it was well deserved IMO.

I don't think that was a joke. Neil Melanson has his own style of catch/no-gi and awards ranks for it. He is not a bjj guy. That was not a BJJ belt. That was a belt in Neil's grappling style and it was well deserved IMO.

Neil has a stripe system to go on shorts. It's possible he's awarded a black stripe to Randy.

We'll probably find out in the post fight press conference coming up.

Neil gave him a black belt in his grappling system.

Who here would say he has not earned it for years of service in the sport. He has beaten BJJ black belts. Hell, he schooled Vitor Belfort who was supposed to be the second coming of BJJ Jesus according to Carlson.

he looked into it for about three months if i can remember, he looked at the take down aspect of it but no so much holding them there.

Who here would say he has not earned it for years of service in the sport. He has beaten BJJ black belts. Hell, he schooled Vitor Belfort who was supposed to be the second coming of BJJ Jesus according to Carlson.

Hum, Vitor was never a phenomen in BJJ.

If you go on xtreme couture website, Neil explains the reason behing the stripes system in his grappling system.

Neil has health issues that stops him from competing.

Well, not many would, but the OP's question was if he had officially received one.

has neilson won anything comp wise?

Who's neilson?

Neil Melanson is a judo / hayatstan blackbelt under Karo Parysian / Gokor / Gene LeBell.

I'm not sure about sub wrestling comp, but he doesn't compete because he's blind in one eye and has an auto immune disease. He wanted to compete in MMA until he was struck down by this disease a few years ago.

that was a bjj blackbelt because it had the red bar

Couture just confirmed the blackbelt was in Neils' Catch Wrestling based system.

Back