Couture vs toney question (spoiler)

Ihave no problem with belts in nogi styles. Naga hands out katanas and yet we dont duel with swords. It is a symbol

Ihave no problem with belts in nogi styles. Naga hands out katanas and yet we dont duel with swords. It is a symbol

I think it defeats the purpose of what Melanson is trying to do though.

He's trying to bring an awareness to and promote catch wrestling. In order to do that you need something that is instantly recognizable with wrestling.

When someone wears a Mongkong and tassels to the ring you know he is representing Muay Thai.

A Gi and belt represent Judo or BJJ.

Sambo a Gi/Kurtka and shorts.

Boxing, one boxing glove.

It can be a singlet, wrestling shoes, headgear, a pro wrestling type gold plated title belt but something that represents wrestling.

Other then the hardcores fans, most viewers are just going to assume his awarding the belt is because he is representing BJJ.

The belt is just symbolic same as 10th JJ.

Neil uses stripes that you put on the shorts.

Did you watch the vids?

What vids?

I watched UFC 118 and he awarded a black belt. I would think most people would be confused by that (into thinking Randy is a BJJ blackbelt now). In fact the hardcore fans on here seemed confused as well.

I was pretty far from the TV myself and at first I thought Randy was back with Drysdale and Drysdale gave him the belt.

What vids?

I watched UFC 118 and he awarded a black belt. I would think most people would be confused by that (into thinking Randy is a BJJ blackbelt now). In fact the hardcore fans on here seemed confused as well.

I was pretty far from the TV myself and at first I thought Randy was back with Drysdale and Drysdale gave him the belt.

the vid of neil explaining his stripes system which were posted at the beginning of the thread.

Josh Barnett entered a Gi tournament with no formal training in the Gi. Paulson gave him his blackbelt JUST so he could enter. Paulson got his blackbelt from Rigan Machado and I don't believe he's trained in the Gi since the early 1990's when he started out in Rigan's garage or wherever, and before that out of Royce's garage in California.

I love it when Catch guys think they know everything about Barnett.

Youve got your facts wrong.

Barnett showed up the CA Classic because he thought it was a NOGI tournament. Josh had been competing (dominating) some small shows here in the South Bay/North OC area for a few months before that. I have personally seen him compete twice at tournaments i was also competing at. As a matter of fact, this forum's own Sean Roberts fought Josh in the Advanced Open Weight division at Grappling X in October 2009.

But anyway...

When he showed up, he didnt know it was GI. So he was loaned a GI, and a Black Belt, and fought Romulo Barral in the open weight final.

There was a bit of contreversy, bad calls by the ref not awarding points, then drama with how the advantages were scored, Barnett's illegal heelhook, etc...

Anywho, he lost the match, but jacked up Romulo's knee(or ankle was it?)

But regardless, yeah.. Thats the facts from Josh's one and only GI tournament.

In the case of Couture I still don't think it's a stunt, I think it was more of a joke. To me Melanson giving the belt was because it was a more visual gag. I mean he draped it over Couture's shoulders and around his neck. There was no ceremony to it at all.

Just giving him a stripe wouldn't have meant anything as a gag or otherwise. To me because so many are up in arms about it means the gag worked.

How can it be a gag, and not also be considered a stunt for publicity? Are you gonna try to say Melanson didnt know Randy's fight was gonna be in front of 500k people?

I also think with Melanson we're going to need to see more of his students and see how they do before we can pass judgment either way. I've never once claimed he's an awesome catch wrestler or awesome teacher because obviously I don't know. All I know is he claims to be a Catch wrestler, and says he trained under Karo, Gokor and LeBell.

Using a colour scheme that exists in Judo and other belt arts is just a matter of being able to work out where you are in that art and it's relation to similar arts. Saying you're a black stripe in Catch Wrestling of a Black Belt in BJJ doesn't actally mean anything to me because I know it's not some be all and end all, and I know not all black belts are equal in ability. As with any sport it should all be about time put in and progress in that time.

Well at least we agree on that.

Id like to see how this continues to play out. Hopefully his backround will be clairified as well.

But just for the record, im not calling the guy a fraud, or anything of the sort. Just generally curious about him.

He has kinda thrown himself into the spotlight it seems, so i hope no one is getting the wrong idea about all the questions we have for him.

Yeah I know nefti. It just seems like a double standard.

also let's not forget one of the reasons why Danaher was respected without a great comp record, the fact that he is a Renzo Gracie black belt and Renzo trusts him to run/teach at his school. Neil doesn't state his background and it's not like Gokor/Judo Gene trusts him to teach at their school.

Last edited:
also let's not forget one of the reasons why Danaher was respected without a great comp record, the fact that he is a Renzo Gracie black belt and Renzo trusts him to run/teach at his school. Neil doesn't state his background and it's not like Gokor/Judo Gene trusts him to teach at their school.

Draculino said in his fporum that he saw Danaher tapped out BJJ world champions at training in the Renzo Academy.

Do we need to say more??

Back