Couture vs toney question (spoiler)

I remember before that Randy Couture was training catch wrestling, and I was like "WTF? Is that a BJJ black belt?" last night. But yeah this thread cleared a lot of things - he is still training sub wrestling/catch, and it's a black belt in their grappling system.

You know, it's amazing...I keep hearing how awesome John Danaher is and all that jazz, yet unless I am not looking hard enough I cant find HIS competition videos either!

Can you post a link so I can judge his credentials by competition videos too?

yea but John started jiu jitsu after grad school... he was an old man when he started training. the other guy is fairly young.

Last edited:
as long as its recognized for what it ACTUALLY is and not anything different then i am not bothered about it.

yea but John started jiu jitsu after grad school... he was an old man when he started training. the other guy is fairly young.

So you are saying you CAN teach and not compete and still be legit, right?

BTW arent there age divisions?

Marketing stunt for Melanson/Extreme Couture brand sub grappling.

What's so wrong about them implementing a belt style ranking system? As a previous poster said, Judo did it first. Therefore, anything after that could be considered as ripping it off. Why don't BJJ guys go by color of the gi instead? 10PJJ does shirts, there are shorts of the various colors out there to signify ranking. I have an answer - because it doesn't matter.

Nobody wigs out when karate has BBs, so let the catch guys have it too. Randy has been doing various forms of submission wrestling for quite some time, and has used submissions to finish fights in the cage. Just like most reasonable people would say that Matt Hughes is a BB level in no-gi, Randy Couture is as well, its good that there's some recognition in his system for that.

So you are saying you CAN teach and not compete and still be legit, right?

BTW arent there age divisions?

oh yea no doubt, but he seems fairly young. As for age divisions... no one really cares about the older divisions...

Neil has some cool ideas: The science of violence in grappling. If you get bored, skip to 6:20 for the interesting stuff.

oh yea no doubt, but he seems fairly young. As for age divisions... no one really cares about the older divisions...

pppffft.... he's a young man even 10yrs after graduating from grad school.

Yeah I know nefti. It just seems like a double standard.

I knew nothing about couture's Bjj experience , and i thought he received a legit BB ....
To bad.. i thought it was a cool moment.

I knew nothing about couture's Bjj experience , and i thought he received a legit BB ....
To bad.. i thought it was a cool moment.

who cares if it's a bjj belt if it's a legit belt to a legit grappler from a reputable source. the world does not revolve around bjj.

Yeah I know nefti. It just seems like a double standard.

yea i took a look at his website and it seemed to have little to no info on his background. Gorkor makes alot more sense now.

Back