Could Romero Be The GOAT Middleweight?

Hi Tim, hope you're enjoying your post-fight career.

Just don't come back to MMA and get KTFO by a Welterweight again <45>

finish-of-kennedy.gif
I like Yoel.
I have a question: How can you deny that he hasn't done some extremely fishy things?
It seems that you have a problem with reality.
How can Yoel be the GOAT with his track record?

I like Yoel.
Unlike you, I have no problem with reality.
Yoel has done some very questionable things that take him out of the GOAT conversation in my opinion.
You may disagree, fine with me.

He's beaten everyone put in front of him except Robert Whittaker (and Whittaker himself is a beast, and it was a close fight anyway), and that includes names like Jacare, Weidman, and now Rockhold. What major name is there left at Middleweight other than avenging his loss to Whittaker? Mousasi is gone and Bisping is too scared to ever fight Yoel. There's a rematch with Jacare because of how close their first fight was, and obviously the aforementioned rematch with Whittaker, but otherwise Yoel already rules the roost.

To do what he does at his age is even more incredible. Could Yoel Romero be the Middleweight GOAT? Is there any Middleweight in history that you don't think he could beat? I believe he beats who everyone considers the MW GOAT, Anderson Silva, quite easily. He'd beat everyone Silva beat as well. Hell, he'd beat everyone that Silva lost to, too! He already destroyed the guy that ended Silva's reign and finished him twice, hahaha!
I thought he lost to Jacare, at best had a draw if you give the first round a 10-8 for Romero.

I didn't think he beat Jacare (even though the fight was really close), but that's second to the fact that Whitaker just beat Romero.

I guess my big question is why aren't you asking if Whitaker is the MW goat? That makes more sense since Whitaker just beat him and more convincingly beat Jacare.

I thought he lost to Jacare and did lose to Whittaker who was injured. I'm going with Whittaker as greatest ATM. No one will do what Silva did so he's GOAT. Romero would be like 47 to even defend that much.

People put too much into the sheer number of title defenses someone has. It's who you beat, not just how many people you beat. Weidman, Rockhold, and Jacare > Virtually anyone Silva ever beat. Just because there wasn't a championship on the line when he beat them doesn't make them any less significant. Most of Silva's opponents weren't that good in hindsight.

Considering the never won a the MW title?? No.because you got Anderson. Winning a title isnt everything, for example I regard Romero higher than Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold now and they were champs. But Anderson was on top for 7 years and defended 10/11 times, that means he was the performing at the highest level possible and defending that title. Romero has been doing that as well fighting the best, but he's not doing it as champ.

People put too much into the sheer number of title defenses someone has. It's who you beat, not just how many people you beat. Weidman, Rockhold, and Jacare > Virtually anyone Silva ever beat. Just because there wasn't a championship on the line when he beat them doesn't make them any less significant. Most of Silva's opponents weren't that good in hindsight.

Those fighters you're talking about weren't around at the time. Instead Silva beat Sonnen x2, Planted a beautiful foot in prime Vitor's face, beat Franklin x2, Maia, Cote, Leben, Henderson, and Laites. That is an impressive resume.

Those fighters you're talking about weren't around at the time. Instead Silva beat Sonnen x2, Planted a beautiful foot in prime Vitor's face, beat Franklin x2, Maia, Cote, Leben, Henderson, and Laites. That is an impressive resume.

Well, Weidman was. He finished Anderson twice lol.

Jacare and Rockhold, I'm not sure Silva gets past either.

This forum is bonkers. Yoel's wins:

Fights a glass chin Rockhold who was 1-1 in his previous two fights, getting KO'd stiff in one and bounced around in the other.

Whittaker - young, strong, good streak - loses to him, gets rocked in this fight.

Weidman - was KO'd and beaten savagely for the first time in the fight before facing Yoel.

Jacare - should have been a draw.

Machida - coming off a stoppage loss where he has his shit pushed in before getting choked out.

Kennedy - cheated big time in this fight, several times - even got to take a longer rest than the other fighter.

His biggest wins are all against guys who were coming off huge losses.

Good points except for the Kennedy fight.

Yoel did rest longer than he should have but it was Kennedy grabbing Yoel's gloves that allowed him to land those flush uppercuts in the first place.

BAsically ... Kennedy cheated first thus Yoel deserves a pass for cheating against the original cheater.

Well, Weidman was. He finished Anderson twice lol.

Jacare and Rockhold, I'm not sure Silva gets past either.

It's hard to compare fighters from different eras, but when Anderson lost to Weidman, he'd already been fighting for sixteen years.

Bear in mind, many many knowledgeable boxing fans consider Sugar Ray Robinson the GOAT boxer, but I doubt many believe he'd beat modern boxers.

Anderson Silva has:

• Fight of the Night (Four times)
  • Submission of the Night (Two times)
  • Most Knockout of the Night Awards in the UFC (Seven times)
  • Most consecutive title defenses (10)
  • Most successful title defenses (10)
  • Most finishes in UFC title fights (9)
  • Most finishes in the UFC (14)
  • Most finishes in the UFC Middleweight division (10)
  • Most consecutive wins in the UFC (16)
  • Longest win streak in UFC history (16)
  • Highest significant strike accuracy in UFC (67.8%)
  • Most knockdowns landed in UFC History (17)

Romero is nowhere close to being MW GOAT.

You don't automatically become GOAT by being able to beat the GOAT, either. Has nothing to do with that.

• Most consecutive wins in the UFC (16)
  • Longest win streak in UFC history (16)
Whats the difference between these two?

As it stands no. He's technically not even the best of his era with the title loss to Whittaker. His legacy rides pretty heavily on that rematch

Good points except for the Kennedy fight.

Yoel did rest longer than he should have but it was Kennedy grabbing Yoel's gloves that allowed him to land those flush uppercuts in the first place.

BAsically ... Kennedy cheated first thus Yoel deserves a pass for cheating against the original cheater.

No it wasn't. People need to stop spreading this bullshit lie.

He's beaten everyone put in front of him except Robert Whittaker (and Whittaker himself is a beast, and it was a close fight anyway), and that includes names like Jacare, Weidman, and now Rockhold. What major name is there left at Middleweight other than avenging his loss to Whittaker? Mousasi is gone and Bisping is too scared to ever fight Yoel. There's a rematch with Jacare because of how close their first fight was, and obviously the aforementioned rematch with Whittaker, but otherwise Yoel already rules the roost.

To do what he does at his age is even more incredible. Could Yoel Romero be the Middleweight GOAT? Is there any Middleweight in history that you don't think he could beat? I believe he beats who everyone considers the MW GOAT, Anderson Silva, quite easily. He'd beat everyone Silva beat as well. Hell, he'd beat everyone that Silva lost to, too! He already destroyed the guy that ended Silva's reign and finished him twice, hahaha!
I love how people want to declare a fighter who has no title defenses a GOAT. If Silva is eligible for GOAT, then it is not even close. If its not Silva, then Dan Henderson is the GOAT middleweight for his dominance in PRIDE.

Back