Could Romero Be The GOAT Middleweight?

I feel like if started MMA and won 2 or 3 fights, i could legitimately ask the question how many more wins do i need to become GOAT.

Everybody and their mom can't be GOAT, Romero isn't, or whittaker, stipe, khabib, even DC.

DC is the only one of that group who should even be in the conversation. But anytime someone strings together a couple of top wins you start hearing GOAT talks. It takes more than that.

If he beats Robert, then he has a case.

If Rob beats him again, then you could also argue that Whittaker > Silva. (based on level of competition)

Their rematch is huge in the course of MW history

that rematch would be something else, like GSP v BJ 2 or Wand v. Page 2.

Staph and broken leg .... that rematch may be a while away. too bad

He’s a hall of famer already but not GOAT.

I feel like if started MMA and won 2 or 3 fights, i could legitimately ask the question how many more wins do i need to become GOAT.

Everybody and their mom can't be GOAT, Romero isn't, or whittaker, stipe, khabib, even DC.

DC is the only one of that group who should even be in the conversation. But anytime someone strings together a couple of top wins you start hearing GOAT talks. It takes more than that.

That's why I specifically said Middleweight GOAT.

Hi Tim, hope you're enjoying your post-fight career.

Just don't come back to MMA and get KTFO by a Welterweight again <45>

finish-of-kennedy.gif

Like Kelvin wouldn’t starch your ass. I don’t see why losing a fight is treated as such on here. It’s not like he was embarrassed every moment leading up to the finish.

He's up there, but its impossible to put him ahead of Whittaker at this point. Now if he beats Whittaker in the rematch you could make a case for him being number two behind Anderson.

But he's nowhere close to having Anderson's results.

This forum is bonkers. Yoel's wins:

Fights a glass chin Rockhold who was 1-1 in his previous two fights, getting KO'd stiff in one and bounced around in the other.

Whittaker - young, strong, good streak - loses to him, gets rocked in this fight.

Weidman - was KO'd and beaten savagely for the first time in the fight before facing Yoel.

Jacare - should have been a draw.

Machida - coming off a stoppage loss where he has his shit pushed in before getting choked out.

Kennedy - cheated big time in this fight, several times - even got to take a longer rest than the other fighter.

His biggest wins are all against guys who were coming off huge losses.

The guy has huge problems making weight for 185. He needs to move up to LHW, but he is too short and will get smashed.

He isn't near the MW GOAT, whether he wins or not.

He may have beat Weidman, but with 3 title defenses to his resume, he is still behind him.

Murilo Bustamante is ahead of him.

And let's not forget that Anderson Silva played Fedor to Rich Franklin's Nogueira.

Without the Spider, Ace is most likely the MW GOAT. And he stands tall at #2 regardless.

Time is not on his side. Even if he beats Whitaker he would have to make several title defenses before you start talking about GOAT Middleweight
LOL. A guy without ever having a strap. With a clear loss to the current champ, with a PED history, a weight scandal, and a highly questionable between rounds scandal the GOAT????

What does Romero smear on his balls that keeps you guys coming back to suckle?
Who cares about the belt? Brock went 1-1 and then got a shot against a 90 year old. Romero went 8-0 before he got his. Does anyone think Lesnar has had a better UFC career than Romero?

Like Kelvin wouldn’t starch your ass. I don’t see why losing a fight is treated as such on here. It’s not like he was embarrassed every moment leading up to the finish.

Because the new fans in MMA are only here for the hyped fighters like McGregor and Ronda. The UFC is doing a great job of making MMA fighters they want to promote rockstars, and it will stay that way, because the casual fan buys into it. Great advertising. Fighting has become secondary to the org.

Ben Askren can attest to that.

Also, most of them are millenials who come from the generation participation trophies, and never played sports...let alone step into a gym.

Being punched hurts, and this is an all talk no walk generation.

Let me ask all of you that fought competitively here: Did you learn more from a win or a loss?

I know my first ass kicking taught me a lot about myself. These kids don't know shit about something like that. They know that N'gannou hits harder than anyone ever, Ronda was a once in a lifetime fighter and McGregor is the greatest ever despite never once defending his belt and getting his ass kicked by a near 50 year old Mayweather that carried him through most of the rounds.

Common Core education + advertising conditioning + unearned accolades - physical endeavors = Most of the sherdog UFC nut garblers.

Yes!
Why not?
Everybody can be GOAT, according to Sherdog.

Who cares about the belt? Brock went 1-1 and then got a shot against a 90 year old. Romero went 8-0 before he got his. Does anyone think Lesnar has had a better UFC career than Romero?
Where talking about GOAT, belts matter unless your talking about Fedor. And Brock is never in a GOAT discussion

Anderson Silva has:

• Fight of the Night (Four times)
  • Submission of the Night (Two times)
  • Most Knockout of the Night Awards in the UFC (Seven times)
  • Most consecutive title defenses (10)
  • Most successful title defenses (10)
  • Most finishes in UFC title fights (9)
  • Most finishes in the UFC (14)
  • Most finishes in the UFC Middleweight division (10)
  • Most consecutive wins in the UFC (16)
  • Longest win streak in UFC history (16)
  • Highest significant strike accuracy in UFC (67.8%)
  • Most knockdowns landed in UFC History (17)

Romero is nowhere close to being MW GOAT.

You don't automatically become GOAT by being able to beat the GOAT, either. Has nothing to do with that.

Nice stats, but a case can be made that Romero’s success has came in the “golden era” of the MW division. He has faced better opposition in succession than Silva did.

If you want to scrutinize Silva’s defenses, you’re looking at the following:

-Lutter (Lutter who?)
-MW Maia(nothing to offer in the wrestling department as a MW)
-2x’s Chael (biggest fraud of opponent ever)
-Leites (would be outclassed by today’s top MW’s(
-Cote (solid veteran but would still get worked by any current MW even on his best day)
-Vitor (we see what happens to Vitor when he’s off the roids)

Hendo, Marquardt and Franklin were his best victories. I really do think most of those guys wouldn’t crack the top 5 today and his strength of opponents is questionable. Though Romero has done it without a belt to defend, his run just seems a bit more impressive, when you take the opposition into account.

Man, you do love those Chocolate salty Romero balls don't you.

Sherdog once again showing they have the memory of a goldfish.

Yoel needs like 7 more years to even reach the amount of accomplishments Silva produced. And this is coming from a huge Yoel fan.

This forum is bonkers. Yoel's wins:

Fights a glass chin Rockhold who was 1-1 in his previous two fights, getting KO'd stiff in one and bounced around in the other.

Whittaker - young, strong, good streak - loses to him, gets rocked in this fight.

Weidman - was KO'd and beaten savagely for the first time in the fight before facing Yoel.

Jacare - should have been a draw.

Machida - coming off a stoppage loss where he has his shit pushed in before getting choked out.

Kennedy - cheated big time in this fight, several times - even got to take a longer rest than the other fighter.

His biggest wins are all against guys who were coming off huge losses.

It's really easy to undercut Sliva's wins as well. Fact is, Romero's resume is as impressive or more impressive than Silva's. It's hard to hear, but it's true. Strength of schedule matters.

Personally, I 'd have Silva ahead of Romero, but I think there are valid arguments the other way that are not easily dismissed.

It strange how people think winning a rematch proves youre better and wipes away the loss.

Prime PED failure and prime loss really hurts a goat candidate imo.

He is an absolute beast and would have given prime Silva all he could handle. I would favor him over Silva actually.

He didn't beat Jacare though. Bs decision.

It's really easy to undercut Sliva's wins as well. Fact is, Romero's resume is as impressive or more impressive than Silva's. It's hard to hear, but it's true. Strength of schedule matters.

Personally, I 'd have Silva ahead of Romero, but I think there are valid arguments the other way that are not easily dismissed.

Whooping a bunch of guys who were coming off soul crushing wins isn't as impressive as say Conor starching Aldo and Eddie who were on a roll.

Right, AS never had early career setbacks, especially not against Japanese pro wrasslers.
Not denying that, but for people to say Romero would have run through those opponents Anderson did is flat out wrong because he wouldn't have. Fighters evolve so it wouldn't be fair to compare how current Romero would do against Anderson's opposition. That's like asking how prime Anderson do against Romeros old opposition.

Back