Could DC beat Jones if he doesn't gas?

It's not like DC wasn't in shape. Jones made Cormier, a two time Olympic wrestle, gas out which is an accomplishment in itself. The King of Grind.

Hahaha this fight wasn't really that close.

0 knockdowns - check
0 close submission attempts - check
0 bruises or serious swellings - check
went the distance - check
finished with both fighters exchanging and neither backing out - check

Its as close as they get brother

0 knockdowns - check

It really isn't.

0 knockdowns - check

Maybe this is how you define close but I saw one guy completely impose his will for two rounds and IMO clearly win two more. Even if you say the first three were close, Jones was the one to implement his game plan more effectively and it showed in the championship rounds. Again, even Cormier himself acknowledges this.

Jones has said (and done in other fights) that he likes to fight guys were they're strong. I tend to believe this to be true based off of watching his fights. In this one, like he said, he wanted to grind Cormier out. No way, IMO, he couldn't tee off on DC like in the Glover fight. I mean, he really didn't even try. He literally held DC for most of the last two rounds and a small part of the third.

0 knockdowns - check

He gassed out Cormier. Made him quit.

When you're down on the score cards and you're putting all you energy into a TD with seconds left it means you're content to lose.

Jones stole his will to win.

That's worse than getting KOed or subbed.

yes and avoid the clinch ... but its hard to do so Cormier got a lot of work

When you're down on the score cards and you're putting all you energy into a TD with seconds left it means you're content to lose.

This.

You do realize that Jones beat the crap out of DC's midsection, right? He didn't simply gas.

I think if DC had a better gas-tank last night, he would've probably won. However, even if he improves his gas-tank in the future (unlikely at his age), Jones would've improved as well, which would still make Jones the probable victor in a hypothetical future match-up.

He gassed because he fought at an unsustainable pace for the first 2 rounds whilst sucking up bodyshots, and did no damage to bones in the process.

Fighting at an unsustainable pace only works if you fuck the other guy up for those first couple of rounds, but he wasn't able to do that because Jones is the better wrestler.

At first I would have said no, but even Cormier admitted it wasn't his gas tank, but those shots to the ribs that tired him out.

His problem wasn't really gassing

What DC needed to beat Jones was another 2-3" in height, and 5+" in reach, in exchange for some blubber.

You could tell in the clinch, that Daniel had to stand up straight with underhooks, raising his centre of gravity and diminishing his balance and control. Not to mention there is no real forward pressure when standing tall like that. You have to drive in to the person.

Jones on the other hand has a deeper driving position even from holding overhooks than DC with underhooks.

I've been trying to tell you guys for a long time now.

Jones is too tall and too reachy. Physics is on his side.

DC could fight the uphill battle against worse opponenets, but the disadvantage is too severe against Jones, who is also closer to his skill level, which just exacerbates the original frame issue.

Much like the poster above you, you are saying nothing. Thing like "stole his will" are non existent in a fight where points are being counted and damage can be visibly seen.

Jones did not outpoint him, didn't beat him, nothing radical happened. Just two people huffin n puffin for 5 rounds trying not to lose. DC didn't do what I expected either.

I am starting to really dislike the UFC type MMA. I don't know if the cage makes them fight like that, or maybe the threat of losing sponsors and losing much needed money but fights are not fights anymore.

I really don't see much difference between Jones, Gus and DC. They are very close.

His problem wasn't really gassing

What DC needed to beat Jones was another 2-3" in height, and 5+" in reach, in exchange for some blubber.

You could tell in the clinch, that Daniel had to stand up straight with underhooks, raising his centre of gravity and diminishing his balance and control. Not to mention there is no real forward pressure when standing tall like that. You have to drive in to the person.

Jones on the other hand has a deeper driving position even from holding overhooks than DC with underhooks.

I've been trying to tell you guys for a long time now.

Jones is too tall and too reachy. Physics is on his side.

DC could fight the uphill battle against worse opponenets, but the disadvantage is too severe against Jones, who is also closer to his skill level, which just exacerbates the original frame issue.

Possibly, but Cormier didn't have problems with the HWs of similar heights in the clinch. I think Cormier gassed because of the shots to the ribs.

I hate these decisions .... Even though I don't like Jones, I would have been happier if he won in a devastating fashion rather than this limbo shit.

Now we have 3 fighters in LHW (Jones, Gus, DC) that are close, and no one is clearly better than the other.

umm I'm pretty sure Jon Jones is better. You know, the one who beat the other 2.

Back