• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Could anyone break this tutorial by MJ White?

you mean him throwing light punches to simply show the difference between telegraphing and not telegraphing? lmao

yep totally all about the arm punching...
why do so many people get butthurt when a small criticism of their style is made rather than just acknowledging the core of what is said is correct? in this case that's 'telegraphing bad'

Then why did this karate champion at 0:26 get his "head bashed in", if Karate mechanics is so superior with its untelegraphed punches?

And MJWs punch suck even by Karate standards. Also shows how excessive muscles get in the way. He would probably punch far better without all that bulk

[

I got that from his demonstration in the video...

Not sure how you got that, because both of the punches he threw were arm punches. He didnt rotate the legs on either really because hes not talking about the legs. Hes talking about elbow flare and how lifting your arm away from your torso is a telegraphing motion, and hes correct.

Where there is grey area is if boxers are TAUGHT precisely to throw this way, but IMO he was generalizing. This is often just not corrected. So, the boxers trainers' are allowing them to form a bad habit. I've seen this first-hand spending all day in a prestigious gym. It's quite common nowadays.

Keeping the elbow close to the torso as a straight punch extends is absolutely correct for boxing. Its not a controversial assessment.

He would beat the brakes off Floyd Mayweather too. It's a meaningless statement.

Slightly more meaningful than your strawman and ad-hominem criticisms here. You brought up credibility without a leg to crane-kick on.

Where there is grey area is if boxers are TAUGHT precisely to throw this way, but IMO he was generalizing. This is often just not corrected. So, the boxers trainers' are allowing them to form a bad habit.

Nor do martial arts instructors.

He didnt rotate the legs on either really because hes not talking about the legs.

Like that's the only problem with his technique.... All that upperbody bulk to no use in that technique. He is not fit to teach punching in a saturday night Karate dojo, let alone boxing. I aint messing with his kicks though.

Slightly more meaningful than your strawman and ad-hominem criticisms here. Y.

There are guys his size who've shit their pants when they tried to bully me in training with their strength advantage and I had enough of it. Big guys are the least lethal dudes. It's the lanky, skinny dudes that are dangerous in gyms.

Then why did this karate champion at 0:26 get his "head bashed in", if Karate mechanics is so superior with its untelegraphed punches?

And MJWs punch suck even by Karate standards. Also shows how excessive muscles get in the way. He would probably punch far better without all that bulk

[

oh gosh guys look! he found a YT video! discussion over.

i agree large muscles get in the way for a fighter, but his profession is acting, not fighting, and when you act in action shows and movies, big muscles tend to look good...that doesn't change the fact that what he said about telegraphing is true.

get over it, a karateka said something about boxers.

There are guys his size who've shit their pants when they tried to bully me in training with their strength advantage and I had enough of it. Big guys are the least lethal dudes. It's the lanky, skinny dudes that are dangerous in gyms.
oh so you're a 100 level street fighter, now we've got your credentials. did you also go into the woods for a secret kumite with a duffel bag and come back with a trophy?

oh gosh guys look! he found a YT video! discussion over.

i agree large muscles get in the way for a fighter, but his profession is acting, not fighting, and when you act in action shows and movies, big muscles tend to look good...that doesn't change the fact that what he said about telegraphing is true.

get over it, a karateka said something about boxers.

He claims to be a martial artist first, actor second. Those muscles will most likely work against him, ironically enough most of all in clinches/ grappling.

He claims to be a martial artist first, actor second. Those muscles will most likely work against him, ironically enough most of all in clinches/ grappling.
thats fine he says that, but he doesn't make his living as a martial artist, but now you're literally just looking to argue about stupid shit just because you don't like that he said something about boxers you disagree with.

OMG 4 fucking pages of this ego ranting?

Don't telegraph or use sloppy technique!

Whether you hear and learn it from a grizzled old coach or a Hollywood hero.

WTF's the problem?

Remember the last time, 8 months ago when we said this exact thing then? :p

Well, I didn't watched tutorial, just less than minute from posted clip. Don't feel necessity to watch.

LOL, what a war about muscles?
Damme too when started as actor, developed bigger muscles than before this.
Large muscles are popular for films, look how famous Arnie is thanks to excellent muscles! Nothing wrong with this.

[

Yeah, this is the stupidest boxing punch vs. karate punch post ever. This isn't you. Oh, it is you.<{cruzshake}>

I guess the theme is boxing over karate in TSF. You should know better.<{danayeah}>

This post must be for me.
Because he's not doing karate.

Pass.

Boxing punches can be more physically powerful than karate punches. So what, to the idiot who quoted Black Belt Magazine.

The idiot goes on to say that karate punches, therefore, are still trained the karate way inspite of a Black-Belt Article... BECAUSE of:
Wait, the video disappeared...
  • Tradition,
  • Culture,
  • Way it way always done... whatever, blah, blah???
IOW, the idiot doesn't know an iota about what actually makes karate tick... jumps to the same ole junior high level rhetorical fill-in-the-blank. Dah, dah, dah, the masters of karate were dummies, blah, blah, blah.

The karate competitor in the 2nd video, now only video, says he learned acceleration only. YEP BUD, you in your minuscule, sports-mined competitive world didn't learn karate. You did drills to do stuff fast-ly, like all the equal numb skulls you competed against. GIGO.

My advice to MMA, etc. Don't do karate if you're stupid. There is no cure in karate for stupid.<{Joewithit}><{Joewithit}>

Last edited:
Remember the last time, 8 months ago when we said this exact thing then? :p
I actually incorporated that concept into my limited, past his prime striking practice, jeez, 5 years ago after seeing that clip. I'd just gotten into a rut and needed to slow down, and focus on moving as little as possible before launching. I guess I could get more power by winding up some, but I've tested my refinements on the heavy bag and I wouldn't want to get cracked to many times like that. Someone posted a Karate travailing Tsuki that stymied guys trying to defend it in very controlled demo's. Same thing, the strike is coming straight at you which causes a delayed reaction cause it's hard to see movement straight on.
Gotta incorporate the movement with the low telegraph I've worked already.

We were working on Atemi Waza(striking) at the Judo club I go to now and working this double jab, straight, hook, slip combo. The Dan I worked with was like "that's a double jab" I'm like "yeah you're not registering the first one"

The shit is real, it's just who from and how you learn it and I'm no striking guru anymore!

The thread seemed to go from telegraphing into karate punching vs. boxing punching which is better. Before that, MJW is great vs. MJW is a buffoon.

I threw up some perspective about the telegraphing and then about MJW's experience. Information. Then intimated boxing punches & karate punches do different things... a suggestion along those lines.... when the subject was raised suggesting karate punches are 'weaker' than boxing punches. Then the point fighting is inferior to contact fighting issue sprung up.

If posters are determined to make a mis-mash out the OP, I'm bowing out.<Oku03>

i just hope the next time this topic comes up 6-9 months from now we can point to this thread and the videos i found and shared, to come to a conclusion that he at least knows a bit of what he's talking about.

someone doesn't have to fight for a national or world title to know what they're talking about(often seems to be the metric it seems like). i hope we can all agree on that as well

I thought I made it pretty clear in my first post that its possible to have little to no fight experience and still be knowledgeable on a subject.......still there is a difference from knowing how to do something, and being able to do something, and being able to use that something. know how to shoot a basketball? awesome! Can nail 3 pointers at the park all day? Awesome! can nail the game winning 3 pointer at the buzzer of the championship game? A little different.

we had a huge thread a while ago about coaches that never fought. They are out there, and can be great coaches, but they are the exception to the rule. Being the champion of the world isnt a requirement to be a good coach, or know what your talking about, or knowledgeable about a subject....but at least some fight experience GENERALLY is......how great can a football coach be that has never played a real game of football on a competitive team? It doesnt even really matter if its a combat sport, as long as its a rough sport where injury etc can happen, like hockey, football, rugby, etc. Its best to have a coach that has experienced it. Walking across a 2x4 is easy, walking across a 2x4 1 mile in the air, is a bit harder, but your still just walking across a 2x4, so whats the difference? For every person that trains but has not fought in the ring, most of the time, the answer is they are not able to overcome the fear of stepping into the ring, people can come up with all kinds of other "reasons" but at the end of the day, thats why most people dont "fight", the fear.

Check out this blog from Damien Trainor, regarding a excerpt from a book he read about Wayne Gretzky. A coach that knows what its like to step on the "battlefield" of the Ice Rink when the stanley cup is at stake, is going to be better than a coach thats never played a game of hockey in his life, regardless of how much he hast studied hockey (unless he is the rare exepction to the rule). Please believe those guys are pretty much trying to kill each other on the ice with the checking etc.

https://www.damientrainor.com/thats-how-you-win-championships

But yeah dude, a famous actor who has studied martial arts his entire life and competed a bit im sure is knowledgeable. I just think his fame from acting probably gave his martial arts career a little boost. Nothing wrong with that, more power to him. like i said in my first post, i didnt know if he had any fight experience or not, and know that I know he does, I dont view him as just a actor.

Last edited:
this thread shows quite good a cultural difference. Americans just LOVE to glorify their actors and regarding fight actors all you need is some pixely 70s/80s amateur stuff to discuss at lenght why they might be legit.

Its close to nonexistent here and I am thankful for that.
Same in russia they know the difference.

Guess it all started with Lee when the real badasses who trained multiple ma also had real fights back then and developed mma (John Bluming etc) the american audience and a lot of ma practitioners glorified the esoteric mumbojumbo Lee copied and "proved" with his trashy (but funny) movies. No Lee did not have one legit fight (but he "studied boxing <Lmaoo>) but tons of fantasy stories. MJW is a successor of that lineage. Dont fight, have a big mouth and show of cool clips. Well it works as its all about being a celebrity.

damn muricans! lol.

Yeah the Bruce Lee cult following is so silly, so many people think he is the undefeatable little ninja and he can beat someone like mike tyson or what not. I said it on here many times. Bruce Lee was exceptionally fast and strong for his size, he was a great martial artist, but what he is known for and best at was his movies and philosphies. His philiosphies were "game changing" at the time, but hes no different than chuck norris or jackie chan or something, you dont see people running around saying jackie chan is a undefeatable ninja, that would be silly, but somehow its not sillywhen its bruce lee, and he is capable of beating mike tyson, bob sapp, and ernesto hoost at the same time. Bruce lee is so bad ass he plays ping pong with num chucks!

Back