1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Cotto Martinez RBR

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Old Cat, Jun 7, 2014.

1. PHATV Boss Belt Platinum Member

Same. I'm happy for Cotto and he looked great, but that was frankly a little sad. I was hoping for a good fight out of both of them---and with props to Cotto for being the cause of that, it doesn't appear Martinez is capable of a good fight at this point. I hope he hangs them up. He should not fight another top-level boxer again.

2. number9dream Blue Belt

Martinez is a complete warrior for not wanting to quit despite barely being able to walk on that leg... and he had the classiest post fight interview ever, 0 excuses, only props to Cotto. Amazing.

Very disappointed that the fight went the way it did (didn't have a favorite in the fight, but I like watching close matches and this wasn't one), but Cotto deserves props even so.

3. Seano Hands of bone

Not all of us. A few of us saw this matchup for what it was.

4. Seano Hands of bone

I'm not sure I agree. He lied to himself thinking he's been fighting guys on Cotto's level all along.
    People can say, "Oh it was his knee!" I saw Sergio almost knocked out from the first left hook Cotto landed. He could not take Cotto's punches.

He claimed his knee was shot against Murray, and he managed to outlast Murray. Cotto is on a different level.

5. TeamVamos Purple Belt

That's exactly what happened yet guys on here are making it seem like Cotto had Sergio's number or had his kryptonite. The way guys are on here talking is like Sergio was a bum who just got lucky with punches or something in all his fights.

Cotto fought and beat down a Sergio at around 20%, Martinez wasn't bouncing in + out, he wasn't throwing combos(at all really), never threw his left hand, never changed angles on Cotto, he even fought with his hands up lol. To think that he even looked close to how he use to is essentially an example of ppl exhibiting their biases to get the best of them and venting their prior frustrations with a fighter and essentially pulling the same "Oh i think he can lose this next fight" nonsense until the guy eventually losses and then pulling the "I told you so" card. It was like when Pacman lost twice in a row ppl were trying to discredit his wins and ability

6. Seano Hands of bone

eh, don't be a sore loser.

Sergio was fine when he came in the ring. Cotto's punches that made him fall all over the ring are the reason his knee gave out.

Sergio told the truth of it in the post fight interview. Cotto caught him cold and Sergio could never recover.

Sergio was the same guy he was against Murray.

I'm watching the 4th round right now and MArtinez is bouncing around, jabbing- Cotto is a much better fighter is all. He's not Paul Williams, who dove face first into Sergio's fist. He's not Kelly Pavlik who was a raging alcoholic.

7. Seano Hands of bone

5th round- he's still bouncing around, looks exactly the same as he always did other than the quality of opponent in front of him.

8. MANIAC123 Yolo Belt

Just watched the fight was kind of bad watching that near the end.

Is Martinez retiring now then?

9. Athenry04 Red Belt

If I was him maybe one farewell fight in Argentina, sell out an arena somewhere against a beatable opponent, and then enjoy his money and future.

10. Seano Hands of bone

I think Cotto ended his career last night. You don't recover from a beating like that.

11. JuanLeche Purple Belt

Martinez still hasn't been any A level fighters yet.

12. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Right about $225, and ya.

13. Seano Hands of bone

Fans think every big puncher is being ducked.

14. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

That was the whiskey sours speaking.

15. rikwebb Brown Belt

You watch it'll be Cotto vs Soliman.

Loved the way Cotto moved throughout the fight. Those hooks really are frightening at times. Plus am i right in remembering that he was also landing double straight rights at times too?